SC 245 vs 250, vs 594

Didn't want to start a whole new thread..... What is the deal with SC245's? Did the 594 McCarty kind of replace/update the 245? I have a 594 Hollowbody and am looking at a SC245 as a backup. The SC245's seem to be priced lower on the used market. I'm looking at a 2016 FWIW. How many times have they released the SC245?

Didn't want to start a whole new thread..... What is the deal with SC245's? Did the 594 McCarty kind of replace/update the 245? I have a 594 Hollowbody and am looking at a SC245 as a backup. The SC245's seem to be priced lower on the used market. I'm looking at a 2016 FWIW. How many times have they released the SC245?
Not Sure On How Many Times They Have "Released" The 245. I Own A Couple Of Them And Absolutely Love Them. One Is OG And The Other Is The Modern Era Fixed Two Piece Bridge Set Up, Binding, Etc. Great Guitars!

PRS sold ...some... SC245s over many years and many variants as they tried to get that model to catch on. The 594s were a success from the git-go and I have to believe they smashed the sales figures on the SC245s. So the 594s took their place in short order in the PRS product line. I prefer the 594s slightly for the knob layout, but they're both great guitars. If you're an SC245 fan, well, cash in on the fact that their used price is probably lower than a comparable 594!

Speaking of SC's just stumbled across this one locally ..

2008 PRS Singlecut Trem 1 piece10-Top​

GREAT price if I pick up there ..
PRS_SC_Trem_1pc_Red_01.jpg

I'll probably head over monday to play it , about an hour 1 way drive .. worth it .. I saw a similar one for $1400 more so this is probably coming home IF Iike the way it plays .. I was leaning towards an all brazilian neck single but it's 2x the $$
yo11ple8ywkaonjwfviy.jpg
citpfyww6zrotoyevswr.jpg

Last edited:
well that lil quilted Ruby singlecut was gone when the store opened yesterday :( , but hey at least I got the awesome IRW neck McSoapy .
The amber Brazilian is still on the watch list ....maybe I'll get lucky and it will still be around when the $ is.

well that lil quilted Ruby singlecut was gone when the store opened yesterday :( , but hey at least I got the awesome IRW neck McSoapy .
The amber Brazilian is still on the watch list ....maybe I'll get lucky and it will still be around when the $ is.

Congratulations, that guitar is hot.

The original SC245 was replaced by the SC58 when the 2 piece bridge was introduced, street price around $4k. In 2011 PRS introduced the "Stripped 58" which was the same guitar with less bling that sold for around $2600. In 2013 the same guitars became the SC245 again, with the SC58's bling as an Artist package but unlike the original version of the SC245 and like the SC58/Stripped 58 had the two piece tailpiece and 57/08 pickups.

The 2011/2012 Stripped 58's can go for similar prices to the original stoptail bridge SC245's. Here's my 'Stripper':

S1.jpg

Last edited:
I really liked my '06 Singlecut (hardtail) - just moved it to get a DGT instead with a trem and a slightly smaller neck. #7 neck pickup was okay but the bridge position was kind of bright/thin so I sswapped in a Tone Zone. Absolute ripper after that! It improved a bunch of the usability issues I always had with Les Pauls like the tuning stability and clarity.

Old post...

Can you get an SC245 to sound as big as a 25" scale PRS or is the smaller or shorter scale is what it is?
I read a pro review that the shorter scale of the SC245 and the SC58 takes getting used to and it's brighter sounding and sharper than longer scale guitars?

I also read that the two piece bridge adds midrange.

I do love my SC250 and 01 SC.

Old post...

Can you get an SC245 to sound as big as a 25" scale PRS or is the smaller or shorter scale is what it is?
I read a pro review that the shorter scale of the SC245 and the SC58 takes getting used to and it's brighter sounding and sharper than longer scale guitars?

I also read that the two piece bridge adds midrange.

I do love my SC250 and 01 SC.
I'm curious about this as well. I own 3 early year Singlecut's, and I'm on a quest for a blue Singlecut. One of the blue Singlecut's I'm watching is a SC245.

58/15LT, no? ;)
I have a set of 5815LT pickups coming.

With the 8515 set i have, I just didn't care for the bridge pickup and while the neck was the absolute best sounding neck PU I've ever played i just couldn't find a bridge PU that balanced well with it.

I bought the 5815LT set mainly for the neck pickup but I'm thinking I may put both in my 2000 McCarty.

I keep reading comments about how the LT set is considered by some to be the best PUs prs has put out and I just want to make sure I give that vein a fair shake.

My tone has changed a bunch since that first 8515 set went into my older McCarty and the amps I have now are different as well. I just don't want to miss an opportunity to have the best tone possible out of my older McCarty.

I currently have 5310s in it now. Bridge is covered neck is not and I originally thought the LT neck being lower output would mate well with covered 5310 bridge.

We shall see.

Back