SE DGT or SE McCarty 594?

SE DGT or SE McCarty 594?

• 1) SE DGT.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • 2) SE McCarty 594.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Jerrydpi

After ALL my research (uh-oh :) ), I'm buying one or the other this week, and please note it will be my one and only guitar for now.

For recording only originals, and the genres are:
1) Pop.
2) Modern Country.
3) R&B.
4) Contemporary Jazz.
5) Rock (only now and then, mainly then :) ).

Which one, and WHY?

I use both. My number one is the 594. It happened mostly by accident. I like the DGT more, but the 594 works better for what I am doing musically right now. The shorter scale mixed with the heavy gauge strings tuned down to C# feels better for long sessions.

The DGT is much more of a chameleon to my ears. Mine has been modded with push/pulls on the volume pots with the tone being a stationary pot. This gives me WAY more versatility by having each pickup split individually and I can control the ratio of pickup blends. This makes the DGT my go-to guitar for any music I do that is not in the 594s wheelhouse.

For the music you described, I would naturally gravitate to one of three guitars:

1. DGT if I needed/wanted humbucker/blended tones
2. Esquire if I needed/wanted a raw tone
3. Strat because sometimes, despite my hatred of them, only a strat will get the it done

Of course, it's all subjective, but that's where it is for me.

What makes it more versatile?

The below says it. :)

The DGT is much more of a chameleon to my ears. Mine has been modded with push/pulls on the volume pots with the tone being a stationary pot. This gives me WAY more versatility by having each pickup split individually and I can control the ratio of pickup blends. This makes the DGT my go-to guitar for any music I do that is not in the 594s wheelhouse.

Of course, it's all subjective, but that's where it is for me.

How did you perform the mods?

Also, what color is your DGT? 😀

😄

Unfortunately I don't have a DGT...yet . I have played them though and was impressed with their versatility in stock form. I think what Mark is talking about could probably be even more versatile, IDK.

As for color, the gold top looks perfect on the SE models IMO. I don't care for other SE paint because of how the lower bout is in comparison to the core models. IMO, the burst and gold top DGT models look the most like the cores.

How did you perform the mods?

Also, what color is your DGT? 😀

I bought some PRS push/pull pots and an extra 550K tone pot. A friend rewired the guitar as follows:

1. Neck volume in the first position. Down = HB, Up = Split
2. Bridge volume got moved back to the second position. Down = HB, Up = Split
3. Tone is a plain 'ole tone pot.

I find this configuration to be PERFECT. The control layout is more intuitive to ME and I greatly prefer individual splits.

The pickups are still stock - they sounded too god to change. My is a gold top:

I bought some PRS push/pull pots and an extra 550K tone pot. A friend rewired the guitar as follows:

1. Neck volume in the first position. Down = HB, Up = Split
2. Bridge volume got moved back to the second position. Down = HB, Up = Split
3. Tone is a plain 'ole tone pot.

I find this configuration to be PERFECT. The control layout is more intuitive to ME and I greatly prefer individual splits.

The pickups are still stock - they sounded too god to change. My is a gold top:

Holy Crap Batman!!!

Back