So close to a trade for a McCarty! I backed out! Good call or????

S

slang05

OK, so I'll try to make this brief. I was this close to trading a Jackson PC1 for a McCarty. Beautiful guitar. But I backed out. Here's the story..He said the guitar had fallen off the guitar stand at church and took a small shot to the back of the headstock. Said it was a small chip the size of a fingernail. He took it to a local luthier and had it repaired. Ok, I can live with a little cosmetic damage for a beautiful McCarty. So we agreed to meet and do the trade. We both had to drive about 90 minutes to meet so we arranged a time and a place. Well, I had a few days to think it over and kinda got a bit nervous about the "chip". One thing that keep rattling around in my brain was that he said the guitar is "stronger than before". How can a small repaired chip make anything stronger? I started thinking about the Les Pauls that had broken headstocks and how when they repaired them they are "stronger than before". I certainly didn't want to drive 90 minutes and find out it was something more once I started to inspect it. And I certainly didn't want him to drive that far and tell him no thanks. So I opened up a new line of text questions to him. I asked if it the headstock was broken off. He said "no", and then the answer I got that scared me - "it was just a small hairline crack along the back of the headstock right below the tuning keys". That's what got me. To me the word crack is another word for break. Right?

BTW, here's what it says now on his craigslist ad...." It does have a small headstock repair that was done professionally by one of the best luthiers here in XXXXXX. Its totally unnoticeable from the front and the repair makes it stronger than it ever was"

I do want to say I don't think they guy was misleading me or attempting to deceive me. He seemed like a very cool guy and I had no doubt that he was honest with me. I was just concerned he was downplaying it a bit. Of course that could also mean I was a bit paranoid too!

What do you guys think? Smooth move or did I blow the chance to have a beautiful guitar over something silly?

To me the word crack is another word for break. Right?

Right.

I look for cracked/broken guitars because I have a better chance at being able to afford them and I like to tinker. While I would certainly prefer having any busted ass PRS to the nicest of Jackson's I think you did the best thing for you. A bunch of people like those PC models, sell it and grab a non-broken McCarty.

Right.

I look for cracked/broken guitars because I have a better chance at being able to afford them and I like to tinker. While I would certainly prefer having any busted ass PRS to the nicest of Jackson's I think you did the best thing for you. A bunch of people like those PC models, sell it and grab a non-broken McCarty.

Well, the PC1 isn't like most Jacksons. Quilted maple fingerboard and quilted top. It's certainly not going to be confused with a Jackson Dinky or a McCarty, but they are $3000 new (about $1000 too much!)

9691214866_4d37fd8250.jpg

So while it is a sweet axe, to me, it is no PRS! It's kinda funny (and sad) if I play this guitar and then play one of my PRS guitars, the sound quality drops considerably. And while it plays nice, it does not feel as good as any PRS.

***I just posted a pic of a Jackson on the PRS forum...I feel kinda dirty***

If it had you scared, you made the right decision. Seems like you should be able to find one in decent shape for something close to the used price on the Jackson. Listen to Sergio, and sell that (very pretty) Jackson!

Good move...you never want to have buyers (actually Traders) remorse after a deal, and with your posts here, you likely would have. The PC1 is really nice so I am sure you can use it when a nicer McCarty comes along.

Well, the PC1 isn't like most Jacksons. Quilted maple fingerboard and quilted top. It's certainly not going to be confused with a Jackson Dinky or a McCarty, but they are $3000 new (about $1000 too much!)

9691214866_4d37fd8250.jpg

So while it is a sweet axe, to me, it is no PRS! It's kinda funny (and sad) if I play this guitar and then play one of my PRS guitars, the sound quality drops considerably. And while it plays nice, it does not feel as good as any PRS.

***I just posted a pic of a Jackson on the PRS forum...I feel kinda dirty***

That's a nice PC1. Looks like an early one too. If you check it might even have a KOA back as opposed to Mahogany.

Man I backed out of a McCarty trade recently myself. If it doesn't feel right, it's not right...

I think you were right to back out. It would have been nice for you to see before and after pics of the repair, or even in process pics. I think it would have been easier to get that guitar broken and have it fixed yourself. Then you would have known the full extent of the damage.

And this all makes me want to find a broken one to rescue....

I love always thought those were cool guitars though I've never owned one. Sustainers are fun.

There's a dealer, posted in dealer thread, that just got a serious shipment of Korina McCarty Models and they look BA. Might be worth checking.

I love always thought those were cool guitars though I've never owned one. Sustainers are fun.

There's a dealer, posted in dealer thread, that just got a serious shipment of Korina McCarty Models and they look BA. Might be worth checking.

I saw that! But no cash at the moment with a trip to the Florida Keys in the near future. BUT My wife did say the sexiest thing she's ever said to me yesterday!! You guys ready for this?? It's hot! Ok, here goes..she said "I think it's time to get out of the guitar trading business and just hold on to what you have! It's time to stop trading and just start buying guitars!" I was like what?!?! And she was all like "It's time to stop trading and just start acquiring" And I was all like....

8570310853_1e5576cb60.jpg

Back