Short fingers curse

gemyneye

So many guitars, not enough time
So, I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I find that my fingers are very short and can't do a lot of techniques the pros use. For example, the thumb over the neck. If I try that even on my pattern thin, I am literally gripping the back of the neck with my palm and unable to fret anything cleanly above the 2nd (b) string. I have worked on stretching them over the past 25 years and I can get a clean 6 fret spread from 5th position over 3-4 strings. But that wrap-over thumb, I have tried and tried and I think I'm at the point that I have to admit I won't be able to do it and concentrate on techniques I can do and do well. I suppose it was like finally admitting I am short (5'6) and will never look like Arnold Schwarzenegger (weighing in currently at 140). But hey, I can still knock out rings dips, pull-ups, pushups, in sets of dozens while in my 50's. I suppose it's time to stop trying to be like others and just run with what I've got. Although, I still wonder if there is a neck out there that would completely change my playing ease? I doubt it. And for the first time in a long time, I am considering buying a non-PRS.... a Suhr Classic T.

I am with you my brother. My friend once told me he didn’t know how I could play guitar “with those Billy Barty hands”.
Feel your pain. My mom was 4'10 and my dad 5'11 so I got the mid point lol. I once had a picture with my co-worker who was a football player in college. Next to him I looked like a child. lol We have our challenges and I guess that makes us work harder and want it more!

My wife said she feels bad for me when she sees other guitar players with long fingers because they make it look so easy and it looks like I have to work to do some of the same stuff.

She also says she feels bad for herself when she sees me.

Yeah, we all have our limits! Like me for example, unable to play Zappa!! Of course, part of this is not trying very hard at all, but another part is being able to reach some of the chords he makes, just never gonna happen with my hands (although I do have the reach to be able to mute with my thumb the E and even the E and A with some chords). I feel y'all but we just have to work with what we have, work being the operative word here!!!

Although, I still wonder if there is a neck out there that would completely change my playing ease? I doubt it. And for the first time in a long time, I am considering buying a non-PRS.... a Suhr Classic T.
The feel of a Fender style neck could be good, you won't know 'til you try.

Suhr makes a really nice T style guitar, by the way.

The 9-12 radius looks appealing. I keep playing Fenders when I go to a guitar store and still love the PRS necks. Never tried a Suhr though.

The 9-12 radius looks appealing. I keep playing Fenders when I go to a guitar store and still love the PRS necks. Never tried a Suhr though.
I've played several, and for that style of guitar, they're stellar.

One of my pals is also a friend of John's, and became a dealer. He absolutely loves their gear and swears by it. Another terrific Fender-influenced guitar brand is the Tom Anderson, and I've had several that were really fine instruments. As good as Suhrs, a little less Fender and more 'modern' if that matters, but they do their own thing.

I had an Anderson Droptop and an Anderson Hollow T before I realized I simply sounded best on a PRS, so why screw around. It's not a knock on Suhr or Anderson that I like what I like.

I'd certainly look at Suhr if I was in the market for a Tele. I already know Fenders are too clunky for me, and don't quite have the tone I'm looking for.

Fact is, I prefer a set neck guitar that utilizes the PRS formula of woods, and I've been an advocate of PRS design details since 1991, but that's just because it's the way I think I sound best. You may feel differently about your best sound.

When I say PRS is the best guitar for me, that's very much a result of the way I play and the sounds I hear in my head. It's not a criticism of other sounds, or other styles, of instrument.

There are lots of beautiful choices out there in guitar world. Enjoy them while you're able to!

I've played several, and for that style of guitar, they're stellar.

One of my pals is also a friend of John's, and became a dealer. He absolutely loves their gear and swears by it. Another terrific Fender-influenced guitar brand is the Tom Anderson, and I've had several that were really fine instruments. As good as Suhrs, a little less Fender and more 'modern' if that matters, but they do their own thing.

I had an Anderson Droptop and an Anderson Hollow T before I realized I simply sounded best on a PRS, so why screw around. It's not a knock on Suhr or Anderson that I like what I like.

I'd certainly look at Suhr if I was in the market for a Tele. I already know Fenders are too clunky for me, and don't quite have the tone I'm looking for.

Fact is, I prefer a set neck guitar that utilizes the PRS formula of woods, and I've been an advocate of PRS design details since 1991, but that's just because it's the way I think I sound best. You may feel differently about your best sound.

When I say PRS is the best guitar for me, that's very much a result of the way I play and the sounds I hear in my head. It's not a criticism of other sounds, or other styles, of instrument.

There are lots of beautiful choices out there in guitar world. Enjoy them while you're able to!

I’ve known John for 35 years and own his instruments. They are top notch.

I have small hands/fingers and I’ve always done my best to keep it from affecting my playing. I can convincingly play the opening lick of the “Ice Cream Man” solo.

Not easy, but I can make it happen.

I too keep coming back to PRS, I just really enjoy all the models that I own.

Wow! How do you guys know John Suhr?

Stress is tied to comparing ourselves to others

Honestly there will always be someone younger better looking richer smarter who can
jump the moon while we cannot.

Reality is that there is a place which affords us comfort and release. Set your goals too high and you will be disappointed … Grissom, McGlaughlin, Hendrix, SRV … all outliers and not many will reach their level of musicianship or technical skills.

Yet there’s a huge body of music that we serfs can embrace enjoy and find release …

The most technically difficult licks may sound amazing but there is a lot of music that may be more emotive and soulful.

B B King didn’t mimic those younger and faster but his licks could make you cry.

Find a body of music that matches your skill set and physical abilities and leverage it to your advantage. That’s a lot harder than buying a different axe ... but will serve you better in the long run

I have small hands/fingers and I’ve always done my best to keep it from affecting my playing. I can convincingly play the opening lick of the “Ice Cream Man” solo.

Not easy, but I can make it happen.
Haven’t tried that one.

Stress is tied to comparing ourselves to others

Honestly there will always be someone younger better looking richer smarter who can
jump the moon while we cannot.

Reality is that there is a place which affords us comfort and release. Set your goals too high and you will be disappointed … Grissom, McGlaughlin, Hendrix, SRV … all outliers and not many will reach their level of musicianship or technical skills.

Yet there’s a huge body of music that we serfs can embrace enjoy and find release …

The most technically difficult licks may sound amazing but there is a lot of music that may be more emotive and soulful.

B B King didn’t mimic those younger and faster but his licks could make you cry.

Find a body of music that matches your skill set and physical abilities and leverage it to your advantage. That’s a lot harder than buying a different axe ... but will serve you better in the long run
Indeed. That’s my new focus this upcoming year as my fitness focus has changed this past year.

Look for models of Strats that have the 7.25" vintage radius. They have a very slim feel in the hand. There are lots of models from USA and Mexican lines that have that vintage profile. Might very well be able to find one in a local guitar store to try out if you want.

Back