Singlecuts: Which are weight relieved and which aren't?

I'm in the market for a core model singlecut, new or old, but I absolutely do not want a weight relieved body. Which singlecuts should I be looking at?
I’m wasn’t aware of PRS performing weight-relieving surgery on any of their guitars. That seems counter to Paul’s philosophy.

I’m wasn’t aware of PRS performing weight-relieving surgery on any of their guitars. That seems counter to Paul’s philosophy.
As I understand it, Paul resisted doing it for some time. He originally made his guitars thinner but not weight relieved. When customers wanted the 1/8th inch thicker slab of mahogany, the push to weight relieve began. I don't know what they do with the 594 generations. Somebody give me one and I'll X-ray it...

All,

I wasn't looking to stir up a bees nest over this. I just wanted to clarify my understanding of the various singlecut models. I don't think PRS was doing anything shady at all. Forgive me if any of my posts came off that way as that's not my intention.

All,

I wasn't looking to stir up a bees nest over this. I just wanted to clarify my understanding of the various singlecut models. I don't think PRS was doing anything shady at all. Forgive me if any of my posts came off that way as that's not my intention.

I was not feeling any form of negativity TBH. I do believe it affects the tonality, literally everything does after all wood density and body construction also.

My only observation was that people in Gibson world hate weight relief when they love 335, a plywood made guitar same time. I literally find it hard to understand :)

Relating to what you saying - other than loving my Custom 24 to bits I'm also a strat guy. My main fender was choosed from other 12 or so other within same model - it punches like a motherfucker, snappy yet full sounding single coil goodness... was heavier of them all

All,

Nah. No problem here.:cool:

Some SC models made during 2007-2009 were, e.g. 245, 250, SC Satin. SC Trem (whose body is McCarty-thickness) and Tremonti were not weight-relieved. The 2009 SC 245 I played in this photo weighted only about 3.5 kg, similar to a core CU24.
w05OfyK.jpeg

Currently all SC models are fully solidbody. Interestingly, almost all SC 594 I see weighted under 4 kg.

Last edited:
To me, if the guitar plays, sounds, feels right, resonates to my liking and has a neck I like I am happy. I always select my guitars by playing them acoustically and feeling how and where they resonate, etc. If all that checks out I know it will always sound good plugged in and so far that has never failed me after all these years. If it sounds different then hoped for plugged in then a pickup swap handles that for me.

I wasn't either. Other than thinner body profiles, I have never heard of chambered PRS bodies. I mean generally they fall around the 7-8lb weight, I've never thought they were very heavy.

Back