Stainless steel frets

Huggy Love

Vintage member
Any of our members have any real world experience with having any of their PRSi retrofitted with this newest wave of guitar technology. I'm planning to take the plunge and just wanted to hear any praise or pitfalls that you have on the subject. I know they feel good, look a little too shiny, last a gazillion years, and some say it brightens up the tone of the instrument (although I've read equally that the difference is indiscernible to the ear).

I know PRSh says nickel sounds better, I've listened to the vids comparing the two online and couldn't tell the difference............ but maybe I have a tin ear.:oops:

Last edited:
The main qualms I've heard from my Luthier were cost, and difficulty with working them. They are hard on tools and I guess the return is they last forever. I was offered them on a refret of a strat I had done about 3 yrs. ago. I decided against them. They are shiny....

I have them on two guitars. They actually feel harder kind of like polished stone might. Both guitars have extra jumbo SS6100. Don't really notice a tone difference though my strat is quite bright I think that has more to do with the fatback roast maple neck. I also did my first refret on an old Les Paul using EVO wire. If you don't mind the slight gold tint it's hardness is between stainless and regular nickel silver. It feels more like nickel silver.

I know PRSh says nickel sounds better, I've listened to the vids comparing the two online and couldn't tell the difference............ but maybe I have a tin ear.:oops:
LOL I’ll be surprised if there is any difference in tone. They’re both metals and frankly, nickel is a component in stainless steel too. There can’t be much difference in the way one metal carries string vibration versus another, especially when they’re so similar in hardness and stiffness. Compared to a long wood neck, small hard metal frets are like an immovable object that cannot significant influence string vibration.

Look up stainless steel composition and you’ll find that the most basic 304 grade has at least 8 percent nickel and 18 percent chromium.

In the end we’re all talking about nickel alloys and unless we know the exact grade and alloy composition, not to mention the hardness of each material, the typical net conversation about ‘nickel vs stainless’ doesn’t make much sense.

What makes a difference is the hardness which affects fret wear. I believe that’s the only factor when considering stainless.

I have a PRS guitar in order with SS frets and I look forward to immortal fret life.

Last edited:
I’ve never played a PRS with SS frets, much less the same PRS before it had SS frets. My Cabronita has a roasted maple neck with SS 6100s and the whole guitar is very “live”, not necessarily bright. It’s impossible to know if that’s due just to the frets, but I doubt it. “Influence” is a better word.

I recently had my Fender tele re-fretted with SS. I love it. (I also increased the fret size). Smooth as glass, no more fret wear (as I am 50, my luthier said it was very likely it may NEVER need another refret, since I'm not a professional player).

I love them enough that from now on when a guitar needs refretted, I will ALWAYS go with SS. Does it brighten the tone? Yes, it does, about 5%- you REALLY have to listen to hear it. Of course, us nutball gear/tone hounds who pay FAR too close attention to this kind of stuff will hear it. BUT... the superior feel of SS, and the longevity (I REALLY don't like giving my guitars up to be held and worked on for weeks) trumps any tonal change for me, and the tonal change is so slight as to be almost irrelevant. It's LESS of a tonal change than putting on a new set of strings.

LOVE SS frets. I'm sold.

SS fret installs are only difficult if the guitar tech tries to use the same methods they always used on the other wire such as cut or get all the frets at the same length, press in, nip off the excess against the fretboard. Doing that on SS risks tear out of the fretboard as the wire cuts more by a fast snap than a gummy pinch. They just need to cut each fret to the length of the slot and then press it in. One cut instead of three (initial uniform length cut, one side then the other side of the neck).

Pricing is higher for SS jobs or guitars because it takes the guitar tech a different technique they feel is slower and buyers will pay for longer durability.

Not sure if it's true or not, but I've seen Paul claim they order their regular fret wire at the top end of the hardness spec to make their normal frets last longer. True or talk? So many PRS guitars stay in cases and are only removed to ogle the paint finish that the population of worn down frets must be small or at least difficult to evaluate what is the true wear expeiences.

Any guitars I build or refret get stainless steel, I don't even mess with regular fret wire anymore.

Just wanted to add: part of the reason SS refrets cost more is that they destroy a set of nippers. My luthier showed me his nippers (which he bought JUST for my refret) after the job was done, and they were not in great shape. SS is HARD, that's why it lasts so much longer. The upcharge is worth the smooth feel and durability, imo.

