SE Headstock Mod - Fun times with Vinyl

Wow ! If this vinyl comes in a "flamed maple top " variety .... This might be the way to get a flamed stripey top on an S2 Mc Carty Thinline !!! :)

I would not be brave enough to do it however. BUT if the artisans at PRS are listening ... Maybe they could apply (and seal the top) so that it would look killer. ! Imagine labor would be the major adder, as the material cost is probably negligible ...

Affecting tone ??? (all sealed and thick ?) Hey Supro makes guitars outta plastic, that my man Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys) gets killa blues tone out of so ...:D

So if the Candywater guys can order a special run ??? :cool: I can see next years Toy Budget being pledged for this ...

Wow ! If this vinyl comes in a "flamed maple top " variety .... This might be the way to get a flamed stripey top on an S2 Mc Carty Thinline !!! :).

I never found any flame maple Belbien, but there was a flamed sycamore I think, which I used on my 35th. I'll have to post a pic of that one, I'm not sure if I'm diggin it as much as the rosewood, but it still looks cool.

:confused:
A couple months ago I cam across an old post by some dude here where he was doing a few upgrades/cosmetic alterations to his Zach Meyers SE. Something that caught my eye was he used a product called Di-Noc, which is basically a wood grain vinyl wrap, and overlaid it on the headstock. I thought it was kinda rad, and not a bad idea to try out. I found a place called RMWraps, and they sell 8X10 sample sheets of Belbien (similar to Di-Noc). Perfect for my nefarious purposes. So, went ahead and did it to the PG, and here's the result. I dig it. Plus its non damaging to the finish, so it can be removed in a cinch.

Original...
OuIFFJe.jpg

Current
ifemhyy.jpg

Thank for posting this yours looks fantastic and it finally made me get off my butt and the sort the headstock out on my 2010 (werewolf artwork) Nick Catanese. I always loved the body art but the headstock bugged me (Nightshift was a band I was in that imploded just after the guitar was finished:confused:). my main problem with it though was the silly little bat at the tip.]

Original design with nightshift logo
50460790408_d219e4190a_k.jpg

Modded design with textured ebony print
51169777922_f5f9b1f154_k.jpg

Close up of headstock (just waiting on a silver PRS logo and final smoothing around tuner posts)
51170449826_c791dc1b4a_b.jpg

I have some gloss cherry on order and may end up doing the faces of my two Bernies as well

:confused:

Thank for posting this yours looks fantastic and it finally made me get off my butt and the sort the headstock out on my 2010 (werewolf artwork) Nick Catanese. I always loved the body art but the headstock bugged me (Nightshift was a band I was in that imploded just after the guitar was finished:confused:). my main problem with it though was the silly little bat at the tip.]

Original design with nightshift logo
50460790408_d219e4190a_k.jpg

Modded design with textured ebony print (needs smoothing around the tuner posts)
51169777922_f5f9b1f154_k.jpg

Close up of headstock (just waiting on a silver PRS logo)
51170449826_8ae85739f2_k.jpg

Ihave some gloss cherry on order and may end up doing the faces of my two Bernies as well
Nice! I love that werewolf paint job. Easily one of my favorite SE's I've come across. Great job on the ebony veneer! When I applied mine, I just used a credit card to smooth it out, and a little 3000 grit trizac on any nasty edges.

Last edited:
Ok, here's the 35th. This is the...flamed sycamore. Interesting, not 100% sure I'm gonna keep it...what can I say, I'm a tweaker.

Original
etP4Odp.jpg

Current
DsRwrlb.jpg

The curse of a tweaker! I like the flame myself but pictures only show so much. I know when I tweak I keep it for a few days to see if I like it over time. Often I'm more used to what was there and the change sometimes throws me off at first.

The curse of a tweaker! I like the flame myself but pictures only show so much. I know when I tweak I keep it for a few days to see if I like it over time. Often I'm more used to what was there and the change sometimes throws me off at first.

Indeed, the dark curse of tweaker island is upon us! I think thats the next Pirates film.

Another cool thing Ive found is this stuff works with plastic cover plates. I did a few using the rosewood and mahogany variety and they look pretty good. Not much different to real rosewood plates I have, but considerably less expensive.

A couple months ago I cam across an old post by some dude here where he was doing a few upgrades/cosmetic alterations to his Zach Meyers SE. Something that caught my eye was he used a product called Di-Noc, which is basically a wood grain vinyl wrap, and overlaid it on the headstock. I thought it was kinda rad, and not a bad idea to try out. I found a place called RMWraps, and they sell 8X10 sample sheets of Belbien (similar to Di-Noc). Perfect for my nefarious purposes. So, went ahead and did it to the PG, and here's the result. I dig it. Plus its non damaging to the finish, so it can be removed in a cinch.

Original...
OuIFFJe.jpg

Current
ifemhyy.jpg
Looks great, and the color is spot on with the board, excellent job.

These are some fantastic headstock mods.....

I'm reading through the posts but is there a location, website where these small $$ samples are available..??
Even at $10-$15, this project seems very worth it....

Awesome guys!!!

These are some fantastic headstock mods.....

I'm reading through the posts but is there a location, website where these small $$ samples are available..??
Even at $10-$15, this project seems very worth it....

Awesome guys!!!
Yeah, go to RMWraps.com. you can buy sample 9x11 peices for $3.

Back