Votes: 9 12.2%
  • I like both but prefer Double Cut

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • Makes no difference to me....I am only chasing tone

Votes: 11 14.9%

• Total voters

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I know it is mainly a visual style thing for me, but one of the first things that attracted me to PRS as a brand was the LOOK of that double cutaway body style that was almost a start but not quite. But definitely NOT the standard 1980's "super strat" look.

What do you guys prefer....and why?

(Bear in mind that this is for PRS guitars. You can only like PRS double cuts and still want a Les Paul to be single cut. Or Love your single cut McCarty but still like the classic stratocaster)

That's a tough one for me. I grew up lusting after the classic PRS DC - the Custom 24. Single cuts have never really done much for me - I have always equated them as "old man guitars". However, that changed when I got my SC245. That is a monster. I am still thinking that if I could have ONLY one, it would be that 245.

PRS is the Double Cut guitar. Its an iconic shape and in truth, probably the only Double Cut shape I like.

I was a Gibson LP fan - before PRS were really known over here in the UK and ONLY a Single-Cut would do and ONLY the Les Paul shape - a shape that's traditional before Gibson - its got the same proportions as a traditional guitar - albeit a smaller body. It didn't have a trem to worry about, sustained for days and of course, no 60 cycle hum either. I was very picky even back then, and there was 'no way' I would buy a Double Cut.

However when I saw my first PRS, saw the Birds on the neck, the quality of the maple top and it came in 'Red'. The look of it replaced a Les Paul Custom in Wine Red burst (with Gold Hardware... ) as the guitar I wanted, the guitar I aspired to be in a position to own. Of course I still wanted the Wine Red Les Paul just because its the guitar that made me want to play, the sound of it from the artists I looked up to and, at the time, PRS seemed to be a cross between the Ibanez guitars that were popular, more so than Fender with a 24 fret, trem bridge guitar with great tops and Humbuckers - which was a good thing as I was not a Fender fan (still not). This was before the Custom 22 so I saw it more as an alternative to a Jem with the Ornate Tree of Life to show the craftsmanship - if they go to all that trouble to inlay more complex shapes than just drilled dots or chiselled blocks, then surely they must put that craftsmanship into their guitars.

Anyway, that's getting a bit off topic so I will jump ahead. When I found myself in a position to not only start playing Electric again after many years raising a family, I had the choice of buying something I was 'familiar' with and, as I had an Epiphone Les Paul for many years, it made sense to look at a Gibson Les Paul so I started to look around. Every one I looked at seemed to have something that I wasn't happy with - even the more expensive Custom Shop Reissues - the worst being a gap in the neck pocket that you could use a pick holder. At this time, PRS had released the 594 and I fell in love with the Fire Red Burst. Every one I looked at though was like the last - minor variation in tone as expected from a natural material. Whether it was a Single or Double, the differences were minimal to me, so I had a choice - not feel like I'm sacrificing 'something' by picking one shape over another - it was a choice based purely on Aesthetics.

That may sound petty or shallow - picking a guitar based on Aesthetics. However, when things like Tone, build quality, feel etc are all close enough that it didn't matter whether I picked the Single cut or double cut, didn't matter if I picked the Red over a McCarty Burst - the differences were small enough that I didn't feel forced to pick the single cut because it was much better, or pick the Double Cut because it was lighter and had better high fret access. The reality was that they were all in and around the same ball-park regardless. Because of this, I picked the Double Cut purely because it was an iconic PRS shape and I was buying a PRS.

I wouldn't be against picking a Single Cut PRS in the future but I do think that if there is a choice - like there was with my 594, unless there is a big enough difference to force me to buy, then I think I would pick the Double Cut because its PRS and its iconic for the brand. PRS is one of those brands where you can pick your favourite aesthetic without disappointment. I voted that I like Both but prefer Double Cut as that is the closest...

So far, double cut all the way. I had a single-cut trem for quite a few years but have just preferred the weight of a double-cut.

I wouldn't mind having a single-cut 594, though. I played one in a local shop and it was one of those moments similar to when I first played a PRS. The kind when you think to yourself "Wow, I didn't realize a guitar could play this incredibly well." Which is really cool considering that, even though I've been playing PRS for so many years now, I can still pick up another model and be blown away by it's play-ability.

So yeah, I want a single-cut 594. In Goldtop.

My McCarty sits out on stands with my Strats and my Tele. The similarity to strats is unavoidable, and the strat is my favorite ergonomic. I love the use of the strat shape with hummers and a nice top. Both my strats are opaque, Black and Arctic white, and compared to the PRS are boring to look at if you are being honest.

Have one of each (DGT & older Singlecut). Dig ‘em both, but I guess the doublecut for weight and tones. Either one still puts a smile on my mug, as I’m just a strictly a pick it up and play it no matter what, kind of person. All good. :cool:

With PRS I started with the DCs, but I’m definitely in the prefer SC(T) camp now.

I still like the DCs, but SCTs get more playing time, especially with the bigger necks and shorter scale lengths.

In other words, what Sergio said!

I used to be a Les Paul only guy. Then I bought my first CU24 and I haven't looked back since. I wanted single cut, so I finally got one. Turns out I prefer the double cut models exclusively. Tis a crying shame, because I've got a REALLY nice SC245!

Over the years I really never had a preference, I’ve had a lot of both. If you’re going to spend some time up there, the access to the upper frets has always been easier on a double cut for me.

Doublecuts actually outnumber singlecuts in my herd, probably just because there have been more doublecut PRS models over the years.

But I personally prefer the heft and extra vibe I feel from a PRS singlecut (quilted, please!). I don't play high up on the neck often enough that the extra wood gets in my way.

I started on DC and really wanted the SC. Finally got the SC and loved it. Now having both I find that I've reached equilibrium. I like them both about the same. If I were to lose the SC's I'd need one again, but I play the DC's more. Go figure...

The difference is slight, but I’ve always felt more natural with a single cut. I’m still haunted by a SC594 Sopie in matte black that I saw a couple of years ago. Not sure I could resist if one became available.

I've had a couple of LPs and a SC 594. I just don't feel at home on that style plus I have larger hands and enjoy more room on a fret board.

DC for me please.

My guitars each have a particular sonic signature. Just as important, each one pushes an amp differently, in part, by emphasizing different frequencies, so I get more variety with the various amp/guitar combinations.

It’s true that the difference between an SC and a DC are subtle, but certain amps magnify those differences and do magic things with them. The McCarty SC and the HXDA are fantastic together, for example. That little bit of lower midrange oomph from the SC pushes the front end of that amp in certain ways my other guitars don’t.

At the same time, there are things I want from my amps that my DC guitars make them do.

I’d say I like both SC and DC models equally for their abilities to do different things.

As a kid I would doodle DC guitars at school, maybe it was the shape that I recognised.

Cosmetically, I prefer a DC.

Currently I have four DC guitars and one SC!

But hey you all know I have a SC, right?!:):rolleyes:

Back