Body paint finish

Richie Selmo

Hello everyone, I am writing to you because I am in the process of repainting a prs that I rescued from a room with a lot of humidity and the paint is ruined, full of cloudy spots. I have managed to reach the colors I wanted on the top.But due to my lack of experience I have sanded too much and removed some paint from the body and I don't know how or what to use to paint the extra paint. Can someone tell me what type of paint to look for to correct that. Under the green paint I can see white.

We are going to need more information.

Is this a Core, S2 or SE guitar?
What year is the guitar?
What is the original color of the guitar?

They changed colors and finish types over the years.

Hello, I have photos but I read in the forum that until the third post I cannot upload links.
Is a Custom 22 (2001) ten top. Emerald Green

That is going to be a poly finish. I think the emerald green is actually a leather dye that they used to add the color. There are a few ways to fill the poly topcoat.

Can someone tell me what type of paint to look for to correct that. Under the green paint I can see white.
So as noted, that isn't "paint", it is stain. And the white is the wood. I'm assuming you can see wood grain through the finish (because Emerald Green was not a "solid" color offering).

You will need to carefully re-stain the area, and color matching (and using the same type of stain so it ages the same as the original) may be tricky.

You might find it easiest to sand it down to the wood totally, and re-stain from scratch. What you've had to do means the guitar has no inherent "stock" value anyway.

And I say this as an armchair guitar finisher - I wouldn't try it myself normally because I don't trust myself, but in this case you probably have little to lose by sanding it down all the way and rebuilding from the naked wood. It would guarantee (if you do it right) that the finish will last as long as a factory job.

Back