Silver Sky tuner buttons

TRaw

Hey all,

I just impulse bought a Silver Sky, and I am excited!

Has anyone replaced the tuning buttons on theirs? (Not the tuners, just the silver plastic buttons.) It's the only detail that I'm not a fan of (indeed, I have always replaced the standard metal buttons on my Core PRSs with ivoroid ones). If so, does anyone know what kind of replacements will fit?

Thanks!

I haven't had my Silver Sky for a long time. Aren't they press fit to the shafts? I seem to remember looking at them and being bummed that I couldn't change them?

They're not meant to be easily replaced, much like the plastic buttons on a lot of old Kluson keys, which is essentially what these are. It can be done, though. Do a Google search for "how to replace kluson tuner buttons" to get an idea of what's involved.

Some "vintage style" or "Kluson style" buttons may fit the shafts, but you'll want to measure first if you decide to take it on.

Hmm. Thanks folks. Maybe I’ll replace the tuners themselves, if they’re a standard part.

Hey, I just wanted to resurrect this to ask the question, can the Phase III buttons you can buy on the PRS website replace the plastic buttons on the SS?
What about the S2 buttons?
If not, does anybody know what WILL work? Great guitar but there are a couple of cosmetic things I would like to do to it and, after getting a crushed pearl pick guard, replacing those buttons would be the thing.

Hey, I just wanted to resurrect this to ask the question, can the Phase III buttons you can buy on the PRS website replace the plastic buttons on the SS?
What about the S2 buttons?
If not, does anybody know what WILL work? Great guitar but there are a couple of cosmetic things I would like to do to it and, after getting a crushed pearl pick guard, replacing those buttons would be the thing.
I don't think so. The SS tuners buttons don't just screw on like the PIII or S2 buttons. This video may show you what's involved.

If the guitar is a keeper I suggest just install the tuners you like and enjoy it for your natural life.
100 years in the future some punk will say tuners are not original so I'll give you $20 bucks for it.
He won't care that it survived and it's an incredibly player with tones from the last century.
But he'll care that the tuners buttons are not original.
IDK...maybe.

Back