SE Custom 24-08 2021 vs 2022 (TCI 'S' vs 85/15 'S')

Tcional

So I am at a spot where since November 2021 I am trying to figure out which guitar I want to buy. Considering it will be a first decent guitar of mine (so far I have only Cort G260) after a few weeks of going on about the topic of visuals, ergonomics and versatility I decided to go after an SE Custom 24-08.

Now I see that the 2022 model has 85/15 'S' pickups while the 'old' 2021 had TCI 'S' pups. Was this change intended, a correction or now it's an error is as relevant as the question of whether chasing 2021 model is worthwhile?

The only comparison video that could revolve around those that I've found was this one and the only difference I hear is on the gain tone and TCI 'S' pup seems to have a fuller sound. I mean that 85/15's seems to have some of the sound cut off compared to TCI's.

What are their differences and your opinions on the topic?

Bookmarked because I’m interested in the replies.

Good choice for your first PRS. I believe them to be quite versatile.

Mine (85/15) does seem to have some dropoff at times but nothing I find excessive or detrimental. Depends what I'm doing/playing really.

So I am at a spot where since November 2021 I am trying to figure out which guitar I want to buy. Considering it will be a first decent guitar of mine (so far I have only Cort G260) after a few weeks of going on about the topic of visuals, ergonomics and versatility I decided to go after an SE Custom 24-08.

Now I see that the 2022 model has 85/15 'S' pickups while the 'old' 2021 had TCI 'S' pups. Was this change intended, a correction or now it's an error is as relevant as the question of whether chasing 2021 model is worthwhile?

The only comparison video that could revolve around those that I've found was this one and the only difference I hear is on the gain tone and TCI 'S' pup seems to have a fuller sound. I mean that 85/15's seems to have some of the sound cut off compared to TCI's.

My take on it is that the TCI-S pickups were originally designed for the Paul's SE. They ended up using them for the 35th Anniversary SE 24-08, when the Core Anniversary 24-08 had 85/15's (as does the Core 24-08 today) and the SE Cu-24 had the 85/15 'S' pups. Therefore, it makes sense to use 85/15 'S' in the 'newer' SE's to keep the line 'similar' throughout.

Whether they sound 'better/worse' is purely preference. At the end of the day, the SE range is 'supposed' to be the 'affordable' import version of the Core version and therefore the 'closest' Pickup to the 85/15's they use for the Core model is the 85/15 'S'. The TCI 'S' are based off the Pickups in the 'Core' Paul's guitar.

If you have a Preference, then buy the guitar with your preferred Pups in, but I think the change was more about bringing the SE 24-08 more in line with its 'Core' counterpart than for any other reason.

My take on it is that the TCI-S pickups were originally designed for the Paul's SE. They ended up using them for the 35th Anniversary SE 24-08, when the Core Anniversary 24-08 had 85/15's (as does the Core 24-08 today) and the SE Cu-24 had the 85/15 'S' pups. Therefore, it makes sense to use 85/15 'S' in the 'newer' SE's to keep the line 'similar' throughout.

Whether they sound 'better/worse' is purely preference. At the end of the day, the SE range is 'supposed' to be the 'affordable' import version of the Core version and therefore the 'closest' Pickup to the 85/15's they use for the Core model is the 85/15 'S'. The TCI 'S' are based off the Pickups in the 'Core' Paul's guitar.

If you have a Preference, then buy the guitar with your preferred Pups in, but I think the change was more about bringing the SE 24-08 more in line with its 'Core' counterpart than for any other reason.

Thanks for elaborate reply. I thought that it is to put the SE 24-08 in line with Core models. What I don't know are the differences between TCI 'S' and 85/15 'S' pickups. Where should I hear them if there even are any.

Good choice for your first PRS. I believe them to be quite versatile.

