My Quest for a PRS Santana Model

peplogic

Good Morning All,

I did some searching on the forum this morning, to see if the questions I will be asked have already be answered, but have not found what I was looking for. I fear that I am suffering from "Over educating myself" :)

Apologies if this is a re-post

I am looking to finally take the PRS plunge. The Santana Model has always been “The One” that I have lusted over (although the New McCarty looks fabulous). The Artist package looks just about perfect, but I believe I will have to go the Private Stock route for the following reasons.

• Substitute 57/08 Pickups for the Stock Santana Pickups (I am looking also at the new 58/15...any suggested links that compare the two pickups would be appreciated) - I am going for Blues/Classic Rock / up to Black Keys (Alternative? lol)
  • Substitute Rosewood Fret board with Ebony Fret board.
  • Possibility of a Fixed Bridge Vs Tremolo (If I go fixed will the wood still be routed out under the bridge for the trem?)
  • Possibility of using the McCarty neck with the Santa Body (It is supposedly just a skooch thinner and I have small Hands)

My budget is Sub 4K and I fear that the Private stock will take me over (way over)....Is the difference in wood between Artist package and Private Stock noticeably better? I’m thinking if I cannot get a fixed bridge than I might as well forgo the Ebony Fret board, get the Artist package and look on the used gear boards for 57/08's and have them swapped after the fact......

Please let me know if there are any community thoughts on this subject...I would be super interested if any one has any links comparing the 57/08 Pickups with the new 58/15's

Thank you

-Pep

Hi and welcome! For that budget, you will not find a Private Stock, especially with your specs.

Do you definitely want 24 frets? There is such a beast called a DC22, which is essentially a 22 fret, stoptail Santana with 59/09s. (and no, they won't route out the wood for the trem on a stoptail model). You may even love that guitar as is!

My other advice, is pick up a second hand 10-top Santana (trem, 24 fret) or DC22 (stoptail, 22 fret) and sent it to the PTC. They will install 57/08s for you (but not 58/15s...) and can also recarve the neck for your smaller hands (just pick a carve, pattern regular, regular D, pattern thin etc, you'll need to play some different guitars first to find out your favourite neck shape). Add in a push-pull (or 2) for coil tap and you'll cover a lot of sonic territory :)

Thx for the info. I did not no about the DC 22. It looks sweet and right up my alley. I did not know they could carve necks. I will have to get a quote. Thank you very much for the info. Regarding the 22 Vs 24 Fret question.......I have played 22 for the majority of my life......what do the extra 2 frets bring to the equation?

You get to play higher notes. :p

The biggest (other) difference is the tone from the neck pickup, basically the closer a pickup is to the bridge, the brighter it will be. I prefer 22 frets but I rarely get that high on the fretboard, unless I'm in the mood and it's appropriate for the band setting.

Yup shoot the PTC an email, but their approx. prices are on the site:

http://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/

Looks like with a second hand DC22, and a pickup swap (maybe...) and neck recarve you'll be well under budget :)

Also search this forum for "DC22", there's a bunch of good info including one from the guys that specced the 2 runs (Private Reserve? Or something).

I know because I read it all again recently ;)

As far as the neck goes I have small hands and have NO problem with the Santana neck carve in fact it is killer !!!
The Santana sports a 24.5 in scale with the 24 fret neck I found it a bit tight ( small ) way up high BUT really easy to play in the meat of the neck.
I always loved Ebony boards but PRS rosewood just kills
Great luck in your search

Hope this is ok to post...I work PT in a small shop in Westminster MD. And we have a NOS Santana with an awesome whale blue flame 10 we can't seem to move and it plays great. One very small ding on the face...and much closer to 3k than 4.

Back