SE Custom 24 - Opinions

deakle

I am in the market for a Floyd Rose equipped guitar for a project. I am a PRS guy and would love to purchase a Custom 24 equipped with a Floyd, but cannot go that expensive at this point. I am considering the SE Custom 24 equipped with a Floyd Rose and would like to get some opinions from owners or those who have played them. I have played Korean made Schecters and those are awesome guitars for the price point. So, does anyone want to chime in with an opinion on the quality, playability of the SE Custom 24 either with or without a Floyd Rose? Thanks so much!

I'm sure the Floyd model is great. I have a couple SE CU24(ish) models and they're ridiculously good guitars. Mine are modified, but I would imagine that the FR would take most of the issues, or need for mods, out of the equation (minus pickups, which are subjective).

I don't own one, but when I went to buy my first PRS it came down between the S2 Standard 24 that I bought and a SE Custom 24 w/ Floyd.
The SE Custom was an excellent guitar and I almost pulled the trigger on it, but I liked the satin finish of the S2 a little more. The neck felt better to my hands.
Still, I would have had no problem buying the SE and being content with it. It's an excellent quality guitar for the price. GC had dropped the price on them in December, but I think they went back up again.

I've got 2 SE Custom 24s, one regular and one with a Floyd. I love both of them! You can't go wrong with either one of them!

Own a few US core models, and recently picked up my first SE with plate style fixed bridge to experiment with alternate tunings, string gauges, etc. Gotta say, after only spending time with the USA made line, am quite impressed with the quality of the SE. Overall finish and sound is great...but, the tuning stability really sucked. Swapped out the nut for a Tusq XL, and threw some locking tuners on there and now it plays fantastic and rock solid...an extra $100 turns an already impressive Korean import into a guitar that plays way out of it's price range!

I bought the Floyd Rose equipped Se Custom 24 a couple of years ago at a really good price. (I just jumped on the Music Store Live website, chatted with "Ben", and see I bought it Jan 29, 2016 for $608.22.) It immediately became my guitar of choice. I have a Gibson Les Paul Classic and American Strat, among other guitars, and I only pick them up anymore for playing in alternate tunings. I did wind up buying a Tremo-No (oh the humanity) because bending notes whacks out the other strings. It's easy and quick to engage or disengage though, and I like it. I gotta also say, I was amazed at the quality of this import. I can only guess that the Korean manufacturing location is very well run, especially with regard to quality control. I just bought a second SE, and it too is nearly flawless.

You can’t go wrong. I have an SE Custom 24 with a Floyd, and it plays like buttah! Mine is probably 4 years old; I’ve had no problems with the Floyd at all, in terms of tuning stability. Fit and finish are great, and it’s likely that the newer models are shipping with more refined pickups.

I have an SE CU24. What initially attracted me to it was the neck; the thin/wide profile is perfect for my hands. The guitar balances perfectly with a strap; no neck dive. The fit and finish are also excellent; I love the birds fret inlays, etc. Play one at the local music store and see what you think :)

I have one of the SE Custom 24 Floyd's on order from Musicians Friend, one with a nice quilt top and black pickup rings. I wish I could tell you how great it is but they've been on back order since before Christmas..the 'expected' date has remained 10 days out and changes everyday.

I've had an SE 30th Anni CU 24 since new. It's in rotation with USA ones and an SE Single cut Trem. Greater guitar that took me almost a year to break in. Locking tuners, Mann milcom, new nut, and it's solid.

There are several things that happened. First, it's smoother and I use it a lot. I can go up a whole step just by pressing the bar. Second, there seems to be greater note definition no matter what the pickup setting. YMMV on this one. It's been on (the trem, not my amp) for almost a year now, and the guitar is just starting to open up soundwise. When I first got it, the guitar had no volume and no guts. It's got much, much more now. This was bought as a keeper guitar. The neck is fantastic and the intonation is very, very good. This week, it's second in line to my old EGII with 3 Lindy Fralin dominos. I can take the SE to one of the many delightful dive bars I play in and not worry. Ever.

It's been on (the trem, not my amp) for almost a year now, and the guitar is just starting to open up sound wise.

Thanks for the reply. Let me ask the question the other way around, ie what was it about the stock bridge that made you want to change it?

I've had two floyds and hated them but I love my SECU24

Thanks for the reply. Let me ask the question the other way around, ie what was it about the stock bridge that made you want to change it?
I had no intentions of replacing it initially. The guitar had no life to the sound. I liked the feel of the guitar, the pickups sounded good, and I really liked the neck. I also loved the brown quilt on the top.I tried a new nut, & locking tuners. They improved the tuning stability, but not the sound. I knew it was in there, and decided to try the 2000 new old stock to see if it would wake it up. It did. My gas mileage also improved, and I'm not talking about my car.

Back