DeoxIT F5 rescues 40 year old Yamaha JX50.

Prina

Avoiding imperial entanglements
I'm sure this isn't really news to many if not most of the folks here, but just in case...

It hadn't been out of the closet for a long time and had really scratchy, hard to turn pots that quickly gave up the ghost to make the amp not give any output. After a little research I decided to try DeoxitF5, as opposed to the D5 which only has the cleaner but no lube. After hitting each pot with the F5 I followed some advice of not just doing a few turns but dozens to really clean the pots. For a few of the pots it took 40 full cycles before they really loosened up. Afterwards it sounds like new but with a now vintage speaker with a great Fender-ish clean sound.

A bonus was I got to see the innards and was really impressed with the '80s Japanese craftsmanship. Obviously it's not point to point but it's almost all discrete components (only 2 small op-amp ICs) on a thick single layer PCB with the two power transistors on a big aluminum heat sink.

Screenshot-2023-12-17-at-12-44-00-PM.png

I'm sure this isn't really news to many if not most of the folks here, but just in case...

It hadn't been out of the closet for a long time and had really scratchy, hard to turn pots that quickly gave up the ghost to make the amp not give any output. After a little research I decided to try DeoxitF5, as opposed to the D5 which only has the cleaner but no lube. After hitting each pot with the F5 I followed some advice of not just doing a few turns but dozens to really clean the pots. For a few of the pots it took 40 full cycles before they really loosened up. Afterwards it sounds like new but with a now vintage speaker with a great Fender-ish clean sound.

A bonus was I got to see the innards and was really impressed with the '80s Japanese craftsmanship. Obviously it's not point to point but it's almost all discrete components (only 2 small op-amp ICs) on a thick single layer PCB with the two power transistors on a big aluminum heat sink.

Screenshot-2023-12-17-at-12-44-00-PM.png
Really useful information, sounds like a great and simple fix!

I used to use de-oxit for things like cleaning brass TT patchbay plugs and similar mind-numbing routine tasks that nonetheless had to be done to maintain the studio.

It's a great product, and there are several variants.

There are those who prefer alcohol or distilled water, but...de-oxit just works!

Ok, gonna try this. I have the F5, but used the D5. It rescued my Santana’s volume pot, but for a short time only. Next step is new electronics for my 20 year old Santana.

Ok, gonna try this. I have the F5, but used the D5. It rescued my Santana’s volume pot, but for a short time only. Next step is new electronics for my 20 year old Santana.
I won't hazard to give advice on guitar electronics, and looks like most of the guys here have used the D5, but the lube in the F5 might help.

Perhaps @Bogner, @Greywolf or @SinSir have some experience in that area.

Back