SE cu24 questions?

Which one would you choose? Please also tell why.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EJJS

Hello there PRS lovers! I'm about to buy a new guitar and my local guitar store has quite a many PRS SE's in stock(for quite small store in quite a small city) . Here are the ones that fit my budget:

2021 custom 24
Around 899

35th anniversary custom 24
Around 999

Possibly 2021 custom 24 floyd(They said it has RW fretboard when I asked but the PRS
website says it's an ebony board)
Around 960

Mark Tremonti sig
Around 899

Standard 24
Around 599

Not really interested in the standard though.
Now for couple questions:
How are the pickups? I want something versatile can also do heavier styles?
How is the hardware?
Are there any differences between 2020 and 2021 models?

Also my budget is 1000€ so feel free to recommend other guitars.
I know some people are gonna say get an used CE24 or S2 but sadly that's not an option. Sorry.

I voted Standard 24. I have an SE Standard 24 (Schizoid) and it's great. If you're not just totally set on getting a figured top, I don't think you'll find a ton of difference in playability or tone VS the SE Custom 24, they have the same pickups, hardware and neck carve. Then you can keep saving toward an S2, CE or core.

I voted Standard 24. I have an SE Standard 24 (Schizoid) and it's great. If you're not just totally set on getting a figured top, I don't think you'll find a ton of difference in playability or tone VS the SE Custom 24, they have the same pickups, hardware and neck carve. Then you can keep saving toward an S2, CE or core.
Thanks for the answer! I am not really looking for a new guitar just to play it while saving up for something better. I'm more looking for something that will I can play for at least another 5 years.

S2, CE or Core would for sure be amazing and last for decades but I just don't have that kind of money and I'm not really ready to pay that much money for a guitar.

So I will keep looking and listening to what others have to say but thanks anyway

So, I'll make two suggestions here....

Based on what's available, 35th. I like it over the Custom 24 because they have basically the 24-08 pickup switch system thing without actually being one of those models (that's the green one they did for this year). Its one of those things where I never knew how much I wanted it till I had it, and I love the single coil sounds out of my 35th. You also get the abalone birds with the 35th, which is a nice little touch. Pickups are great, hardware is rock solid, I always advise looking at a nut swap on SE's, but its a hell of alot of guitar. For the extra coin I'd say its worth it. All of them are great, so you can't go wrong, but the 35th will be the most versatile IMO, and the neck is just buttah.

BUT

Look at the S2 standard. Its the same price as the 35th, and while not as flashy and versatile you get a fantastic instrument that will never let you down. For a US made PRS, hell...for almost any US made guitar, its an incredible value, maybe the best value out there.

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE

It might be a little out of the current budget, but you can find great deals on the used CE market. I have seen some as low as $1300, and those are amazing guitars that will last you way more than five years. Something to think about.

Based on what's available, 35th. I like it over the Custom 24 because they have basically the 24-08 pickup switch system thing without actually being one of those models (that's the green one they did for this year). Its one of those things where I never knew how much I wanted it till I had it, and I love the single coil sounds out of my 35th. You also get the abalone birds with the 35th, which is a nice little touch. Pickups are great, hardware is rock solid, I always advise looking at a nut swap on SE's, but its a hell of alot of guitar. For the extra coin I'd say its worth it. All of them are great, so you can't go wrong, but the 35th will be the most versatile IMO, and the neck is just buttah.

BUT

Look at the S2 standard. Its the same price as the 35th, and while not as flashy and versatile you get a fantastic instrument that will never let you down. For a US made PRS, hell...for almost any US made guitar, its an incredible value, maybe the best value out there.

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE

It might be a little out of the current budget, but you can find great deals on the used CE market. I have seen some as low as $1300, and those are amazing guitars that will last you way more than five years. Something to think about.
Not trying to sound like a ******** but did you read the last part of my post?

BUT

BUT WAIT, THERES MORE

But I will be trying out the guitars. The 35th seems like the best option. I don't know what styles of music you play but how are the TCI S in a high gain context. I have heard somewhere that they are supposed to be P90-ish.

But I will be trying out the guitars. The 35th seems like the best option. I don't know what styles of music you play but how are the TCI S in a high gain context. I have heard somewhere that they are supposed to be P90-ish.

I play everything, lot of prog stuff (Rush, Yes, Floyd). That said, I don't really use high gain sounds very much, but these are pretty solid pickups that are kinda jack-of-all-trades things. I imagine you can pull of high gain metal tones with ease on these. I would'nt say these are like P90's, they feel more fuller sounding to me. They are full on humbuckers for sure. Output is higher than a standard PAF style thing at around 11k Ohms. So good mid gain output.

I play everything, lot of prog stuff (Rush, Yes, Floyd). That said, I don't really use high gain sounds very much, but these are pretty solid pickups that are kinda jack-of-all-trades things. I imagine you can pull of high gain metal tones with ease on these. I would'nt say these are like P90's, they feel more fuller sounding to me. They are full on humbuckers for sure. Output is higher than a standard PAF style thing at around 11k Ohms. So good mid gain output.
I'm glad to hear that. Heaviest I will go with it is gonna be more of that Opeth kinda thing which isn't all that gainy. I suggest you to go check their newer albums out if you like the older 70s and 80s prog rock. the older ones are alot heavier though.

Also, which finish is your 35th? The one I'm looking at is the faded blue burst.

I'm glad to hear that. Heaviest I will go with it is gonna be more of that Opeth kinda thing which isn't all that gainy. I suggest you to go check their newer albums out if you like the older 70s and 80s prog rock. the older ones are alot heavier though.

Also, which finish is your 35th? The one I'm looking at is the faded blue burst.

Sounds good, always like a little Opeth in the morning. :)
I have the Blue Burst. Couldn't help it, saw that color come thru Sweetwater last October, and jumped on it.

Sounds good, always like a little Opeth in the morning. :)
I have the Blue Burst. Couldn't help it, saw that color come thru Sweetwater last October, and jumped on it.
Nice! Do you have any pics of it? Would love to see how to the finish looks in natural light.

I have a 30th floyd SE cu24 that's highly modded but it's always been my favorite SE, now 1000%. The only SE that impressed me more or as much as my 30th is when I played a 35th. I haven't owned one but have played a a dozen and a few of those for extended periods when I debated getting one or go core. I even played one Saturday.

If you want a floyd go floyd if you don't the 35th is what I'd do for the nothing more than being a 35th.

Sadly you’re not in the states. Dave’s has used 35th anniversaries and SE custom 24s for much less than new. I bought both from them and they’ve been significantly upgraded. I voted 35th Anniversary because I didn’t change the pickups in mine. The TCIs split really well and the individual coil splits make that guitar more versatile in my opinion.

My SE custom is older, it is my number 1 guitar, but that is because it has the Bareknuckle Stormy Mondays in it. But they play pretty much identically, which is to say for me (and it is very personal) the wide thin neck is the best neck shape I’ve tried. You mileage will certainly vary.

The one option you’re leaving out is the SE SC Santana, which is what I would want over all of the ones you listed. I think all mahogany guitars sound better ( my opinion), greatly prefer the wide fat neck profile, and love the 24 1/2 inch scale.

The only thing (for me) would be the extra cash for tuners, nut, and trem.

I had a standard before I had a custom. I would have kept the standard but I got a smoking deal on one of the exotic topped ones. They play exactly the same. If you told me you could hear a difference, I’d tip my hat, but my guess is that you wouldn’t hear a difference.

Nice! Do you have any pics of it? Would love to see how to the finish looks in natural light.

Yup. Here ya go!

Yr29Z8n.jpg

vAYASzK.jpg

Back