Slippery Tremolo Arm (Custom 24)

Gibson67v

So I purchased a Used Custom 24 on tuesday. It has a wicked Quilted 10 Top and a Pattern Regular Neck... I love this thing to death! The only thing that I'm not too pleased with is the tremolo arm keeps slipping. It doesn't come out or anything like that. It just slips.

I keep my Tremolo Arms facing away from the neck, rather than towards the neck. I don't have any issues with my 2 CE 22s. Just this Custom 24.

Any ideas on how this can be remedied? or is it just a live with it kind of situation. If I have to live with it then it's alright as I don't use the Trem Arm too much. It's really hard to fault such a beautiful guitar!

2011-paul-reed-smith-custom-24.html

p.s. I still have no clue how to post pictures here...

This may be obvious, but you know the collar can be tightened with the grub screw at the base of the trem, right?

You should be able to tighten the small bolt with an allen wrench that is on the tremolo.

PS - have a shot of that green CU22 in your signature/avatar? Looks amazing!

EDIT: sorry for the double post, didn't hit refresh on the thread before posting.

This may be obvious, but you know the collar can be tightened with the grub screw at the base of the trem, right?

I've never had to adjust ANYTHING on my Paul Reed Smiths... thanks for stating the obvious because clearly I skipped the step where I actually look at the bridge lol.
It worked perfectly!!

P.S. please forgive my Ignorance! I've been using Paul Reed Smiths since 1997 and EVERYTHING has been perfect! I am not a noob lol... I just thought like one

You should be able to tighten the small bolt with an allen wrench that is on the tremolo.

PS - have a shot of that green CU22 in your signature/avatar? Looks amazing!

EDIT: sorry for the double post, didn't hit refresh on the thread before posting.

Worked perfectly! I have TONS of shots of my Custom 22... just can't upload pictures for some reason

Feel free to PM me or post on the forum when you do. I like to use imgur.com to upload pictures. It gives you the board code you need to paste into your post.

My tremelo was slipping when i first bought it. After a few months i decided to tighten the grub screw but couldnt do it. The shop from where i buyed said that i may have lost the thread as it is not present inside it.
I really need to tighten it.
What else can i do? can i buy it from somewhere or anything else can be done?
Or should i ask the shopkeeper to replace it , as i have 5 years warranty?

i have lost that thread according to the luthier , and im really pissed becasue it is slippery ?
What can i do ?

i have lost that thread according to the luthier , and im really pissed becasue it is slippery ?
What can i do ?

Do you mean you lost the set screw? You should be able to get a replacement from PRS, or at least the specs you need to get a replacement.

Yes , there is a grub screw at the bridge to tighten the tremelo . The luthier says that i have lost it and it is not present.
How can i order more of them?
Can PRS send it to me? iF yes then who should i contact? I have already written to them about it.

The set screw (or grub screw [ref. 1]) should be fairly easily obtained once you know the size. Send another email to PRS asking them for the specification for the set screw. They might offer to send one to you for free. Use their Customer Service email:

[email protected]

I have no idea whether you can ask your local shop keeper to provide a replacement, in terms of legal obligation, but it doesn't hurt to ask - they aren't expensive parts, just not common, and I would think they would have access to a supply.

ref 1: "Grub Screw" - never heard that term before, apparently from the UK. From wikipedia:

...blind set screw (known in the UK as a grub screw, quite possibly from its figurative resemblance to a soil-dwelling grub)...

Back