Static Noise From Pickguard on S2 Standard 24

Wayne W

I bought a new PRS S2 Standard 24 in 2016. Recently I started hearing an occasional "blip" of static while playing-I'd hear it for less than 1 second with no rhyme or reason.

Last night I discovered that if my finger hits the pickguard near the bridge pick up it creates this momentary static sound. So I started to tap lightly on the pickguard near the bridge pup with my finger and I can recreate the static each time. It doesn't happen anywhere else on the pickguard, i.e. I can't duplicate the problem on the by tapping anywhere else in on the pickguard.

This weekend I plan to open her up and take a look. I'm curious if someone thinks this could be a shielding issue with the pickguard vs a loose wire or problem with my pick up. Just looking for some thoughts...

You sure it's not just static electricity? If you're in a wintry climate, the humidity could be very low inside your house. I've seen people post about that regarding guitars with large pickguards. The usual suggestion is to rub the guard down with a dryer sheet prior to playing. May be worth a try.

You sure it's not just static electricity? If you're in a wintry climate, the humidity could be very low inside your house. I've seen people post about that regarding guitars with large pickguards. The usual suggestion is to rub the guard down with a dryer sheet prior to playing. May be worth a try.

Thanks for your reply Garrett. That static electricity turned out to be the issue. I rubbed the pickguard down with a dryer sheet last night and that fixed the issue. Thanks again!

Back