Seriously craving a PS Archtop.

3f437b8da26a22cfbca64067e5e58472.jpg

I've have to make do with a Guild for a number of years. It looks like the stars will never align for a PRS.

There is NOTHING wrong with Guilds! I had a Starfire IV and VI, an X500, Johnny Smith and Artist Award. Among the finest guitars I have ever been lucky enough to own!!
:):):)

I am pretty sure, yes. But, a thick flamed Chevron figured Maple top still calls.
:D

...Brazzy neck and fretboard, 57/08 pups, Maple binding, Artist 3 purfling on neck and body, Americana birds, and master volume and tone knobs only. I want to keep the top as free as possible for maximum acoustic resonance. I think that's why Spruce will win out. TONE!

Hope you find one, and IMO a spruce top on that model is essential, with a lively, immediate resonance like no other.

I grabbed one from the 'Archtop Jazz' run of a few years ago, and it became an immediate favorite.

I am pretty sure, yes. But, a thick flamed Chevron figured Maple top still calls.

...Brazzy neck and fretboard, 57/08 pups, Maple binding, Artist 3 purfling on neck and body, Americana birds, and master volume and tone knobs only. I want to keep the top as free as possible for maximum acoustic resonance. I think that's why Spruce will win out. TONE!
Oh yeah! Pattern vintage neck carve? Or are you staying with the 25” scale?

Oh yeah! Pattern vintage neck carve? Or are you staying with the 25” scale?

25" but I want the pattern vintage neck carve!
I'm going with the 25" because on the 594 the tone post for the separate bridge and tailpiece is over twice as big. I want the top to resonate as much as possible, thus the original pre HB2 bracing,1 piece bridge/tailpiece, and a Master volume and tone knob only.

:)

With respect to keeping the top as free as possible, what about putting your master volume and tone pots on either a floating pickguard or the ebony tailpiece? I don't think I've ever see pots on a tailpiece before. Would that be cool?

There is NOTHING wrong with Guilds! I had a Starfire IV and VI, an X500, Johnny Smith and Artist Award. Among the finest guitars I have ever been lucky enough to own!!
:):):)
I’m playing an X170 for about 20 years now. Before that an X700 that was a casualty of the divorce.

Reactions: Tag
I’m playing an X170 for about 20 years now. Before that an X700 that was a casualty of the divorce.

The 170s are nice, and the X700s are phenomenal! I would take one over an electric L5 every time!

Back