Singlecuts: Which are weight relieved and which aren't?

mookyshoots

Mom always told me I was special
I'm in the market for a core model singlecut, new or old, but I absolutely do not want a weight relieved body. Which singlecuts should I be looking at?

The OG singlecuts with kluson style tuners, wrap around bridges, #7 pickups and a 25" scale were not weight relieved. None of the Tremonti models, new or old are weight relieved.

The SC 250 and SC 245 (original style with wrap around tail piece) were weight relieved.

Not sure about later model SC 245's with 2-piece bridges and the newer SC 594's.

This reminds me of something I wonder quite often... How are PRS generally so light??? If its not weight relieved is it the wood selection and drying process?

The reason I asked is that weight relief has always come off to me as a somewhat deceptive practice. Yes, Gibson has been doing it for years, but I just hate the idea of selling someone a guitar while telling them it's a lightweight solidbody, but it's really chambered/semi hollow by definition. Personally, chambered guitars have a different attack, so if I want that, I'll seek out a semi or full hollowbody (which I already have).

EDIT: Sorry for the typos. I think I've fixed them all now. My fat sausage fingers weren't made for this typing stuff.

Last edited:
Can anyone here claim to actually hear the effect of the weight relief scheme on the older SC245s?

Does even a semi hollow sound much different through an amp than a solid body of the same model?

I used to feel a bit of a stigma related to my old relieved SC245 but then again it hangs admirably with my 2 Custom Shop Les Pauls and I’m not feeling it’s less than it would be if solid.

Last edited:
Dislike to weight relief was always very weird to me. Statistic "connoisseur" will say hell no to weight relief while getting bonner for playwood made ES335. Also - call it "chambered body" and instantly add +10 to the charm

Crazy world

Dislike to weight relief was always very weird to me. Statistic "connoisseur" will say hell no to weight relief while getting bonner for playwood made ES335. Also - call it "chambered body" and instantly add +10 to the charm

You're a bit off base, but I'll play. If you're buying a semi-hollow, you know what you're getting. If you're buying a solid body and someone is removing wood simply to claim it's lightweight, that's like selling someone a car, but removing the seats and calling the interior roomier. This statisic "connoisseur" (whatever the hell that means) stands by the fact that as soon as you start weight relieving/chambering/whatever you care to call it, the attack softens. Take that 335 and play it next to a tele and tell me they have the same attack (they don't). You're basically trading attack for resonance. Not saying this is a bad thing, only that I personally dislike it and won't pay it.

That's the great thing about this crazy hobby of ours. So many choices (and opinions) for everyone.

Can anyone here claim to actually hear the effect of the weight relief scheme on the older SC245s?
I'll tell you what I know from the two I have. I have a 1st year SC (2000) and a 2006 20th Anni SC. The Gen 1 is not weight relieved, the Gen 2 is.
X9FTJsf.jpg

The Gen 1 weighs 8.8Lbs the 20th Anni weighs 7.8Lbs. Now there may be slight differences in pickup height and all that, but the Gen 1 is just a better sounding guitar. Sustains longer, tone is richer, everything about it is just magic. Is it the weight? I don't know. Some guitars are just magic. This is one of them.

I'll tell you what I know from the two I have. I have a 1st year SC (2000) and a 2006 20th Anni SC. The Gen 1 is not weight relieved, the Gen 2 is.
X9FTJsf.jpg

The Gen 1 weighs 8.8Lbs the 20th Anni weighs 7.8Lbs. Now there may be slight differences in pickup height and all that, but the Gen 1 is just a better sounding guitar. Sustains longer, tone is richer, everything about it is just magic. Is it the weight? I don't know. Some guitars are just magic. This is one of them.

The Gen 1 just looks like magic! Just Beautiful!

Didn't know any PRS were weight-relieved...
... 30 minutes ago UPS delivered an '08 GoldTop LP Standard which is chambered. I wanted a GoldTop, but I got used to the 8lbs or less range of PRS, Fender, or my R9, so the chambered generation (particularly '08 due to daughter's birth year) is what I was looking for and had to actually hunt for. You'd think with all the distaste for chambering they'd be all over the place.

Back