So, let’s say I wanted to turn a McCarty into a progressive metal machine..

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Johnny Rigs, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Andy80

Andy80 New Member

I play in drop C on my 245 and it's fine.

Johnny Rigs and LSchefman like this.
  2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

The 85/15s on my CU24 30th are very clear pickups that for whatever reason, seem to output more gain and brightness by far than my 57/08s, 58/15s or other pickups.

In fact, I run them around 6 on the guitar volume to get my tones with the guitar, because when I turn them up I get too much distortion. I bet they’d be great for what you’re doing. They have a ton of clarity.

Johnny Rigs likes this.
  3. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 New Member

You know the DW CE24 did sound great but honestly for jumping between Plini, BTBAM and Polyphia tones I actually prefer my Custom 24 with the 85/15’s, that’s part of the reason I decided to sell the DW. I’m playing through an MT15 now so I have plenty of gain on tap so the 85/15’s clarity and tightness really do well with the amps gain up and sound amazing clean, which is where the DW was lacking for me.

I think the \m/ 85/15 combo should work out for you pretty well though. I will say I have a Wolfetone Marshallhead in my Les Paul and he does wind a killer pickup that works well in warmer guitars so I bet he could wind you something really good as well.

Johnny Rigs likes this.
  4. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

I think a progressive rock guitar would be a 24 fret, trem (floating or floyd) guitar. Looks are subjective of course and this type of guitar often looks more 'metal' in general but John Petrucci guitars are more Prog Rock looking than Metal in general. Pick ups though I would say would be more 'Passive' for Prog Rock than Active for Metal but if I was looking for a Prog Rock guitar, the Custom 24 - perhaps more the P24 - would be my ideal in the PRS range.

Pedals would be important - more so than say seeking out a hotter PU than the 85/15's and use those to create the different soundscapes for Prog rock and the Piezo adding some chime as and when. The Piezo has been in John Petrucci's guitars for a while but Pick-ups like the 85/15's can clean up nice and easily when needed.

I know I mention Petrucci a lot but he is one who is current and a Prog Rock 'god'. Quuensryche are another band that I think of when I here Prog Rock and Marillion too if I want an 80's Prog Rock band. Any guitar can be used if you like the tone and features even if the look doesn't necessarily meet what you expect. In truth, I think any PRS guitar could do Prog Rock - the Silver Sky for example could as some prog rockers have used Strats.

If I am being honest, I would think the McCarty, with its fixed bridge and 22 frets is a bit more limited as a Prog Rock guitar - not that you couldn't use it with the right pedals. If you want an extended range (at least 25.5") fixed bridge option for drop C tunings that already have great pick-ups, I think the best option would be to look for a Mark Holcombe signature that come with his Signature Seymour Duncan Pups. He regularly plays in drop C and that was the main reason he wanted a 25.5" scale instead of the regular 25" PRS scale. There is a 7 String version coming soon too and PRS have made a PRS 277 baritone SE too. I don't know your financial situation but I really do think that the Holcombe would be something to seriously consider instead of modding your McCarty...

Warmart likes this.
  5. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

If you like Plini's tone, get the pickups (Suhr SSH+ and SSV he uses and check out the Architype - Plini Amp Sim he did with Neural.

Prog can have quite the range of tones, I don't think any one combination is going to get you all-the-things.

The other thing you can try is just using what you have and putting an eq pedal between the guitar and the overdrive. It can make a world of difference.

bodia and Johnny Rigs like this.
  6. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs Have you tried restarting?

At some point I gotta try this digital thing. Probably an Axe-FX III. Still tube amps so far for me. An EQ pedal is something I should try again as well. But you can only boost a JCM800 so much. Metal territory, sure. But saturated like an Archon, not that I’ve been able to do - with that amp or my Electra Dyne.

7. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

I actually grabbed the demo version of the sim and tried it with my UA Apollo, but, while the tones were very pleasing, and I *really* wanted to like it as something to use for a company setup, there was this latency I couldn't seem to get rid of. Not sure if it was completely in my head, but I wasn't looking for it, and it's something I noticed, so it's probably not all imaginary.

Contrast that with the Boss Wireless setup I got very recently, where I *was* expecting some latency, but do not actually notice anything at all.

If you want to get your JCM saturated, try layering it with an overdrive pedal, nothing extreme, as that can get a bit squirrely.

8. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

I'm right there with ya, Mozzi. :cool:

9. Utkarsh

Utkarsh A Les Paul guy who loves PRSs

So I actually did this experiment with a Mccarty (trem..err DGT). I have replaced the stock pickups with BK aftermaths and the guitar sits in C#
    The clarity is wonderful to behold, the large frets make playing technical stuff a breeze and high gain is handled like a champ. Maybe I'll make a video sometime but i will say this..i am strongly buying a second DGT to do the exact same thing to it but keep it in drop C

bodia, Johnny Rigs and Glide-bpm like this.
  10. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

I love the SD Pegasus and Sentient in my 7-string. They were specifically designed for progressive metal. Fantastic clarity and a nice midrange rip on the bridge pickup. I wouldn't hesitate to grab the 6-string version.

Johnny Rigs likes this.
  11. Summer

Summer New Member

Bottom line is you need to keep buying PRS guitars............. I'm fortunate to own three and they all have their place.
    Custom 24 with HFS/Vintage. guitar SCREAMS
    Custom 22 with 85/15 neck and bridge. really nice combination. Hot but just right for me
    594 DC with 58/15 LT in neck and a 58/15 in the bridge perfect for classic rock, blues, single coil sound if I need it, etc...
    Need it like a hole in the head but up next, hopefully next year, Silver Sky. Would love if they went to maple fretboard.

12. Johnny Rigs

Johnny Rigs Have you tried restarting?

Lol, I got myself into this by buying more PRS guitars. :p

Summer, gush, Boogie and 2 others like this.