Speaker swapping question -- mixing speaker types

Dusty Chalk

alberngruppenführer
I want to load one of my cabs (4x10) with two different types of speakers -- what specs do I need to make sure are the same? Power handling and impedance, and that's it, right?

Depends. You don't have to have the same power handling. I wouldn't mix speakers that were too far away in that area though (Depending on how much power the amp has, and how much the speakers handle).

What speakers are you going to mix, and with what amp will you use that cab?

What speakers are you going to mix, and with what amp will you use that cab?
Haven't decided yet, but the question came up, because I was looking through Eminence's speakers, and chose their "slowest" breakup mode, and only came up with one speaker -- the "Lil' Buddy" -- which had "subdued" high end response, and I wanted better high end response, so was trying to figure out what speakers to match it with. So was thinking two Lil' Buddies and two...? If I select "medium" breakup mode, then the choices become: Ragin' Cajun, Ramrod, Red Fang, RF10C, and that's just Eminence.

I have heard most of those. The Lil Buddy is a smoother speaker. The Ragin is more a Fender type, while the Ramrod is more brit voiced, and of course the Red Fang has the alnico vibe (and is VERY loud). What amp? What tones are you going after?

Going for articulate, clear tones on the clean channel. Trying to get a bit more of the high frequencies. I would just get 4 of the Lil Buddies, but it says it has no top end to it. So was going to do two and two. Or perhaps I should pull a Robert Randolph and use car speakers?

Probably the Archon.

If you play like Robert Randolph, it doesn't matter what speakers you use, you'll sound incredible! I saw him live on Austin City Limits and after 30 minutes declared him "The Jimi Hendrix of pedal steel guitar." That's high praise from a Hendrix freak like me.

Sorry for the hijack. For cleans, I'd go Red Fang. Alnico is it's own thing and the smooth fat tones from them are spectacular on clean stuff. I have the 12 and love it for that stuff.

You'll want to match impedance and sensitivity (dB/W-m). For power, you want to make sure that 4x the lowest-rated speaker power rating is at least as much as the amp power. Each speaker will get 1/4 of the power, regardless of the power rating. So 3 x 100W speakers + 1 x 25W speaker gets you 100W max, not 350W max power.

In an interesting twist, you CAN combine 4 Ohm speakers with 16 Ohm speakers as well. ( 2 x 16 Ohms in parallel) In series with (2 x 4 Ohms in series) will give you 16 Ohms total with each speaker getting 1/4 of the load.

OR

(2 x 16 Ohms in Parallel) in parallel with (2 x 4Ohms in series) gets you 4 Ohms total.

...and sensitivity -- yes, of course, should have thought of that.

Thanks for that. Yes, I probably should have qualified with, "if one didn't want to do the math", but honestly, I wasn't sure if the math wasn't anything more than Ohm's law regarding impedance.

...and Thanks, DTR, yeah, RR is the best! No worries about a slight tangent. I don't play anywhere near as well as him, but one has to have goals and high bars to challenge oneself. I thought I'd like the Red Fang, will see if I can give them a try. Might repurchase a Rivera Clubster that I happen to know has one in it.

Or I might do the math.

I know they cost a little more, but I think you'd like them for cleans.

Yeah, Robert is a beast!

Yeah, diagonally, absolutely, one type in the upper left and lower right, the other in the upper right and lower left.

Dusty, what did you end up doing? Were you happy with the results? I've never had a 4x10 cab and am curious where your research took you.

Nothing yet, sorry. Had to put everything on hold once I started doing my taxes. :oops:

Back