I really like their visuals with the colors of stains and bird inlays. I've played a few different models in store and Custom 24 just played by itself and compared to Les Paul type (245 exactly) was super light, very comfortable for right forearm and left hand on the neck. When I took separate hours with Custom 24 in a different store I just kept falling in love with how easy the guitar plays. I would probably already have one if not the trouble with aesthetics. SE Custom 24 in Blueburst is the only one that suits me from SE line, but the bright maple in a cutaway and on the headstock just sting my eye too much. That's why I'm going for SE Custom 24-08 in Eriza Verde. And this -08 thing with coil splits available on bass+treble position will fill in nicely for middle+neck single on my HSS Cort setup.

Hey Mozzi,
Are there any pickups you would recommend when upgrading from the 85/15 's'? I generally like the qualities of this set but I feel like I could get a tad more clarity and output out of my SE with maybe some SD full shreds, or similar.

Hey Mozzi,
Are there any pickups you would recommend when upgrading from the 85/15 's'? I generally like the qualities of this set but I feel like I could get a tad more clarity and output out of my SE with maybe some SD full shreds, or similar.

Pickups are all about PERSONAL preference so I never recommend anything because its not me that's spending money, not me that has to listen to the sound etc and it seems crazy to me to think that everyone must feel the same way, hear the same, prefer the same etc as I do and of course you all have you own settings on your rigs too - so really you need to understand your instrument within your 'rig' to know where it lacks so can make a more informed choice on what you 'need'...

My own personal belief is that you should spend at least a week, maybe a 'month' with ANY electric instrument before changing something significant like the Pickups. See exactly what your instrument is 'capable' of first, dial in the settings on your rig and really get to know what those Pups offer in YOUR set-up. Then, if there is 'something' you don't like or they seem to 'lack' for you, you can use what you have learned from getting to know your guitar to tweak it more towards your own 'preference' and musical style.

I don't think the 85/15 'S' pickups are 'bad' just because they happened to be 'wound' in Asia as opposed to US/EU for example - I wouldn't say SD's were 'better' just because of where they are made - not to say they aren't better suited to your preference though. They are pretty much all wound by machines these days and lets not forget that PRS 'design' their 'SE' Pups and happily use them on their US made 'S2' range too. They aren't some 'generic' cheap HB they just stick in. I am also a believer of 'Don't mess or try to 'fix' things that aren't broken or need 'fixing'. Why spend more than you 'need' to?

By spending time with your 'new' guitar and playing around with all your 'gear', you'll have a much better understanding of what that instrument can do, and potentially where it doesn't deliver for you. If its not pushing the Amp as 'hard' as you like, then you know you probably need something to 'boost' that or maybe a higher output Pup for example - but you'll be better positioned to know what to look for to suit YOUR preferences and set-up.

Last edited:
I've heard great things about the US 85/15 as well. The Korean wound set I feel and have been hearing from others that they are a "jack of all trades master of none" type of pickup. Don't get me wrong I do like them, have had my SE going on five years now. I've played my friend's SE with the JB/Jazz set and really dug it. There are just so so so many different pickups on the market, and even if you try them out yourself you can never duplicate the exact environment you'd be using them with unless they are in your guitar being played through your amp, so I guess there's always a risk factor in choosing a new set even if they sound good elsewhere.

Here is another video demoing the 2021 version of the TCI's. This is the original PRS video they released the night of the launch party. Please disregard the fact they call them 85/15's in the video. They made the "overdub" voice change (calling them 85/15's) to reflect the current 2022 model. This way they could use the same video for the current production model. Unfortunately, it seems to have caused some confusion.

TCI's pickup video

I was fortunate enough to get a 2021 with TCI's the first week they were launched. Haven't heard the 85/15's so I can't compare.

The other factor involved is what style of music that you play…. Allman Brothers? Tool? Old Country? New Country? Blues? Jazz? Fusion? Dropkick Murphys? Death Metal:eek:? :) Lead guitar? Rhythm guitar? Both?

