SE Headstock Mod - Fun times with Vinyl

Bringing this up again due a small issue just occurring…… aside from the adhesive that comes o the decal,… is there a way to make it more permanent?
My issue is the edges…..I can see that some points on the edges, it’s starts to lift up as if the adhesive is drying out. Instead of doing a full headstock paint stripping: removing the flat black “SE-Logo”,…..I’d like to see if I can make what I’ve done so far rather permanent.
Any ideas…..??

I believe @Fullmoon 1971 has done this on a couple of his. Hopefully he will chip in.

I actually use a cheap clear gel nail varnish, brush it on the edges super lightly and then remove any excess with a piece of kitchen towel. the beauty of this method is that if needs to be removed simple nail varnish remover will do the job with affecting the poly finish.
That's a good idea, I might try this. I had considered a very light poly coat too. Minwax made a wipe on type, but I dunno if they still manufacture it.

Yes...that does sound like a great, non-comittment type of approach!!
I'll try that as well..awesome and thanks for the feedback. Long term, not sure if stripping the black SE-Logo headstock paint would reveal a good visual wood grain or not but I'm liking the darker, red-wood that this vinyl is giving---so that's why I'd prefer to keep this instead of going through the effort and not liking the raw wood grain beneath.

Resurrecting this one. Decided to do this after viewing this thread. Got 3M Di-NOC samples from RMWraps, since the Belbien wasn’t availabe. Now I’m just faced with the decision of whether or not to clear coat it before I put my new logo on. Working on a SE Custom 22 in Whale Blue. Swapped all the hardware over to gold. Giving it the “Artist” treatment.

Resurrecting this one. Decided to do this after viewing this thread. Got 3M Di-NOC samples from RMWraps, since the Belbien wasn’t availabe. Now I’m just faced with the decision of whether or not to clear coat it before I put my new logo on. Working on a SE Custom 22 in Whale Blue. Swapped all the hardware over to gold. Giving it the “Artist” treatment.
I should try clear coating some of mine, at the very least the Nick Catanese one. I'll never be taking that cover off.

I would like to see and about your experience with the clear-coating you add.
It’s been a few years now and this vinyl has the look of staying on: no issues.

I would like to see and about your experience with the clear-coating you add.
It’s been a few years now and this vinyl has the look of staying on: no issues.
I’m hesitant to do it. I do have another sample that I may try some 2K clear on and see how it reacts. It looks pretty good without, but long term? Could it fade, or peel in the Florida humidity? Plus I need to have this done by February 24th for a show.

I’m hesitant to do it. I do have another sample that I may try some 2K clear on and see how it reacts. It looks pretty good without, but long term? Could it fade, or peel in the Florida humidity? Plus I need to have this done by February 24th for a show.
It would probably be ok, so long as you keep the coat thin. Try it on a sample first tho or course. I will be trying this, but I need to find the right stuff.

Oh yeah, you may wanna use spar urethane. Holds up best against bad weather factors.

It would probably be ok, so long as you keep the coat thin. Try it on a sample first tho or course. I will be trying this, but I need to find the right stuff.

Oh yeah, you may wanna use spar urethane. Holds up best against bad weather factors.
Yeah I use Urethane also, just seems to orange peel more, requires a lot of wet sanding and buffing. The 2k clear with hardener lays down really flat and is like glass. If the conditions are right and it’s sprayed correctly, you’re pretty much done once it’s dry.

Back