Santana kicks butt

dazco

This was the first Saturday since i got the Santana SE. The significance is that every Saturday i crank MP3's and have a little jam session at home. I played gigs non stop for 25 years, but since '04 when i quit playing out my only joy is on Saturdays when i crank the music and jam along, and it's now my only way that i can see how well a guitar cuts thru the mix. The reason i am even posting this is to say how floored i am with this guitar's ability to cut thru a mix. THE #1 most important feature of a guitar, at least to a gigging musician is to cut thru a mix right. Usually when saturday rolls around i end up running thru my guitars trying to find he one that seems to cut thru the mix just right that nite, and it's usually futile trying to get one to really cut right. Tonite i started with the gibson P90 special because it's the one that usually cuts best even tho rarely perfect. It wasn't doing well so i picked up the santana hoping for improvement but expecting a lot less than i got....it cut so good i was amazed. Floored really. The LP was barely usable by comparison. I really love the Santana and figured it might work pretty good, but this was beyond that. It absolutely blew that gibson away.

I think i'm really going to sell my guitars and get a few PRS's ! In tha last few years i've gone thru many guitars and none have been so good as this PRS. It just keeps getting better. I think i'm going to sell the LP special for a PRS soapbar SE. Why not....they're just that good.

Last edited:
Man, your enthusiasm is contagious! Love it! I have a Bernie, it is awesome, you will really enjoy it.

I know what you mean.
I have owned two Gibson's and currently have one still, and my PRSi blow them away.
And I have played many other Gibson's in the past.

Same story here. Used to revere my five Historic Gibson's, but after one PRS turned into five, I'm down to two Gibson's. Tone aside, the other factor for me was the overall incredibly high build standard of PRS compared to the spotty Gibson standard. It became very frustrating. My two remaining Historic's are keepers (Byrdland and LP), but I won't be surprised if I end up with another PRS or two.

Man, your enthusiasm is contagious! Love it! I have a Bernie, it is awesome, you will really enjoy it.

LOL, yeah, i can be a bit excitable. :biggrin: It's just that when something just works like this and i'm not straining to get a tone and constantly tweaking the amp trying to fit in it such a joy. What odd is the 3 other guitars i mostly use are a P90 gibson, a strat, and a 72 thinline tele RI with boutique pups. You would think those would cut much easier but nope. Last nite when i started with the gibson it was buried in the mix and when i plugged the PRS in it was NOT a subtle difference. Thats what blew me away. It was like someone pulled a blanket off the amp. And what is so weird about that is by itself the santana seems darker than the others. I honestly feared it wasn't going to cut thru well at all.

By the way, do you know how much your bernie weighs ?

So, mine weighs 8.4 pounds on the bathroom scale. No very scientific, but close enough.

So, mine weighs 8.4 pounds on the bathroom scale. No very scientific, but close enough.

Thats about perfect for a LP IMO. Just heavy enough to get that punch but not uncomfortable.

Back