SE Nut Material??

Matte82

So I recently picked up a very lightly used SE Paul's guitar for a reputable dealer for an absolute steal. I know, I know, I need to post pics. I will asap. Anyway I bought this guitar with the intention of putting in some Fishman Fluence pickups I have lying around. Yes I bought the pickups without a guitar to put them in. They were used for a good deal, and I've been intrigued. So the guitar gets here and it's freakin awesome. It just sings. Loud and proud. And the stock pickups are really really great too. So the fishmans will likely be sitting for a while still. However as I tend to do, I did look for things that could be improved. Mostly the tuners, they're not bad, but not great. So I ordered a set of graphtech locking ratio tuners. (I love these things), and some schroeder locking studs for the tail piece. Those were supposed to be raw brass, but they sent me nickel instead. It works so I'm going with it. I also ordered a core nut. I have put one on every SE I've ever bought.

So yesterday I have all the stuff and go to modify the guitar. However I pop off the nut, and it hits the floor and "clinks". What???? I've never heard a plastic SE nut do that. So I look closer, then get out a bit of sand paper. Sure enough, it appears to be brass infused just like a core nut. So I glue it back on. Is this standard on SE's? Maybe just the Paul's guitar?? FWIW I had actually sent a letter to PRS tech asking about the nut material before it got here. They said it was made out of a similar material, without the added brass compound. Mine sure looks like it has brass in it? Did mine maybe get swapped out by the previous owner? And fwiw there's still plastic on the control cavity cover.

zZHtyOT.jpg

I believe that the SE Paul guitars come with the Core nut. Actually, all new SEs may. The website lists the nut for both Core and SE as PRS. They're all black now. I seem to recall my Bernie and One had white plastic nuts.

That’s kind of what I’m thinking. Maybe they have switched over the SE’s. Which is really cool imo. One less thing to change. I think the combo of the nut and the aluminum bridge with brass inserts, really helps this guitar sing. I’m really impressed with it.

My SE Paul's has the core nut. But I've heard of others that do not have them. Not sure if it was random or a switch at some point. Mine is a 2019 for reference.
My 2020 SE Paul's had a core material but seemingly foreign made nut.

It measured and weighed the same as the core nut but definitely manufactured somewhere else with a WT on the inside where it contacts the end of the fretboard.

My 2020 SE Paul's had a core material but seemingly foreign made nut.

It measured and weighed the same as the core nut but definitely manufactured somewhere else with a WT on the inside where it contacts the end of the fretboard.

Well that’s interesting. The ones I ordered from John Mann have WT on the side that faces the fingerboard. The one that came on the guitar didn’t.

Back