So, let’s say I wanted to turn a McCarty into a progressive metal machine..

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
What pickups would I want to have in it?

I’ve been getting into some progressive metal lately. Plini, Intervals, Cloudkicker, some TesseracT. My McCarty is my only fixed bridge with a slighter longer scale. So I’d like to use it for Drop C tuning and some heavier gauge strings (maybe 11s will be enough).

It comes with stock 58/15 pickups, but I’m not feeling it so much. I like the output of the HFS in my CE22, but it’s too dark - a problem in general with the HFS to my ears. So I wouldn’t put one of those in the McCarty.

I’m thinking about pickups outside the PRS lineup as well. Maybe even seeing if my VB/HFS set can be rewound by another pickup maker to something else. I like the squabbin look.

It’s a rather broad question, but any pickup ideas?

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree on that one. I don’t know that you could make a McCarty with a mahogany neck and stoptail sound brighter than a CE with a HFS. Just my $.02, sorry to rain on the parade!

I’m into a lot of the same bands as you including some others like Between the Buried and me, Periphery and Polyphia. I’ve found my custom 24 with a swamp ash back, maple neck and maple top with 85/15s seem to be able to ball park all of their tones pretty well. That being said I am thinking of either putting some /m\s in it or possibly the Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega set.

If you look at the guitars those bands use you’ll see they normally use a swamp ash or mahogany back and a maple neck with 24 frets. I think that wood combo is a big part of the clear and articulate sound they get and I don’t know if you’d be able to replicate it with just pickups alone. If you wanted to try it though you might want to contact Bareknuckle pickups and tell them what you’re trying to do and see what they suggest.

You’re going to want a longer scale guitar for drop-C. Even heavy strings on the 25” McCarty will get be tough to play without fretting out of tune (due to low tension). I’d route a dragon 1 or \m/ into a 305 or just buy a Mushok Baritone.

Last edited:
You’re going to want a longer scale guitar from drop-C. Even heavy strings on the 25” McCarty will get be tough to play without fretting out of tune (due to low tension). I’d route a dragon 1 or \m/ into a 305 or just buy a Mushok Baritone.
It’s very possible that will happen. But I’ve watched a number of videos from Leon Todd (youtuber) who plays in drop c with an SC245 and it’s his number 1 guitar recording and gigging. So, idk.

I think you might be barking up the wrong tree on that one. I don’t know that you could make a McCarty with a mahogany neck and stoptail sound brighter than a CE with a HFS. Just my $.02, sorry to rain on the parade!
No worries. In fairness, it’s a CE22 Standard, so all mahogany.

I think these EMG combo's could work you

85 Bridge with 81 Neck (Paired like this they so much better than the other way around) Think Gibson Dirty Fingers or T-Tops

81 Bridge coupled the 60A Neck. Think McCarty with much more oomph

I use both of these with a 24 volt battery mod (EMG have a tollerance of 31 volts so 9 volts is barely pushing them) Much more clarity in all musical styles.

I had HFS VB in my McCarty for a while for lower timings. I don't like the HFS but tuned down they were good. I switched to M pickups and thought they were a better fit.

It's really hard to get M pickups muddy. I was impressed with them. It will be difficult to play in C tuning with this scale length but not impossible.

I didn't think the M pickups sounded nearly as good in standard or Eb tunings so I sold them.

I actually just had a Schecter with the Fishman Fluence modern pickups and while they sounded great for high gain stuff I don’t think you’d be able to get any Plini type tones out of them. I’m pretty sure that Plini uses a Suhr SSH+ and SSV set in his Strandberg so you may want to look at higher output passive pickups if you want to be able to cop those more crispy drive tones he gets.

Stevie Wonder could have seen this one coming from a mile and a half away...

Just because you can doesn't mean ya should...now, put down the 594 and back away slowly. :D

89 neck and 85 bridge is legit too!
I’ve got an SA/SA/85 set that I could part with. Just sayin’...

For the sake of doing something different in the prog arena, I just put the 59/09 back into my CU24, set it up for 11s in Eb, and some other Tom Foolery. Thought about taking it down to drop C# but that would be it. Next weekend’s practice will tell if I’m on the right track. FYI, the HFS wasn’t floatin’ my boat for our music.

If one of the things your looking to do is to hit the front of the amp harder you might try adding a boost pedal in front of the amp before spending a lot of money on various pickups.

I’m into a lot of the same bands as you including some others like Between the Buried and me, Periphery and Polyphia. I’ve found my custom 24 with a swamp ash back, maple neck and maple top with 85/15s seem to be able to ball park all of their tones pretty well. That being said I am thinking of either putting some /m\s in it or possibly the Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega set.

If you look at the guitars those bands use you’ll see they normally use a swamp ash or mahogany back and a maple neck with 24 frets. I think that wood combo is a big part of the clear and articulate sound they get and I don’t know if you’d be able to replicate it with just pickups alone. If you wanted to try it though you might want to contact Bareknuckle pickups and tell them what you’re trying to do and see what they suggest.
I'm gonna start off trying an 85/15 + \m/ combo. If that doesn't work, I'll see if Wolfetone or Bare Knuckle has some recommendations.

I hear the Dustie Waring model can do this kind of thing pretty well...o_O;)

Back