SE Mark Holcomb Speculation

That would be a great addition to the lineup! I hope it's happening. I couldn't get in on the limited model, but I was interested... :)

The gloss, birds, bridge, and what looks to be a veneer make me think S2 / SE. Hard to tell, but I don't notice the normal S2 bevel, so that kind of eliminates S2, if I'm right on that.

You might be onto something. Hard to tell if it's carved or not due to the bowling ball sheen on that baby. Looking nice, though! If it's flat body, give it an arm bevel and I'm COMPLETELY IN.

It's definitely flat top -- look at the reflections.

I am most probably in. It looks sweet. It sounds sweet, from a listening perspective, although I don't play stuff like that, so would need to hear some clean tones before I commit.

I have been waiting for this since they released his core sig. I have a feeling it could be pricey even for an se though, purely because his sig Seymour duncans are £300 alone. add that to a £600 guitar and all of a sudden it could be nearly S2 money. that said it'll still be worth every penny.

Fairly sure his sig Duncans were also limited run (or special order)? Were they successful?

Very.
I have been waiting for this since they released his core sig. I have a feeling it could be pricey even for an se though, purely because his sig Seymour duncans are £300 alone. add that to a £600 guitar and all of a sudden it could be nearly S2 money. that said it'll still be worth every penny.
Yeah, I suspect they won't be putting his sig pickups in the SE.

Fairly sure his sig Duncans were also limited run (or special order)? Were they successful?

If I recall correctly, people snatched up the majority of them fairly quickly. But then you saw "only a few more sets remaining" for months and months, so I'm not even sure they sold them all. I wanted some but they were very pricey.

Yeah, I suspect they won't be putting his sig pickups in the SE.

I agree. It would be awesome, but would shoot the price up, and I don't remember there being signature pickups in a SE before.

Don't know if they were successful, but they came with ... I want to say a USB drive of Juggernauts Alpha and Omega or something. So yeah, they were limited and you can't buy them from SD any more, anyway. You can find them used once in a while, though, but not that often, so I would consider them successful.

If it has a maple neck, ebony board, 25.5 inch scale, and comes in that Holcomb burst color... I don't see any way I'm not getting one.

That would be a monster for sure! I use my SE Custom 24 (with maple neck and some hot Dimarzios) tuned down a whole step, and it hits like a freight train!

That would be a monster for sure! I use my SE Custom 24 (with maple neck and some hot Dimarzios) tuned down a whole step, and it hits like a freight train!

I do something similar with my CE 24 (bolt-on maple neck and SD Nazgul / Sentient) tuned down a whole step also... I know what you mean!!!

This would be cool! That is, assuming this isn't just a one-off SE made for Mark as a backup for his 6 string.
Although I kind of hope they do it in a satin finish if this does become a production model :)

I too wonder what pickups will be in the guitar. I feel like having Seymour Duncan make a whole new batch may be expensive and add too much to the price; although, the Alpha/Omega pickups that were sold were made in the Custom Shop, so if they did a limited run on their regular production line it wouldn't be as much (I'm guessing, although it could be the opposite for all I know).
Maybe he will opt for another set of production Duncans (Nazgul/Sentient?), but to keep the price down I wouldn't be surprised if we will get either the PRS SE HFS/VB or a modified version of those pickups to Mark's specs, like a PRS SE Holcomb Pickups.

Speculation is so exciting! :)

That looks nice! Would be very interested in an SE sig Mark Holcomb model.

Maybe he will opt for another set of production Duncans (Nazgul/Sentient?)...
No idea which model, but in general, this would be my guess, too. I mean, the Torero has EMGs in it, and it's an SE, so not a stretch at all, and it decouples them from developing a pickup themselves (especially something as foreign as contemporary metal sounding), having SD develop pickups or trying to integrate a new SD pickup, when there are plenty of perfectly good pickups that would work with that Holcomb sound (as heard in the video, for example) (Nazgul/Sentient being a good example).

This would be cool! That is, assuming this isn't just a one-off SE made for Mark as a backup for his 6 string.
Although I kind of hope they do it in a satin finish if this does become a production model

Good point, COULD be a one-off. But I can't help but think that if he needed more backup guitars, PRS would just make him more of his Core model. And then that begs the question, "Does he really only have the one Core model 6-string?" I've never seen him play another one, and he uses that one for a lot of different tunings, but I would think he has more.

+1 on the satin finish too. But if we're talking SEs, I don't expect it.

Back