Standard 24 nut replacement disaster

Seanalmet

Just tried to replace the stock nut on my Standard 24 with a Graphtec nut. After removing the old nut, it seems as though a fair amount of wood stuck to the old nut, now, neither the old nut or new nut will fit in the slot. I can put the old nut in and the guitar is playable. The nut will either sit flush with the fretboard edge or flush with the neck, but not both. Is this guitar ruined, or will a luthier be able to salvage it?

The nut needs to sit flush with the fretboard edge for intonation. The guitar’s not ruined. If you don’t have the right tools or knowledge to change out the nut or make the repair then take it to a luthier and have them take a look at it. Cheer up it’s fixable.

Thanks for the encouragement! Now if I can only find a luthier who's considered essential!

When I replaced the original strings, I put 10s on and it would not stay in tune.

I don't know if the Graphtec is the right size. When I replaced a nut on my PRS I ordered a McCarty nut and it was a direct drop in replacement. You might want to try that.

No, unfortunately my local guitar shop is closed and I've already messed it up enough. After things start opening back up I will take it in and have it fixed.

Been thinking about upgrading the nut on my Standard 24. Just wondering, if it is universally accepted that a high quality nut makes a world of difference with tone and tunability...why would PRS put inferior nuts on any of their guitars? I mean, they are usually less than $20 retail for the top of the line ones (probably a fraction of that to the manufacturer). Why not just put the best nut available on all models?

That’s because SEs are cut for 9’s. You could have filed the nut out a tiny bit.
Knew the nut was cut for 9's. I didn't want to spend the money for a tool I would probably only use once, and the new nut was only $11. It did say it was a direct replacement for the Standard 24. Not exactly truthful

Knew the nut was cut for 9's. I didn't want to spend the money for a tool I would probably only use once, and the new nut was only $11. It did say it was a direct replacement for the Standard 24. Not exactly truthful
You can use a string as a file to widen the slot.

Back