So how do You do it?

Totally. The only thing it proves for me, is the effect on me. Like I said, a buzz that made me more into everything, would mellow several of my friends out and do the opposite of what it did to me. A couple of my buddies would never smoke before we played ball, because it slowed them down. Me and a couple others were just the opposite.
One wonders if that was merely a matter of allowing you to let go of whatever inhibitions you had before and allowed you to concentrate without baggage. Kind of like something to reduce stage fright. I doubt anyone will ever know!

On the other hand, would you want, say, your doctor to show up stoned, even if he/she claimed they do surgery better that way?

I wouldn't want that. YMMV.

"I diagnose and operate better on coke, man. You don't mind if I snort some before we go into the OR?"

"Um...mind if I get off this gurney right now? See ya later?"

One wonders if that was merely a matter of allowing you to let go of whatever inhibitions you had before and allowed you to concentrate without baggage. Kind of like something to reduce stage fright. I doubt anyone will ever know!
That’s what a lot of people might think. And, that is THE reason some say booze makes them play better. Really, it doesn’t, but it loosens them up some. In my opinion, anything that reduces coordination and the other things alcohol does to you, can never make you play better. But that’s natural explanation to many for why I might say I played better with a buzz. The ole “loosens me up” or “get’s rid of my stage fright.” But trust me, that ain’t it. Weed is different. The group of friends that ran and played ball and all together… we all talked about why some of us liked playing basketball with a buzz, and some didn’t. Some got “mellow” with a buzz, and thus it was not a good way to play basketball. I got super into everything I was doing. If we were playing cards, I was non-stop cracking jokes, laughing, etc. while several friends would get quite and not talk much with a buzz. They’d mellow out and enjoy, but I’d get fired up.

I first noticed the “enhanced” playing, when playing Hendrix and Trower. No doubt, I was “letting go” a little more and was getting deeper into the music. But it’s not just that because I also played more intricate weird timing things, like some Rush songs with no problem. And some more technical things like DiMeola songs better. And Yngwie stuff. And Van Halen stuff. Pretty much everything. Not the “slop” that alcohol would cause.

Again, I only bring the basketball into it, to prove that it wasn’t a “downer” or “sedative” to me. I’d have 4 beers and just getting a buzz, and my basketball would go to crap. I almost never even tried to play after drinking. I played guitar often after drinking and my guitar playing would be affected. I never drank much though, so it never got too bad. But weed, was never anything but an upper for me. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

That’s what a lot of people might think. And, that is THE reason some say booze makes them play better. Really, it doesn’t, but it loosens them up some. In my opinion, anything that reduces coordination and the other things alcohol does to you, can never make you play better. But that’s natural explanation to many for why I might say I played better with a buzz. The ole “loosens me up” or “get’s rid of my stage fright.” But trust me, that ain’t it. Weed is different. The group of friends that ran and played ball and all together… we all talked about why some of us liked playing basketball with a buzz, and some didn’t. Some got “mellow” with a buzz, and thus it was not a good way to play basketball. I got super into everything I was doing. If we were playing cards, I was non-stop cracking jokes, laughing, etc. while several friends would get quite and not talk much with a buzz. They’d mellow out and enjoy, but I’d get fired up.

I first noticed the “enhanced” playing, when playing Hendrix and Trower. No doubt, I was “letting go” a little more and was getting deeper into the music. But it’s not just that because I also played more intricate weird timing things, like some Rush songs with no problem. And some more technical things like DiMeola songs better. And Yngwie stuff. And Van Halen stuff. Pretty much everything. Not the “slop” that alcohol would cause.

Again, I only bring the basketball into it, to prove that it wasn’t a “downer” or “sedative” to me. I’d have 4 beers and just getting a buzz, and my basketball would go to crap. I almost never even tried to play after drinking. I played guitar often after drinking and my guitar playing would be affected. I never drank much though, so it never got too bad. But weed, was never anything but an upper for me. I’m sure I’m not the only one.
The title of the thread is, "So how do you do it?"

Cutting through all the BS of these kinds of discussions, I don't go to work stoned. Nor do I hire musicians for sessions who do. I've been at this a long time, and for what it's worth, this makes the most practical sense to me.

Music is my life and my work, so I work hard and prepare thoroughly. And I show up and do my best. That's all anyone can do. I would like to stress, however, that I will NOT be nominated for sainthood.

I equate it to drinking and driving...eventually there's gonna be a helluva wreck. I gave up the "sweetleaf" ages ago, and I no longer drink either. I was what some would call a "social drinker" but the issue was I was likely the most sociable SOB around. I know where that would lead if I took up with my mates and played gigs so I stay away from it.

I'm primarily a bass player but also play guitar and keys. Several years ago, I was asked to fill in on bass at a private gig with my former band. People at the party were buying us drinks all night. At one point, the band leader called out a song that I had heard but never played. I somehow managed to play it. Then he called out another song that I had never played, and another. By the end of the night, I had managed to get through about 15 songs that I had never played. At one point, the band leader told me that I am the only musician he has ever met who "the more he drinks, the better he plays". He said he heard me doing things on the bass that he never knew I could do. Another time, I was at a friend's house and we started drinking some beers. After a while, I picked up his guitar and just started playing. He said he didn't know that I good play guitar as well as I play bass. I don't drink very often but apparently, I play better when I drink. I have no idea why.

Back