Shipping a heavy amp

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I have a buddy selling an 80s mesa and I believe it has a flight case.

101 lbs. Have any of you tackled shipping something like this?

What's the best solution?

TIA

Ok, I just created a Fed Ex label shipping a 65lb package with dimensions of 24x15x15 from my house to a random address in Nashville. It was $102 for Fed Ex ground shipping.
I think the weight of 101 lbs keeps it from being shipped through normal channels. I could be wrong about that.

I do know the shipping method he was trying to use had a 1000 insurance limit.

This WAS going from east coast to west coast so road trip probably isn't an option.

I think the weight of 101 lbs keeps it from being shipped through normal channels. I could be wrong about that.

I do know the shipping method he was trying to use had a 1000 insurance limit.

This WAS going from east coast to west coast so road trip probably isn't an option.
Oops, I missed the 101lbs part. East to West is gonna be hella expensive. I'd guess north of 3 bills.

I have shipped a total of 2 amps in my life. My suggestion, don't do it. It is hugely expensive because of the size and weight. It rarely makes it worth it. The last one I shipped was probably 15 years ago and it cost me about $80 back then. I can only imagine how high that cost is now.

You also need a very sturdy box and a way to protect the amp in the box. The box alone can cost you a lot of money if you don't have the original packaging.

I have shipped a total of 2 amps in my life. My suggestion, don't do it. It is hugely expensive because of the size and weight. It rarely makes it worth it. The last one I shipped was probably 15 years ago and it cost me about $80 back then. I can only imagine how high that cost is now.

You also need a very sturdy box and a way to protect the amp in the box. The box alone can cost you a lot of money if you don't have the original packaging.
Amp is in a flight case

Amp is in a flight case
That will help with protecting the amp but will add to the cost of shipping. You will still need a sturdy box for it so the case doesn't get marked up. I don't think they will take it without a box.

If your buddy has a good relationship with a local dealer it may be worth having a word and seeing if they can help out. Business customers can tap into things that private individuals can't.
Very true. I saw the price Sweetwater paid to ship something to me last year and about fell out of my chair. I realize they are a HUGE account, but it was a fraction of what it would cost for me to ship the same items.

Very true. I saw the price Sweetwater paid to ship something to me last year and about fell out of my chair. I realize they are a HUGE account, but it was a fraction of what it would cost for me to ship the same items.
I am in the UK. The dealer who shipped me my MKIVB combo in paid Less than £10 fully insured next day. (This was in May 2020)

I have an 85 pound Mesa amp. It took my brother and I half a day to simply wrangle it down the stairs and out of the original Mesa shipping box upon its arrival 5-ish years ago.

Weak, feckless old men such as myself should be prohibited both by law and the conventions of Science from moving an item of such immense weight.

In truth, this should include our own bodies, that no longer obey such brain commands such as, "Get out of the chair without nearly falling over."

have an 85 pound Mesa amp. It took my brother and I half a day to simply wrangle it down the stairs and out of the original Mesa shipping box upon its arrival 5-ish years ago.
About 5 years ago, a local store had a leftover Road King… 2x12 combo! It was new, and like 5-6 years old. The salesman was a big Mesa guy, owned 6-7 different Mesa amps. He said the only reason it never sold was the weight. He said it weighed 104lbs!!!

He told me to pick it up. It was a freaking beast! He laughed and said that he had sold three different heads, and cabs to people who demoed it, but nobody would ever buy the combo because it was so heavy.

I happen to work for a company who lets us ship stuff through their corporate UPS account, and then we get a bill from the accounting department afterwards. The rates are so much lower than over-the-counter, it's crazy! It's a good setup of you can get it; I wouldn't have nearly sold as much stuff on TGP & Reverb with "free shipping" if I didn't have this perk.

I have an 85 pound Mesa amp. It took my brother and I half a day to simply wrangle it down the stairs and out of the original Mesa shipping box upon its arrival 5-ish years ago.

Weak, feckless old men such as myself should be prohibited both by law and the conventions of Science from moving an item of such immense weight.

In truth, this should include our own bodies, that no longer obey such brain commands such as, "Get out of the chair without nearly falling over."
I hear ya loud and clear.

I have 100lb suitcase weights on the back of my skid steer for when I'm moving my certified 1000lb weights around from vehicle to vehicle or in my shop.

I can pickup and move two at a time fairly easy but anymore my back doesn't like it so I stopped doing it.

Getting old has been a real education!

Back