Should They Stay Or Should They Go...

László

Too Many Notes
I have been relatively fanatical about guitar tone for many years, and as a result, I've got a handful of guitars and amps. I have them because I've needed them in the past, and they've all paid for themselves several times over. But that doesn't mean it makes sense to keep them simply as expensive mementos of days gone by! On the contrary, it makes no sense at all, my emotional attachment to them notwithstanding.

Currently I'm spending almost all of my joy-time writing orchestral music. Since COVID, when I got into the orchestral stuff in a big way, guitars have played a much smaller role in my life. At this point, I play mine more out of guilt than out of need, or even desire.

Hey, change is a constant. It happens!

I'm beginning to think it's counterproductive to so much as change strings on a guitar I'm not using. And if that concept changes, fine, but all I really need to do at this moment is pick one electric, keep one acoustic, keep one or two amps, and let everything else go.

I figure I should hang onto my PS acoustic, because it's my only one. But I might keep only one or two electrics and one or two amps. I'm honestly not sure.

Then again, I could keep everything because WTF. I already own it.

I'm standing at the crossroads; Believe I'm sinking down.

"What would you do with the money if you sold your gear, Les?"

"You mean besides hookers and booze?"

"You never do hookers and booze."

"I know, but it sounds pretty badass, right?"

Interesting thoughts, I have to many guitars but occasionally like others here I take one out after a year or so and it’s like new guitar day. Other times I do try to think practically and go to open the case of the one I think I’m going to move and……….. close the case so I don’t have regrets later. Music for me is a living hobby, sometimes I’m all in with a vengeance other times I’m off on another adventure. I do think guitars and to some extent amplifiers at the very least can hold there value so should just hold onto them it can be a investment vehicle. I know that sounds like I’m trying to justify keeping everything but I hope in the future when it really is time to downsize that I have the b*lls to not sell but give them to people whom really need want and deserve them. No I’m NOT starting a list lol.

I would decide based on what I would probably need/want to buy back when Detroit car makers start marketing the crap out of their e trucks.
I have it on good authority that Detroit will be looking for orchestral music to support their e truck advertising.
My opinion may differ tomorrow. But today I say downsize if you don’t need the guitars/amps for your work. If things change, you will enjoy the hunt for the next great guitar/amp. Plus your hunting quiver will be replete with cash. This advice falls into the category of “do as I say, not as I do.”

Les,

You've reached an age where what you care about is making music with what gear is required to achieve certain tones and sounds.

For many years my mindset had been to find the most cost-effective and efficient means of creating certain tones and sounds, and I currently own one PRS Silver Sky, one PRS McCarty, ands one PRS SE A60E acoustic.

My wall hangers accommodate these 3 guitars, and I've really no additional storage space for any others.

Regards amps, my tastes vary, but I've still not cracked open the entire library of amps, effects and cabs of my Fractal FM9. There's just so much there to discover, I can safely say the FM9 or Axe III adequately covers a full range of desirable amps, effects and cabs, all tweak-able with the free computer editing software.

My personal feeling is that you are free to do what you wish with your instruments, but you may feel remorse if perhaps you sell most of them and keep only the necessary ones for obtaining your desired tones and sounds. The upside is that if you feel some of your gear is redundant and is only being kept for sentimentality or collectibility, there is a catharsis you will discover when you realize that the instruments no longer own you, but you can sell them according to their respective values. The remorse might occur after you rationalize your decision to sell.

If these pieces are truly collectible, I'd be sure that the sales went to people who would likewise care for the instruments, just as you have. Realize that you are not married to these pieces which might be otherwise binding. Whatever you feel is good in your view to do with them, I'll support your decision.

You know what I’m going to say…

I‘ve often regretted selling, and never regretted keeping, so I just keep them now. I might sell one to buy another but selling outright isn’t of interest to me because it’s not costing a dime to keep them. Now that I finally replaced the NF3 I regretted selling years ago, I feel really set. I mean, I’ll take one if Paul calls, but I feel like all my guitars and most amps have a reason to be there. And, truth to be told, I just like them.

If you ever get to a place you simply don’t want them there, or you need cash, sure… do what you have to do. Otherwise, they are there for whenever you (or your son) need them. One day, I’m sure he’ll remember some good times through them. I hope my kids do, too.

I have been relatively fanatical about guitar tone for many years, and as a result, I've got a handful of guitars and amps. I have them because I've needed them in the past, and they've all paid for themselves several times over. But that doesn't mean it makes sense to keep them simply as expensive mementos of days gone by! On the contrary, it makes no sense at all, my emotional attachment to them notwithstanding.

Currently I'm spending almost all of my joy-time writing orchestral music. Since COVID, when I got into the orchestral stuff in a big way, guitars have played a much smaller role in my life. At this point, I play mine more out of guilt than out of need, or even desire.

Hey, change is a constant. It happens!

I'm beginning to think it's counterproductive to so much as change strings on a guitar I'm not using. And if that concept changes, fine, but all I really need to do at this moment is pick one electric, keep one acoustic, keep one or two amps, and let everything else go.

I figure I should hang onto my PS acoustic, because it's my only one. But I might keep only one or two electrics and one or two amps. I'm honestly not sure.

Then again, I could keep everything because WTF. I already own it.

I'm standing at the crossroads; Believe I'm sinking down.

"What would you do with the money if you sold your gear, Les?"

"You mean besides hookers and booze?"

"You never do hookers and booze."

"I know, but it sounds pretty badass, right?"
Any musical instrument (and in my mind, especially a guitar) deserves to be played. Sitting in a case or hanging on a wall as a decoration is not a fitting life for anything crafted to create music. They should continue to fulfill their purpose. If not by you, then they need to go into the hands of someone who will. Notice I didn’t mention the money. Yes, there is nothing wrong with trying to get a return on your investment, but to me, that is secondary.

Ya know, I’ve downsized a couple of times. The first was easy because it allowed the Mrs to retire 3 years early. After things were in order, and we figured out how to live with only one of us working, the collection grew again. Back in April of this year I looked around and thought wtf am I doing with 20 guitars. Barely playing any of them. I went to 7, and it was actually kind of a relief. Didn’t need to do it, just did. You’ve got some cool stuff, but it’s ok to part with it. Great thing is you can always get ‘em again.

Similarly to Bodia, my collection grew and then was reduced. It has grown a bit again due to finding tops that I had to have.

Before I was only a home player and had dreams of what I would do if I was really in a band. When I finally started playing in bands and gigging, I found the reality was very different than the dream gear wise. I frankly could get by with just the one pictured in my avatar.

Even my views on amp cabs and modeling have changed. Home practice with no amp through my Mac and KRK Rokit 8's, band practice with a Pod Go.

Guitars are Art as well though, so if you display them as art keep them. If they are in cases not played, take advantage of the market.

Les, two of the near-constants in your posts are viewing your instruments as tools and regret in hastily selling gear. It’s the trading of one thing to have another that seems to drive your second-guessing.

If there’s nothing else you’re contemplating, I’d sit on the decision for a bit. Put them out of sight, keep them out of mind, and see how it feels over some time.

Back