se angelus bridge pins

I think I posted here a while back about the same thing. I put in Ebony pins, only to discover Angelis SEs use thinner pins. But....why? Why?

I had to carve the ebony pins down, and it was...semi successful. They work. They don't look great, but they work.

I think I posted here a while back about the same thing. I put in Ebony pins, only to discover Angelis SEs use thinner pins. But....why? Why?

I had to carve the ebony pins down, and it was...semi successful. They work. They don't look great, but they work.
I asked PRS customer support about this. They explained that they use “presentation” style bridge pins. Don’t know why they went with this less common style. Anyway, if that’s news to you (it was to me!) then here’s an option for replacement pins:

https://graphtech.com/collections/tusq-bridge-pins-presentation-style

I asked PRS customer support about this. They explained that they use “presentation” style bridge pins. Don’t know why they went with this less common style. Anyway, if that’s news to you (it was to me!) then here’s an option for replacement pins:

Well slap me thrice and call me Sally, I had no idea there was a different thickness. I assumed there was only one style of pin. My mind has been blown.

Just ordered an aged bone abalone-dot 5mm set from JellyFishAudio. Thx for the heads up regards the 5mm diameter; had tried the larger 5.2mm set with my previously owned A60E, but it was a challenge sanding them down until they fit correctly. Happier to have located the correct size on eBay (Advanced Search > User Name > JellyFishAudio).

Last edited:

FYI, I just received a brand new A60E and also ordered as suggested above the TUSQ Bridge pins (PP-2000-00 presentation) and to my surprise, they don't fit at all. They are absolutely too small diameter wise.
Could PRS have changed their bridge on their 2022 production?

If you look at the picture below from Graphtech, the pin I removed from the A60E is exactly like the one on the left (traditional) and not the presentation... (shaft is longer too on the PRS original)

Will email PTC and report.

Bridgepinsizing_Feb_2022_update_480x480.png

Capture-d-cran-2022-10-25-15-12-25.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, I just received a brand new A60E and also ordered as suggested above the TUSQ Bridge pins (PP-2000-00 presentation) and to my surprise, they don't fit at all. They are absolutely too small diameter wise.
Could PRS have changed their bridge on their 2022 production?

If you look at the picture below from Graphtech, the pin I removed from the A60E is exactly like the one on the left (traditional) and not the presentation... (shaft is longer too on the PRS original)

Will email PTC and report.

Bridgepinsizing_Feb_2022_update_480x480.png

Capture-d-cran-2022-10-25-15-12-25.jpg
They likely did change them. Someone probably had the sense to say “why don’t we switch to pins that are readily available and almost standard!?” :cool:

They likely did change them. Someone probably had the sense to say “why don’t we switch to pins that are readily available and almost standard!?” :cool:
Well apparently not, according to customer services:

"That is correct that we will use Presentation-sized bridge pins on SE Acoustic models.
I cannot confirm if the specific Tusq bridge pins will work with the guitar since we do not officially endorse these aftermarket parts. If they do not fit in your PRS Guitar, it would be advisable to request a return for these parts."

I'm confused, as you can clearly see the difference on my picture tho...
I ordered the Traditional TUSQ Pins, will see how they fit!

I am having the same issue right now.
Have a 2022 A60E, mfg date 3/2022.
@Julien, did you get the standard ones?
Which one was a good fit for yours?

Mine look like yours, and measure 5.1 mm when measured as graph tech explains. What is manufacturing date of yours?
Thanks.

I am having the same issue right now.
Have a 2022 A60E, mfg date 3/2022.
@Julien, did you get the standard ones?
Which one was a good fit for yours?