I know of a few people (inc Pete Thorn) who has SS frets and 'refretted' some guitars with SS - only to say it affected the sound and regretted it. Even changing the size/shape of frets can have a noticeable difference on tone - watch Dan (of That Pedal Show) talk about 'Red' (his Telecaster) which was refretted recently for at least the second time. The first time, Dan opted for a different fret and that changed the tone - something he regretted and this time opted for the size of fret he had originally. To him, that was massive - he got 'his' guitar back after 'years' of pitting up with the 'mistake' of changing fret size.

I am not saying that this will be your experience too with your PRS. It can't be easy to find someone who will use the same 'hardness' or composition of Nickel frets that PRS use. Unless you can, then chances are you will end up with 'Standard' Nickel and incur the same 'wear'.

Stainless Steel though isn't exempt from wear though - something people seem to think. If you use Stainless Steel Strings, strings that are equally as hard, these will cause wear on SS frets too. Using SS strings on Nickel frets cause the frets to wear faster because the strings are harder than the frets, using Nickel strings on a SS fret guitar will wear the strings faster - not usually too much of problem for some as they are forever changing strings after a show or two. However if you are someone who doesn't change strings that often, and use a Nickel string (often the wound strings are wound with Nickel around a SS core), the SS will wear the strings more.

This article is where I got my information from regarding wear: http://www.wiredguitarist.com/2016/07/21/nickel-vs-stainless-steel-frets/

To quote some Paragraphs from this Article that are quite useful;
It’s important to note that not all nickel frets are the exact same and that there’s no actual silver in nickel-silver alloy frets. Due to high content of zinc added in the alloy, Jescar NS formula frets are, in my opinion, some of the best nickel frets on the market. Another example of this would be that PRS uses extremely hard nickel frets on their instruments (such as the beautiful Custom 24), which are on par with a lot of stainless steel frets out there.

Stainless steel frets are well known for their corrosion resistance and extra long-lasting alloy. It’s an assumption that they almost never wear, which is somewhat true. When paired with nickel strings, the stainless steel frets take very little damage and wear from the friction due to the alloy being much stronger than the string alloy. On the other hand, when paired with stainless steel strings, the frets will wear just as quickly as nickel frets paired with nickel strings.

One of the nicest things about SS frets is how smooth they feel. Bending your strings over them feels like absolute butter. I will mention however, that a really high quality fret job with nickel frets can yield similar results.

There are some cons to SS frets though. Being such a dense and heavy metal, they tend to be destructive!!

If you take your guitar to someone to get a refret, or any fretwork, chances are you are going to get majorly upcharged for SS frets. They have a tendency to destroy tools, such as fret cutters, quite quickly. Although paying a bunch for a fret job sucks when using stainless steel, paying for multiple fret jobs on nickel frets might be even worse…

Some claim that SS frets tend to wear down their strings faster than their nickel counterparts. This is probably due to the softer metal on the strings being rubbed off by SS frets. I tend to change all of my strings every 2 weeks so this isn’t a big concern for me, but it may be for someone who doesn’t want to be inconvenienced by constantly changing strings.

SS frets can and do wear but whether they wear enough in your lifetime of ownership may depend on whether or not the guitar remains 'number 1' for years and how you play it After all it does depend on playing style too, whether you use a capo a lot etc. If you are bending a lot and pressing string down hard against the fret (as a Capo does) then Fret and/or string wear will be much greater.

All of this though is dependant on the player and the guitar. I know Pete Thorn would never refret a Les Paul with SS Frets because of the sound but also loves SS in his Suhr. There are players who are so much more aware of the little differences, the different nuances in the audio. You can see that by Players that can pick up Les Pauls in a Shop and, after playing, know which one sounded the best whilst others can play them all and say they all sound the same, sound like a Les Paul. If you have watched Anderton's, the Blind Challenges, Chappers has an amazing ear to hear such minute differences that others just can't or don't hear.

You may well be more like the Captain and not hear the difference the SS frets make but may notice how it feels - not that PRS frets feel much different to me - the bigger difference was the neck shape to me much more than the way a string felt when bending. You maybe more like Chappers who notice the tone has changed - for the better or worse will depend on your opinion so I will just say its 'different'.

