Slatwall Guitar Hangers

deathworlder

Nut-life
So...who makes the best?
String Swing, Hercules, Levys, Diamondhead?
Are the adjustable long arms stable? The length as a lever has me concerned...stick to the short non-adjustable hangers?

I don't use wall hangers but I read that Hercules are really good and won't damage the finish on the guitar. I use a rack.
C1-B2-DBB2-5-F7-A-47-AE-8344-1-C2565599-C62.avif

Last edited:
I would go with String Swing. I used to have Hercules hangers on my wall but the thread on TGP about them failing really got me concerned to keep using them. They have had failures over a number of years. I am not willing to chance it. I bought String Swing hangers and replaced them all. I sleep a little better at night now. I have also had 3 Hercules stands die on me due to their crappy plastic disintegrating. Thankfully I didn't have any of them drop a guitar on me. They literally blew apart while waiting for the next gig. I still have one double stand that the plastic is a little different on but the locking knob on the bottom is still the same crappy plastic of the old stands. I am not going to spend anymore money on Hercules stuff.

Hercules replaced my faulty stand with TWO new stands, that was great. But, lucky for me - no guitars were on that stand when the foam turned to goo (toxic & sticky). All my Herucles stands are now made from different materials, and so far-so good.

That being said - I have several PRS' hanging on my walls using String Swing.

CSk5H3b.jpeg

I read enough about Hercules failures to make me reconsider things. The gadget-guy part of me was attracted to moving parts and the beefy look. The risk-management part of me decided that the failures I read about weren't user error.

String Swing is doing a promo that they've been running for a while. https://www.stringswing.com/free-guitar-rack Buy a 5-guitar wall slat system and get a 3-guitar system free. I've been happy with mine. I replaced five Hercules wall hangers with it. Super simple to install, looks nice, and well-built. Don't tell my wife, but I'll buy another one of these days.

For individual hangers, I've got one of these in my office: https://www.k-m.de/en/products/stan...ted-instruments/16280-guitar-wall-mount-black The K&M is simple, well-built, and not overly bulky.

Hercules replaced my faulty stand with TWO new stands, that was great. But, lucky for me - no guitars were on that stand when the foam turned to goo (toxic & sticky). All my Herucles stands are now made from different materials, and so far-so good.

That being said - I have several PRS' hanging on my walls using String Swing.

CSk5H3b.jpeg

You have to have a great time in that room, it even looks like a great time is in store for you!

I'm so fortunate.... and I've been lucky to keep most of the gear I wanted over the years. I'm very thankful. That being said, I really do enjoy getting to wind down & forget the stressful parts of the day in my room. I also loan stuff out to my friends (obviously, the really appreciative & respectful ones) because why not share this stuff!!?!?!?!

I use both Hercules and String Swing. Never had a problem with either.
That is the thing with Hercules. You never have a problem, until you do. I was pretty ticked when I had $150 worth of guitar stands just disintegrate on me and couldn't get a response from the company about it. Like I said, thankfully there wasn't a guitar in any of them when the handles literally blew apart from the spring pressure. I keep a close eye on the one I have left. They changed the plastic on it but I am still leery. I have a mic stand from them too.

I've been using Hercules for about 20 years, multiple stands in different configurations and dozens of hangers. I've never once had an issue. There have been a few revisions of the stands over the years, subtle differences. I only noticed because I've been using them so long.

The issues from what I can tell, like mentioned above, was the handle of some stands. The hangers I'd never go without after a few experiences with kids and a couple drunks. Same difference, kids are like drunk midgets :)

The hangers are great because they lock into place and swivel/rotate side to side. You have to lift up on and raise the guitar to get it out. Strong as hell. I've unfortunately caught someone hanging on it. And kids can't get it out because of the hanger mechanism. They also sell locks that use a key across the front latches hanger.

The string swing does have a cool wall system for the space challenged but the hangers themselves are apples to oranges.

The string swing does have a cool wall system for the space challenged but the hangers themselves are apples to oranges.
I might disagree with that a bit. The String Swing hangers I replaced my Hercules hangers with are as strong or stronger than the Hercules hangers. There is no plastic with the String Swing hangers. The String Swing hangers have a pretty deeply bent hook on them. You have to lift the guitar up pretty much like you do with the Hercules hooks to get the guitar out of it. The String Swing hangers also swivel to hold guitars that have uneven shoulders at the bottom of the headstock just like the Hercules hangers do. Both are nitro safe and I have hung nitro guitars on both with no issues. They really are kind of apples to apples in comparison.

I never had any of my Hercules wall hangers fail. However, I have read enough accounts and seen enough pictures that I deiced the risk wasn't worth it. I would be super ticked at myself if I had one fail knowing I could have replaced it with a $20 String Swing and avoided damaging a 3k to 5k guitar. I was leery about switching over to the String Swing hangers at first but they have been great. In the end, I like them better than the Hercules hangers. They seem to hold the guitar a little more securely. The hooks are a little narrower so they have less play in them.

I used to be a hard core Hercules fan but I have personally experienced enough issues with their product to change that. Their stands are expensive. I thought they were worth it and that they would have lasted a lifetime. Boy was I wrong about that. I have had nearly all of them fail and had to throw them in the recycling.

For me, it was the infrequent reports about the Hercules failures. When it was time to switch from individual hangers to a slat system, I rethought things a bit. I just haven’t seen failure reports with String Swings. I didn’t (and don’t) think my Hercules hangers would fail, but as long as I was making a new investment… I no longer think about how chunky my 9+ lbs CE22 is when I hang it up. Only when I pick it up! :)

Back