So help me with a pickup replacement

Dizzyg12

I am sure it's all here somewhere, but I'm thinking of swapping tbe pickups in my SE 245 for a tremonti USA set. What pots would be best for them? I'd keep the stock but if I do the swap I'm going to move tbe stock 245s to my Santana and sell the EMGs I put into that.

Just wondering what the best pots would be and what else I might need. I'm probably going to tackle it on my own rather than a tech doing it. Mostly Just so I can learn something new.

I'm guessing I can find the wiring diagrams pretty easy online so I'm not too worried bout that part of it.

The PRS USA pots are decent but have very very little resistance to turning which I am not nuts about. CTS makes some 550k pots that are quite nice. There are some mojotone branded ones that are very nice as well. The mojotone caps are also very good. One thing to keep in mind is that they will require you to ream the mounting holes out in order to fit. You can get a small ream at the big box hardware stores. Put a piece of painters tape over the hole on the top before you start reaming. Use light pressure and ream slowly from both sides, test fit often. You want them JUST big enough that you can get the shaft through to mount them. Oh, and you want short shaft pots. I would swap the switch while I was in there and mine benefited greatly from copper shielding.

I used a G string and ran it from the switch cavity, through the pickup routes, and to the control cavity and used a small piece of the copper tape to hold it down against the rest of the copper. This provided continuity from the pups to the switch jack and from the tuning pegs to the switch jack.

Back