Satin S2 owners, any issues with stands?

The Steady

One of the larger Paul Reed Smith dealers has this on their website regarding the nitro finish:

"Please note, if your guitar has a nitro finish, we strongly recommend not hanging or setting the guitar in a guitar stand/hanger outfitted with chemically active synthetic/surgical tubing. Doing this may cause a chemical reaction with the nitrocellulose finish on the neck (ex: CE, Swamp Ash) or the body (ex: Modern Eagle, DGT, Sunburst Series), which could cause the finish to dissolve. Nitro is also prone to chemically react to exposure to leather straps and other synthetic materials. Do not store your nitro-finished guitar with your leather strap attached as this could cause the finish to dissolve. This damage will not be covered under the PRS Limited Lifetime Warranty."

Has anyone owner here if an S2 Satin guitar had an issue with such a contact reaction? Glossing from rubbing I get, it add character IMO, but the above states that contact with stands or even some straps can cause a reaction with the nitro. Are they overthinking it?

Some rubber coated stands or hangers will cause the nitro to "melt". Also, leather straps that are always left on the guitar, and in contact with the finish can cause that same problem. I have several nitro finished PRSes, and use Hercules wall hangers. No issues. Also, the floor stand that PRS makes is safe for all of their finishes.

Thanks both so far.

I like to use cotton straps from Levy's but they have suede leather ends. Is suede an issue or just tanned leather does anyone know?

Last edited:
Some rubber coated stands or hangers will cause the nitro to "melt".
This happened to my Gibson Gospel reissue. Left it on the stand for months (maybe years) and one day noticed a fingerprint size area that looked like the finish had melted and I guess it had. Now I drape a piece of an old towel over the stand where the neck rests, regardless of the type of finish on the guitar.

Back