Last edited:
The other factor involved is what style of music that you play…. Allman Brothers? Tool? Old Country? New Country? Blues? Jazz? Fusion? Dropkick Murphys? Death Metal:eek:? :) Lead guitar? Rhythm guitar? Both?
I play mostly punk/rock rythm right now, but I'd like the guitar to support mostly tones from pop punk to metal. Maybe in the next 10 years I will be able to reach those styles technically :p Especially since I've had this Cort G260 for the past ~12 years and only now I can afford to upgrade to 800-1000 USD guitar.
Mind that I asked about the differences between pickups, not which are 'better', because I know how those conversations end and would like to make a decision on my own.
This SE Custom 24 geometry (the body and thin neck, especially the neck in comparison to pretty fat neck on my current guitar) feel really well for me and the versatility of 24-08 just makes that better. I just can't figure out where should I hear the difference between 85/15 'S' and TCI 'S'.

I play mostly punk/rock rythm right now, but I'd like the guitar to support mostly tones from pop punk to metal. Maybe in the next 10 years I will be able to reach those styles technically :p Especially since I've had this Cort G260 for the past ~12 years and only now I can afford to upgrade to 800-1000 USD guitar.
Mind that I asked about the differences between pickups, not which are 'better', because I know how those conversations end and would like to make a decision on my own.
This SE Custom 24 geometry (the body and thin neck, especially the neck in comparison to pretty fat neck on my current guitar) feel really well for me and the versatility of 24-08 just makes that better. I just can't figure out where should I hear the difference between 85/15 'S' and TCI 'S'.
Hi. Sorry, I can’t help you with the difference in tone of those pickups.. I play a DGT, and that model uses a proprietary pickup…

Don't know if this will help much but I got an S2 McCarty double cutaway about a 18 months ago and recently bought the SE Custom 24-08. Both guitars are fantastic to play, and the build quality is excellent on both.

The SE is my first non American guitar and I bought it with lower expectations, as I wanted the S2 24-08 but my dealer said they wouldn't get any until April 2023. Well my lower expectations completely were unfounded on the SE. It's a great guitar and literally hard to put down.

My S2 McCarty with the 85/15 S pickups is a bit warmer/darker sounding in humbucking mode in the neck pick up compared to my SE. So just a bit more bass on the neck in the of the McCarty.

The SE tci pickups have a great sound and very well balanced. They split coil much better than my 85/15 s in my S2 McCarty, and overall sound a bit brighter. Whether the result of the S2 McCarty feeling thicker and beefier over the SE body, I don't know.

I seldom split coil the S2 McCarty and mostly play middle postion with both humbuckers. The SE Custom 24-08 I've only had a few weeks, but so far I like both the middle position both humbuckers or middle position with split coil neck and humbucker on bridge.

I am a hobbyist and not an expert guitarist. Both guitars are played through a vintage 1968 Princeton Reverb.

My S2 McCarty with the 85/15 S pickups is a bit warmer/darker sounding in humbucking mode

Yep as a guy with guitars with both 85/15S and 58/15S , I came to the same conclusion. The 58/15 has a different "aural" balance (more mids, with balanced hi's and low's , where the 85/15S is more "smiley faced" EQ, with higher lows and Highs ... or "brighter" sounding

But , if your guitar is a S2 McCarty, then the pickups are 58/15's . Yeah, I know the dyslexia thing can mess that up

I much prefer the 58/15S . And the question for me is ,is there a difference between the TCI/S, and the 85/15S ?

Sure sounds like it in the demos ...

I have the 85/15S in 2 SE's . Replaced one set , and will probably do the other . They fall down hard when coil split (sound thin & anemic)

Whereas the TCI/S , sound really robust and single coily when split ! I will not buy another guitar with 85/15S, or if I do , figure in replacement pickups in the price.

The 58/15S I figure sounds great split... they brighten up But nowhere near Strat/ Tele single coily. And perhaps its not fair to expect that . 58/15S split are brighter, but not thin and anemic like coil split 85/15S .

But for some reason, the TCI/S seems to get the closest to single coil tone ...

Wish PRS would just replace the 85/15S with the TCI/S ...

My experience so far with my 2022 se custom 24-08 with tci S pickups; When the distortion is on, rolling back the guitars tone knob gets you very close to a JB sounding bridge pickup. On the other hand though, turning the tone all the way up on bridge. The tci beats the JB on the clean channel, in my opinion. Pretty versatile guitar.

Back