Social marketing?

I have to say that I really enjoy being able to share my excitement about the instruments and amps here. Not to show off, it's really more about having a group that has similar interests to talk with.

My wife/family/friends roll their eyes when I start talking about guitars. Even my son, who's a musician, isn't much of a gear hound, so it's great to be able to share my interests.

Yes! Unfortunately you guys are the only ones who even pretend to be interested in me getting a new guitar, my musician peers play stupid brands of guitars.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;92648 said:
I think most of my buddies and I have discussed the significant impact of this (and other) forums on our need to procure more guitars.
How is that "thinning the herd" thing goin' for ya??? :tongue:

Putting some thought into the original post question. For me personally, it's not quite as extreme as being able to get something to "show off". I function a little bit like Les, under the terms of getting something to do a specific "job" that I can't already cover. HOWEVER - the social marketing MAY impact me on what type of upgraded features I want on that particular tool...um, err, guitar. Be it a 10 top/back, artist package, etc. It's actually helped me hone in on what I'd really like the guitar to have. What will make me appreciate the guitar a little more down the road, besides the fact that it's a great playing and sounding instrument. Kind of made me realize that I should go after my avatar guitar, which I drooled all over myself about for forever. I couldn't be happier that I decided to let one go, in order to be able to purchase it...I generally hate doing that. The reward was great though because I got something I lusted over for a long time and it makes me happier in the tone and looks department.

Last edited:
It's a problem for sure. The forums induce GAS, for sure. However, I am drawn to read and post about gear. It's a part of my personality that has no other outlet. My wife's a bass player and we can have gear conversations sometimes, but she's not a gearhead like me, and she's already got some of the best bass gear on the planet (Lakland bass, Ampeg SVT and 8x10) for her style.

Back