Its not my choice and not my guitar so you have to decide. It seems to me that SS frets may well be the better option for you as they may well last a lot longer than another 'standard' Nickel which is not as hard as the fret wire PRS use, and certainly not as hard as SS. If you do have a change in tone, there is nothing to say that you won't prefer it or even notice it. If you can hear and not overly keen on the tone, you may be able to EQ it differently to get back to the 'tone' you prefer.

There is no right/wrong answer here. Even if someone has had it done, has found its brightened up the tone a bit, doesn't mean to say you will notice or even not prefer it - not just a bit brighter tone but also the feel. For Pete Thorn, putting SS frets in some guitars is an absolute NO but he also wouldn't want 'Nickel' on some of his guitars too. For Dan (TPS), fret shape had a big impact - not a positive one - for his Tele. We are all different and prefer different things as well as notice things differently too. We could all say No as we don't like the change(s) that may affect the guitar but for you its a perfect thing to do - better wear, better feel and better tonal balance or we could all say do it because everything is 'better' but for you, the change is not to your liking.

I would say that if you can get some really hard Nickel frets, like the ones PRS use, that may well be the best option as its unlikely to affect anything you are used to from a PRS. Whether you can do that or stuck between regular, softer nickel or SS frets, then perhaps SS is the closest to a regular PRS. It would be interesting to hear what choice you made and, if you do opt for SS, what you think of them - from a feel and from a tonal perspective.

Had my 92 CU24 refretted at Righteous back in August with SS frets since the originals were shot. Went with the closest size to the original PRS wire that they had. I love them, had them on a couple other guitars and really liked them then too. Haven't noticed any tonal differences in it and it's my #1 played guitar that I own, so I would hope that any change would be obvious for me. YMMV.

I've had SS frets on another brand of guitar. I ended up selling it. Smoooooooooth! Bends brought a smile to my face. And they stayed nice and shiny for quite a while. But ultimately I didn't like the sound of it.

I'm sure putting SS frets on a PRS will affect the tone, but as they say, YMMV. Some will hear the difference; others won't. Of those who do hear the difference, some will like it, some won't, and some won't care. Very subjective, indeed.

Considering this myself. I've owned guitars with SS frets, Suhr, Anderson, Schecter, been PRS favorite since my 1st in 94. The SS frets in the guitars mentioned had a nice feel and possibly a tad of brightness, what I noticed more than a tonal shift was the feel of SS. On a longer scale guitar with a compounded radius it seems to be a great fit. I honestly think PRS does not use SS frets as it's not the best match for his builds and I want to lean on that side of the fence. However, I have a pretty heavy attack and I seem to rut out fret wire quickly on PRS guitars I own. I spoke with a local hero luthier who will do the work I am just not so sure I want to. I don't want to re-fret in 5 years so I may give it a shot. Would feel more inclined if even one PRS build were offered this way, be it the Silver Sky or the NSf.. or any of the strat type builds or possibly one of the bolt on necks offered by PRS. Good thread. Would love to a/b one.
I guess my question to all the " SS frets are brighter, is it so bright it's a frequency outside of the EQ curve we all hear? I would think not, so it would be safe to say the brightness would be so that its unusable. If my rig cant tame a little high end I've got bigger issues than frets obviously. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
OK, after having it back for a while I can safely say that the tone shift is extremely minimal and I'm a Jazz playing clean channel stickler. The main difference is in the attack of the note and again the difference is hardly noticeable.

The nickel vs stainless debate is moot IMHO now.

Hey that's great news!! I'm taking the plunge.. I know that guitar feels beast with SS frets!!!

My first run at SS frets is just now happening, but I can’t imagine putting them on My PRSi. I’d really like to try that sometime. Tell us more!

Tell us more!

The feel is unique, like "this is how they shoulda felt in the first place" kinda thing. They're more finely polished so they feel more slippery to your hands on slides, the bends have no drag at all, makes me bend more and get bluesy. It could be just in my mind but they feel indestructible and that I can just rip away and that leads me to play more aggressively at times.

Before this it was my main jazz melody & improv axe for its rich tone but now it feels more like a fusion shredder able to do anything,

.......................... but then again it could just be in my mind cause I know they're steel.o_O

Last edited:
I have stainless steel frets on my bass (Suhr).

Mine are showing wear from playing.

Nickel plated steel strings are still made of steel.

YMMV

Back