Stoptail vs Fine Tune Stoptail

guitar (gu)rube

Inspiration, move me brightly…
Hey folks! What are your thoughts on the regular McCarty stoptail vs the fine tune stoptail option? I currently have the regular stoptail on my ‘18 McCarty. No issues whatsoever. Just curious if you think the fine tune is an obvious upgrade, or feel that “if it ain’t broke…”?

Hey folks! What are your thoughts on the regular McCarty stoptail vs the fine tune stoptail option? I currently have the regular stoptail on my ‘18 McCarty. No issues whatsoever. Just curious if you think the fine tune is an obvious upgrade, or feel that “if it ain’t broke…”?
If your not going to use very large strings with a wound 3rd and / or tune down below D Standard, the regular stoptail is just fine.

On a Core guitar, I wouldn't make the swap. I take that back. I had a SC Ted that I put 7s on and had intonation problems. Probably more on my grip than anything else. I put an adjustable tail on it (MannMade 2300) and was able to get it dialed in. I had two SEs (One and Bernie Marsden) that I upgraded to the MannMade 2300. I'd say a little more sustain and improved note clarity.

On a Core guitar, I wouldn't make the swap. I take that back. I had a SC Ted that I put 7s on and had intonation problems. Probably more on my grip than anything else. I put an adjustable tail on it (MannMade 2300) and was able to get it dialed in. I had two SEs (One and Bernie Marsden) that I upgraded to the MannMade 2300. I'd say a little more sustain and improved note clarity.
Nice, and thanks for the info!

FWIW, I play regular 10-gauge strings in standard tuning, and I switched out a standard stoptail for an adjustable stoptail on my McCarty and haven't detected a difference. (So why did I do it? Just to do it, I suppose. But I'm keeping it because the hint of brass/gold tones in the adjustable saddles matches better with the hybrid hardware on my particular guitar.)

I would expect that the distinction between the two bridges would be if you're using a non-standard string set or some crazy alternate tuning that's far away from "standard." Or if you want to go old-school and use a wound 3rd string--for sure that would throw your intonation off. But just D'Addario 10's in standard A440? No difference.

FWIW, I play regular 10-gauge strings in standard tuning, and I switched out a standard stoptail for an adjustable stoptail on my McCarty and haven't detected a difference. (So why did I do it? Just to do it, I suppose. But I'm keeping it because the hint of brass/gold tones in the adjustable saddles matches better with the hybrid hardware on my particular guitar.)

I would expect that the distinction between the two bridges would be if you're using a non-standard string set or some crazy alternate tuning that's far away from "standard." Or if you want to go old-school and use a wound 3rd string--for sure that would throw your intonation off. But just D'Addario 10's in standard A440? No difference.
Thanks for the info!

I have my Custom 22 set up with 10-46 strings and it stays tuned to Drop C#, I've had no intonation or tuning stability issues with this setup. As long as the guitar has the truss rod adjusted correctly and the string tension is correct, there shouldn't be too many problems with intonation. That said, you're always going to have BETTER intonation accuracy with the adjustable stoptail.

If you're using standard tuning and standard string gauges, the regular stoptail is actually better in my opinion. Fewer moving parts to rattle or buzz, and no chance of individual saddles detuning during a string change. It also looks and feels nicer.

The fine-tune stoptail is a great solution if you like weird tunings or string gauges, but I just play standard tuning on a set of 10s, and the regular stoptail intonates perfectly. I wouldn't change it.

If you're using standard tuning and standard string gauges, the regular stoptail is actually better in my opinion. Fewer moving parts to rattle or buzz, and no chance of individual saddles detuning during a string change. It also looks and feels nicer.

The fine-tune stoptail is a great solution if you like weird tunings or string gauges, but I just play standard tuning on a set of 10s, and the regular stoptail intonates perfectly. I wouldn't change it.
Thanks! I appreciate the info! That’s what I’m leaning towards. Plays great as it is!

I second this. When I played the stoptail for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised. Perfect intonation (and I mean spot on), no edgy, moving parts, tone for days etc. I would only consider an adjustable bridge if the intonation was noticably off, but it is not.

And as a bonus it looks very slick and soucy.

This ^^^

the regular Stoptail is 'perfect' for the majority of people. Its rock solid and works for standard tunings and gauges.

If you want to play around with weird tunings, extreme string gauges (very heavy/light) especially a mix, or experiment with a 'wound' 3rd, then the 'standard' non adjustable hard tail won't be for you. The Wound 3rd for example would really screw up the intonation as the standard is designed for the standard 3 wound, 3 plain strings. I think they did make one for wound 3rds.

The adjustable, which I have on my HBii is great too but that also comes with a wound 3rd as standard and the Piezo too of course. I don't know that it would be an 'upgrade' though - especially as you have not had any issues with the standard one. I could understand if you struggled to intonate with the grub screws with the strings you prefer, but as you have no issues thus far, then you don't 'need' to replace it. The Adjustable is really for those people that are not 'conventional' with their tunings, string gauge etc that requires more fine tuning of the intonation.

The Standard is a bit like buying a Acoustic with the Bridge saddles (and therefore intonation) already fixed in. That 'shape' (usually a slanted 4, then 2 for the plain strings) is similar on the Standard - except you have 3 and 3 slants because Electrics have 3 wound and 3 plain. You do get a bit more adjustment with the Grub screws but the exact same principal is in play with these. You don't get 'individual' adjustable saddles on an acoustic...

I've never owned hard tail guitars with anything but the adjustable bridge. I like them, especially since I've tried like a gazillion different string gauges and brands. I like being able to tweak the intonation, but I probably wouldn't touch it on a core model.

I bought a used SC 245 that came with the adjustable tailpiece which I swapped for one of the Paul's guitar tailpieces with the brass inserts.

My reasons for doing this were:

1) I liked the idea of the brass inserts and I was able to get one at a fair price (this was before they were commonly available other than on the Paul's guitar)
2) I didn't particularly care for the adjustable unit in terms of how it looked
3) I've had really good experiences with the standard PRS tailpieces in terms of intonation and tone

Immediately after installing it, I felt like it improved the sound of the instrument.

I installed another brass insert tailpiece on a McCarty and I don't think it made a difference good or bad but on the SC 245 it made a decent guitar sound great and I think it was just the replacement of the adjustable tailpiece.

Long story short: I think the non-adjustable tailpieces sound better.

Cheers,

-Dana

IMG_4288m.jpg

Back