Should fretboard binding/finish issues on a new SE be a deal breaker?

CJM3175

Last night I received a brand new PRS SE Torero. It's an amazing instrument, but there is one flaw that is bothering me and I don't know if it can be addressed. The binding on the bass string side is lifting and or cracking at 11-14 frets and 16-17 frets.

ipzl2q.jpg

vpeqv6.jpg

ixc9d5.jpg

I don't know if this is something that is normal, but the dealer I purchased it from sent me pictures of the other Torero they had in stock and it appears to have the same issue.

pwgqaqke6f3nxilnfkt7.jpg

I realize that SE's have a long distance to travel, and thus are probably exposed to extreme climate changes, but do you think PRS sends them out to dealers like this? Is this cosmetic flaw one that they believe is inevitable or just too much of a hassle to control? I do love everything else about the instrument, and I don't expect it to stay in perfect shape forever. It's just that when I buy new I want to know that every dent ding nick etc was done by none other than me. I want a virgin!!!

Last night I received a brand new PRS SE Torero. It's an amazing instrument, but there is one flaw that is bothering me and I don't know if it can be addressed. The binding on the bass string side is lifting and or cracking at 11-14 frets and 16-17 frets.

ipzl2q.jpg

vpeqv6.jpg

ixc9d5.jpg

I don't know if this is something that is normal, but the dealer I purchased it from sent me pictures of the other Torero they had in stock and it appears to have the same issue.

pwgqaqke6f3nxilnfkt7.jpg

I realize that SE's have a long distance to travel, and thus are probably exposed to extreme climate changes, but do you think PRS sends them out to dealers like this? Is this cosmetic flaw one that they believe is inevitable or just too much of a hassle to control? I do love everything else about the instrument, and I don't expect it to stay in perfect shape forever. It's just that when I buy new I want to know that every dent ding nick etc was done by none other than me. I want a virgin!!!

I ended up sanding most of that off mine. If you don't mind the neck finish and it's. Bothering you then send it back and have them send a new one. Shouldn't be that way.

I believe you are in the right. Pretty sure the warranty states defects in worksmanship are covered. This is pretty obvious to me and is borne out by the fact that there is another one like it with the same issue.

For a new guitar, I would find that unacceptable. There are other new guitars out there available - have your dealer get a good one. All of my SEs have been perfect in the finish and workmanship, even the used Akerfeldt I bought sight-unseen.

I would not expect that on a new guitar, and I'm sure that PRS (or your dealer) would stand behind it and either repair or replace.

Late to this post but my Torero fret board is not like that. It has no defects, and it came from Korea just like yours did. send it back.

I seriously doubt that it left final inspection in Maryland looking like that. A swirl mark or tiny chip might get through, but I'm having a hard time believing that that much finish flaw went unnoticed before shipment.

But, I do believe that the dealer and/or PRS will make this right with either e repair or a swap.

PRS is great about making it right.
My SE Angelus Standard case was ripped on the bottom, and my dealer had PRS send him a new case for me which I picked up a few weeks back under warranty.

Back