Stereo guitar amps

My new Orange Rocker 32 is a game changer for me. Stereo buffered effects loop allows for left and right wet and dry signal output. Plenty of power for the stage, I use a Pair of beta 57a to send to separate channels on the board, adding a stereo direct box soon.

Yeah, what Les said.

I used to run a stereo rig, but finding a soundman willing to dig up another 57 was kind of rare, not to mention the amount of clubs that still run their PA in mono.
This!

Go to all the trouble of a stereo set up only to have sound guy combine the signals into mono!

I used to run my system in stereo except subs were mono. I played with making lead singer stereo but the sound guys I was using weren't doing anything with it so I quit doing that.

Roland JC-22 and JC-40 are true stereo with R & L inputs as well as the famous stereo chorus. Roland makes the best solid state amps IMO.

Roland JC-22 and JC-40 are true stereo with R & L inputs as well as the famous stereo chorus. Roland makes the best solid state amps IMO.

The problem is that speakers need to be separated by more than one or two inches for listeners to actually perceive a stereo image. So while an amp like the Roland or the recently reissued Magnatone can have stereo inputs, a two channel amp, and two speakers, you’re not getting a stereo image, though you might get more interesting “swirl”.

To prove this to yourself, put a pair of hi fi speakers or studio monitors right next to each other and see what happens to the stereo image. It becomes pretty much monophonic. A stereo image requires distance between speakers so that each ear hears a different signal.

Why aren't there more amps in stereo? You have to go rack-based or have multiple heads in order to run a rig in stereo. When I was in high school in the early 90s I had a stereo 2x12 combo, a Fender M-80 chorus. It was a lousy sounding amp because it was all solid state, but at least the idea was there. That's the only self contained stereo guitar amp I have ever seen.

I don't know enough about power amp circuitry to say how to make it possible, but wouldn't it be great if guitar amps had say two independent power sections and using a switch on the back of the amp, could either run in mono or stereo? Why don't they build this? You can buy all tube stereo power amps for home entertainment, and there are a few who do it in racks, but you almost never see it anywhere.

John,

Awesome question. I think the reason is that the speaker separation prevents that in most combo amps. Otherwise, one could have an amp head with 2 speaker cabs (as many do with extension cabs). Combo amps would need to be built with speakers that have adequate speaker separation. The only concern might be you might only have a L/R speaker channel, not true stereo.

(EDIT: What Les says above...)

Perhaps some smart builder out there could create an effects pedal or audio box that would divide dual amp speaker outputs and create true stereo sound. Otherwise, it would just be L/R outputs?

Swart makes a couple great stereo amps......They feature two power amps is a single chassis. I can appreciate the limitations of having, generally, a mono out from the guitar. However, there is also a great deal of flexibility in creating 2 different sounds by varying effects, EQ, etc.

Also, there are some ways to provide good separation with a single (reasonably sized) cabinet. Here is an example of something I built for that purpose. (Disclaimer....I used a design similar to the one Michael Swart sells, but with a few tweaks).

Swart makes a couple great stereo amps......They feature two power amps is a single chassis. I can appreciate the limitations of having, generally, a mono out from the guitar. However, there is also a great deal of flexibility in creating 2 different sounds by varying effects, EQ, etc.

Also, there are some ways to provide good separation with a single (reasonably sized) cabinet. Here is an example of something I built for that purpose. (Disclaimer....I used a design similar to the one Michael Swart sells, but with a few tweaks).

Dig!

Of course, unless the guitar has stereophonic pickups and output jacks, it's simply mono with two speakers. I suppose you could run an effect into one channel and not the other with a splitter box. , or use a stereo effect that, say, bounces delays from one channel to the other. Etc.

I went through a phase where I bi-amped for a while.

It started when for a couple of years I was with an outfit playing concert volume rock&roll, outdoors.
For a while I used an Ampeg V4 & 4X12” cabinet.
Then expanded to an additional 1X12” cabinet so the drummer could hear me.
The 1X12 cabinet had a Celestion Mesa Black Shadow speaker, which could be heard above the 4X12 cab because it cut through better.

This led to an additional Ampeg VT-40 amp, which I set for highs, then let the V4 provide “oomph” and wallop, underneath.

