Silver Sky string pitch going sharp

Jguerrero225

Hi all,
I recently bought a Silver Sky and decided to change the strings. I like to play 9s. The issue is that now when I push down on the whammy bar and let it return to its resting position the strings end up sharp in pitch.
I did nothing to the guitar other than change the strings, so the vibrato is still on the body and not floating.
Also, the guitar doesn't stay in tune very well. I've streched the strings, but no matter what they seem to fall out of tune quickly.

What can be causing this issue? Thanks.

The nut, even though you went down a gauge, may need some lubrication (graphite or big bends nut sauce, etc.). Are the strings fully wrapped around the tuner posts? My Silver Sky hates that, I usually pull them pretty tight and then lock them and tune to pitch, none of them have a full wrap.

Since you changed gauges, you should also loosen the trem springs a tad, and check the truss rod and intonation. Wouldn’t hurt to lube the saddles, either.

Hi all,
I recently bought a Silver Sky and decided to change the strings. I like to play 9s. The issue is that now when I push down on the whammy bar and let it return to its resting position the strings end up sharp in pitch.
I did nothing to the guitar other than change the strings, so the vibrato is still on the body and not floating.
Also, the guitar doesn't stay in tune very well. I've streched the strings, but no matter what they seem to fall out of tune quickly.

What can be causing this issue? Thanks.
You didn’t warp the strings, did you? They should go through the hole, pull tight, lock, cut, tune.

I have the same issue with my 2 month old Silver Sky as the OP. And I'm using 9 gauge strings too.

Any very light use of the whammy bar (just a shimmer) will result in the D string going anything up to 18 cents sharp - usually around 6-10 cents. A quick bend of the D string will bring it back in to tune. The A string will also go about 4 cents sharp. The other strings seem fine.

I've had the tremolo decked and floating parallel to the body (without adjusting the height of the front of the tremolo system - simply by adjusting the claw/spring tension) - same tuning problems. I've tried nut sauce on the nut and saddles without success. I've also used a heavier gauge string (.26" D string rather than the .24" of my 9 gauge set) and passed it thro' the slot a few times to try and remove any possible burrs or points that could bind. No success. Today I tried some auto grit wet/dry paper 2000 grade on the nut slot, also to no avail.

As an experiment I placed a small piece of plastic card under the D string and on top of the nut thus preventing the string from sitting in the nut slot. Result. It stays in tune when using the bar. So it appears that the nut is binding and causing the problem. I can't play the guitar with the piece of plastic card in place though.

I don't see a replacement nut for the Silver Sky on the PRS accessories page. I'm thinking of contacting them to buy one and give that a try.

If anyone gets a solution please post here as it is driving me nuts (oops, pun). I also find the guitar to be very temperamental with its tuning in general - unlike my PRS 513 or McCarty Gold top.

However .... I just love the sounds it makes. Fab.

Regards,
Stefan (from the UK)

Update 22//7/2020: I bought a pair (only sold in pairs) of new nuts from a guitar shop in Germany (the only place I could find PRS SS nuts). Received them yesterday. Identical. Put a new nut in. Fitted perfectly. I still have the same tuning issue with the D string going sharp after a very light wiggle of the whammy bar. A quick bend of the string puts everything back in tune. I'm wondering if 2 nuts can both have the same issue on the same string or if the problem lies elsewhere?

Last edited:
Back