Setup Videos

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
I asked this a few years back, but it got buried.
Anyway to get someone maybe from the factory showing how to do some basic setup videos showing:
1. Truss rod adjustment
2. Setting the action
3. Intonating all bridge styles
4. Adjusting pickup height

I know there are other brands of guitar videos showing this online, but it would be nice to see some PRS guitars too.
I want to be able to do some minor setups in the future instead of taking my guitars into my dealer each time which equates into two trips there.
Not that that is a bad thing, when I dropped off my ZM for its setup a few weeks back is when my new S2 begged me to take it home with me, and I did the next day when I picked up the ZM.

If PRS does not put up any vids in the future, anyone here that is great with setups willing to put some up on a YouTube channel and post them to a "How To Setup Your Guitar" thread?

I am getting something next week (yes, pics will be required :D ) that will help me with setups.

Yes, these are quite good and they have helped me understand a lot about setup. Haven't done the Mann thing, but I have gone through the PRS support/help pages and they helped a lot, though they were not videos.

What's the difference between a PRS setup and a setup for another flavour?

Yes I understand the values may/will be different but the setting up thereof is the same surely?

There are tons of videos for setting up guitars. The principals are fairly easy to learn.

What I think the OP might be after is what are the nuances of setting up a PRS, perhaps model specific things that a generalized setup video might not address.

Corey, you're the king of looking for videos. I knew from the start you were looking for something unique that just isn't out there yet.

Thanks Bill :D
Yes, I truly would like to see some hi-def vids shot by PRS on this subject.
The only thing I can do now is change strings, change out the end pins for the Schaller one, change a TRC, etc.
I am not overly confident on trying a setup, and the first time I do I would try it on my SE Custom 24 since I do not play it much anymore.

It would be great to see a link to setup videos from the main PRS site.
Also having never done a bias on an amp, and being that the PRS amps have the external ports for it, maybe some on that subject too.
One day I will own an Archon perhaps.
Right now with my Mark Five 25 there is no need to bias, it is self adjusting, so a tube swap is no problem.

For me, I prefer a sheet I can refer back to instead of constantly pausing, starting and rewinding videos, so I printed a sheet off when I first start doing my own setups (link at the bottom). After I practiced on my SE a couple times doig different setups, I found I can get the job done in about 8 minutes, depending on how much action adjustment I need to do.

I would like to see a video on setting up a Floyd though, as I now own 2 Floyd equipped guitars for some reason, and one of them has a bridge straight from the FR factory with zero adjustment done to it, lol. At least I got the intonation tool :D

http://www.samash.com/opncms/opencms/samash/library/main/How_to_Set_Up_an_Electric_Guitar.html

Back