Then I split my guitar signal through a stereo chorus set to minimum, and added a delay to one leg. Sounded huge! Suddenly I understood why a Tom Scholz Rockman w reverb sounded the way it did.
I was accused of using a Dumble because it sounded a bit like Robben Ford (the sound, if not the chops).

Eventually I was using a Mesa Stereo 295 stereo power amp, Quad preamp, and earplugs! I ran the delay through the effects loop and split it. It was essentially bi-amping with delay on one bounce with no initial pulse on one side.
Not stereo really, just thickened bi-amping, but sounded great and the speaker array wasn’t all that sensitive to placement.

Last edited:
For a couple years, I also owned a pair of custom matching Mesa Lonestar heads and 2x12 V30 closed back cabs, all in orange tan leather. LOUD and could rattle the entire house from basement up.

Eventually downsized those, moved on, and after a couple years, settled on a couple Mustang IIIs.

I don't think I've got pics of the Mesa's (was before owning my Mac computers), but maybe the Mustangs somewhere. Used one of the Mustang's line outs for recording...still monaural, yet could only use my DAW for creating stereo soundtracks...

Oh yeah. That stuff is heavy!

I traded it all in for light tweed combos eventually.

Yeah...though funny you should mention it...this afternoon I had some time away from my paying job and looked through old scrapbooks for my old gear. Uploaded a bunch to my computer via my copier/scanner...

Here's the LoneStars and my gigging Blues Deluxe RI from '09...

Z6Yg4c1.jpg

I used a Rivera S120 stereo amp head from 1990 to 2015. 60x60 watt, EL34 powered, stereo effects loop, 2 channels, chorus....it was KILLER - actually it still is, it's just not my tone anymore, so it sits in the gear closet with numerous Rivera cabs. They are seriously overbuilt, and have tons of tonal options.

Here's a pic of the Riveras - along with an old Egnater, and my Tremolux.

I also used to have a "Stereo" rig, when I was the only guitarist in a band we had.
What I did was use two different amps located left and right of the drummer.
Both amps were set clean and I used my TC Nova System's stereo output to drive them.
One amp was a Laney LC15R EL84 in a 2x12" Celestion Greenback loaded combo cab made for a Matchless (which I still have),
the other one was a Marshall JTM30 2x10" combo (once favoured by David Grissom...) which I stupidly sold.
The stereo Chorus and delays of the Nova System and the different sounding amps created a massive sound despite the one amp being only 15W and the other one being 30W...
22012011226.jpg

BTW, the guitar is a 1996 Custom 24 I had with Graphtech piezo saddles...

Well, I started this thread a long time ago. This is my rig now.

IvRvoHF.jpg

I'm using the Mesa 20/20 for the power amp and the head as a preamp only. I converted the 2x12 to run in stereo. It all sounds pretty good. I use a Boss DD-6 set 100% wet and with maybe 15-20 ms delay time, one repeat only. That inline with the fx return to one side of the amp simulates stereo when no effects are generating stereo tones.

along with an old Egnater
I have one of those too but still think of it as new, but you're right, I guess I've had it 8 or 9 years now. The one in the photo above I've been playing as my #1 amp for 20 years, bought it new.

I'm saving for a Roland JC40 to stack on top of my Supersonic 22. Lush stereo, stacked with the punch of the Fender - should be good.

To run properly I will need 3 mics, and money to bribe the sound man. I plan to build a mic rig for this. Combined with my planned purchase of a Custom 24, I should be able to get a huge range of tones. All my life I've been a guitar > delay pedal > amp kinda guy, but I've been exploring expanding my palette.

I built one some years back and its awesome. It is more mics. and in tube amps its always half the headroom for the same weight, if thats an issue. Plus you absolutely must carry 2 speakers

I owned a GK stereo amp setup in the 80's for playing all that shimmering chorus laden Nu-Wave crap. I ended up stacking them in one place instead of spread on each side of the stage, it just wouldn't cut thru the mix that way.

*The fact of the matter is: It NEVER comes across in a live/stage situation and having your sound in one location is by far more controllable for you and the sound tech. The only time it sounds cool is when you're playing by yourself in the garage with a delay pedal pretending you're Andy Summers.o_O

......... that's right you buncha guitargeeks, I'm back.:cool:

Back