Mine look like yours, and measure 5.1 mm when measured as graph tech explains. What is manufacturing date of yours?
Thanks.
Well, I have news indeed :)

Mine shows a date of: 5/2022

So, after I tried the Presentation-Style Pins from TUSQ that were way too thin, I got the Traditional Style Pins from TUSQ again.
Guess, they won't fit either...this time it's too big, it stops about 5/6mm above the bridge and there is no way I will push harder to fit them in. (see picture below)

Also owning a Parlour PE20, I tried the spare pin that came with it on the A60E, and like the first Presentation-Style pins from TUSQ, this won't fit in it, way too small...
I took the following picture before sending back the Traditional from TUSQ, with the spare from the PE20, the spare from the A60E and the TUSQ:

So right now, neither the presentation or traditional style pins (at least from TUSQ) fit in my brand new A60E... Weird isn't?!
Other than that, I lowered the action to 1.60mm on high E at 12th fret and just above 2mm on Low E at 12th, some truss rod adjustment, elixir 11-52, and it plays absolutely perfectly!

Well, looks like the presentation ones might fit if they’re pushed down to the “collar”, but that is somewhat a small area, and considering how they’re shorter too, it’s unlikely to stay in place. Or provide any tuning stability.

Guess the answer is to use traditional and sand it off a bit. As far as I remember from nuts / saddles, Tusq isn’t too bad to sand. A drill or screwdriver can help with speed and consistent roundness.

Well, looks like the presentation ones might fit if they’re pushed down to the “collar”, but that is somewhat a small area, and considering how they’re shorter too, it’s unlikely to stay in place. Or provide any tuning stability.

Guess the answer is to use traditional and sand it off a bit. As far as I remember from nuts / saddles, Tusq isn’t too bad to sand. A drill or screwdriver can help with speed and consistent roundness.
Nope Presentation ones are too small to stay in position, they fall all the way in, turn the guitar upside down, and they just fall :)
It's like PRS used something in between these 2 styles on the A60E.
Next time I'll take it to my tech, I'll ask him. For now the ones that were stock seem to be ok.
I'll see if I try another brand of pin in Presentation Style are PRS specs them, but I'm doubtful.

So, I received the classical BPs today, in white (Pp-1182-00)

As expected, they do fit, but have to sand off about 0.2mm Ø, that is a lot more annoying than it sound originally.
1. You have to sand from the bottom up, because the classical pins are not only thicker, but shorter. They will stop somewhere under the bridge before they stop at the collar. Sand too much near the head, and it will get damaged and sink too much.
2. You don’t want to sand it so much that the head buries inside the recess of the bridge. It becomes nearly impossible to pull them. It can happen w/ the factory equipped plastic ones; my tech already put some marks on them when he set the guitar up.

It’s some work. 30 minutes and 33.3% done.

Clarification: My 6th went in too deep. 5th is about what I want to see; but I’ll check tuning stability tomorrow.

It’s been so long that I don’t remember the exact details of what I ordered, but I replaced my pins on a t50e with ebony and an abalone dot like what I see on a bunch of the core PRS acoustics. They were larger than stock and I used the Stew Mac reamer to fit them exactly how I wanted. Turned out great and didn’t take long to get them just right. I’ll see if I can get a pic tomorrow…

Nice to see guys.
But the question is still not answered as why PRS PTC specs Presentation pins, when neither the Presentation or Traditional will fit straight of the box without any kind of modification involved...
I leave the originals ones in there for now until next time.

Also, I'm perfectly aware of the price range of the A60E, but anyone had any experience with this A60E and a Martin 000-28 or OM28 by any chance? Are the Martin that much better for the extra price you pay compared to this A60E? (I consider the A60E to be a good guitar for the price already, but 4000€ for a Martin, 4x times better than this SE?)
Guess you can only know for yourself when you played one maybe :)

For an update:

I did receive and modify classic pins.

A little work required, but it turned out alright.
I just ended up with a couple that have a somewhat bland / colorless abalone dot. But other than that works ok. I don’t feel like requesting new ones and go over sanding again.

I don’t feel the tone changed, but sustain is even better.
Attached the results.

Back