• I like both but prefer Single Cut

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • I like both but prefer Double Cut

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • Makes no difference to me....I am only chasing tone

Votes: 11 14.9%

• Total voters
It’s true that the difference between an SC and a DC are subtle

I certainly agree where we are actually given a choice - such as the McCarty 594 which is available in both a Single Cut and Double Cut format. Generally though, you only get the choice of one or the other.

I can't say whether the Single Cuts suit one amp better than another whilst double cuts may be better with others. I can't say if the nuances of each body shape is important enough to base a purchasing decision on or whether other factors like weight or the fret access are more important. I think those decisions need to be made by the buyer.

I am not saying the subtle tonal difference isn't a factor, but if you can only have one 594 for example, those differences may not be the 'most' important - that you could buy a guitar based on weight, fret access or even aesthetics and still have a fantastic guitar that sounds amazing and in a mix couldn't tell what body shape it has. I totally get that in a Studio, those nuances when amplified may be more obvious - especially to someone who is able to hear the subtle differences much more clearly.

The right answer is to have both if you can but if you can only have 1, the subtle differences may not be as important as other factors - even if those other factors come down to which one you prefer the 'look' of. Those nuanced differences may not necessarily be noticed in a shop with an amp you are not so familiar with at 'shop' volumes either...

I know it is mainly a visual style thing for me, but one of the first things that attracted me to PRS as a brand was the LOOK of that double cutaway body style that was almost a start but not quite. But definitely NOT the standard 1980's "super strat" look.

What do you guys prefer....and why?

(Bear in mind that this is for PRS guitars. You can only like PRS double cuts and still want a Les Paul to be single cut. Or Love your single cut McCarty but still like the classic stratocaster)

Maybe you will find this thread relevant/interesting?

Double cut for me. Although, I have single cuts, too. Guess that makes me a slut! :p

Tell us something we don't already know!:D

I love both equally.
HOWEVER, I prefer Singlecut electronics and hardware in/on a Singlecut body.
The McCarty 594 isn't for me.

Why not? The McCarty 594 has a traditional Single Cut layout and comes in a single cut body too. It couldn't be more like a Les Paul without the obvious PRS design (the birds, headstock, locking tuners etc) but as far as the layout goes, its typical for a Single cut of this shape (as opposed to a Single Cut Tele type).

Based on your preference to have Single Cut electronics and Hardware in/on a Single Cut Body, the SC594 is the most obvious PRS guitar to fulfil that criteria...

The right answer is to have both if you can but if you can only have 1, the subtle differences may not be as important as other factors - even if those other factors come down to which one you prefer the 'look' of. Those nuanced differences may not necessarily be noticed in a shop with an amp you are not so familiar with at 'shop' volumes either...

Yeah, I’m not disagreeing at all. In fact, the discovery re: the McSC doing something juicy with the HXDA was one of those “Well, how about that,” discoveries.

I bought DC 594 models because I had the McSC already, but I’m sure glad they’re lighter! I mostly play them through the DG30, for which they’re a terrific match.

I bought DC 594 models because I had the McSC already, but I’m sure glad they’re lighter! I mostly play them through the DG30, for which they’re a terrific match.

Just one of the factors to consider when you have the choice of either the Double or Single cut versions. The weight difference could be a bigger reason to buy the Double Cut and be much more important than the subtle nuances of the different tonal characteristics between the two body types. We have had this discussion before and came to the same conclusion I believe, that whilst there is a difference, its not necessarily a big enough difference for some people (others maybe). Its certainly not a difference that you can categorically say one is significantly better. Its not a difference that you are compromising on tone if you don't buy a specific shape - and by that (to explain to anyone who may not quite understand what I mean), its not like you have to decide between Tone and 'Weight' or Tone and Fret access.

Tone isn't significantly different that you are sacrificing Tone to get a lighter guitar for example. You can buy either on the obvious difference without fear of picking the weaker or worse tone version. If you prefer a Double Cut, you are not sacrificing tone - its still a fantastic guitar with great tone that easily matches up to the Single Cut version and only separated by subtle nuances - not that different from the subtle nuances between guitars of the same model thanks to the natural materials used. I am sure we both agree that there is a difference BUT its not necessarily big enough that people can categorically say one body shape is better tonally. As someone with both, you can't say that one is categorically better and people should buy a specific shape for the best tone.

That's primarily my point about other factors being more important - even if its as superficial as preferring a SC because the switch on the horn of the Double Cut looks wrong. Its not a decision based purely on the subtle Tonal difference but an aesthetic choice - which is the topic of this thread. If you prefer the look of the Double Cut, then you are not compromising on Tone if you buy the DC. I can honestly say my decision to buy the DC 594 was predominantly based on the aesthetic because factors like tone, feel, weight and playability were pretty much the same with small to subtle differences that to me were not big enough differences that pushed me to buy the SC instead

Why not? The McCarty 594 has a traditional Single Cut layout and comes in a single cut body too. It couldn't be more like a Les Paul without the obvious PRS design (the birds, headstock, locking tuners etc) but as far as the layout goes, its typical for a Single cut of this shape (as opposed to a Single Cut Tele type).

Based on your preference to have Single Cut electronics and Hardware in/on a Single Cut Body, the SC594 is the most obvious PRS guitar to fulfil that criteria...

The McCarty SC 594 is fine by me. I don’t care for the double cut McCarty 594. Just my opinion based on the aesthetics. Just looks wonky to me.

Its certainly not a difference that you can categorically say one is significantly better.

When it comes to instrument tone, there’s no such thing as ‘better’. There’s only ‘different’ and ‘what’s better for you’.

“But Les, you’re always ripping on modelers.”

“You were expecting what, consistency?” :)

When it comes to instrument tone, there’s no such thing as ‘better’. There’s only ‘different’ and ‘what’s better for you’.

“But Les, you’re always ripping on modelers.”

“You were expecting what, consistency?” :)

Giggle!

I didn't vote (conflicted melon) but when it came time to get my 594 I went double cut. I came into it right after the 594 SC was introduced and already had an LP Standard (my first electric) that I really liked. I thought I was looking for the single cut when I went a shoppin, but the one that found me was a DC :)

Last edited:
Back