S2 vs SE 85/15 s pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicroom

Curious as to are there different versions of the 85/15 S pickups.

The 85/15 S pickups I've pulled from my SE have long sticker on the back identifying what they are.

The 85/15 S pickups from my S2 have G&H engraved on the back.

Person opinion is the G&H sounded the best between the two.

Thanks

Curious as to are there different versions of the 85/15 S pickups.

The 85/15 S pickups I've pulled from my SE have long sticker on the back identifying what they are.

The 85/15 S pickups from my S2 have G&H engraved on the back.

Person opinion is the G&H sounded the best between the two.

Thanks

Yeah, that kinda tracks with my own experience. I have 2 SE's with 85/15S . An Indonesian made with "I'm not sure where they or who made them"... And a Korean with G&B's (but truthfully, I have not pulled them to confirm. I "know " through anecdotal evidence the Korean guitars came with G&B pickups.

The Indo set have been upgraded with Vaughn Skow "PRS Replacements" ... (which sound good, do all the things we want the 85/15S to do

The G&B set ... are still in use ... so there is that ...

"G&H" ? are they different form G&B ?

That’s a typo on my part. I meant to type G&B. I have really enjoyed the 85/15 S pickups with the labels. I’ve had 4 sets of them in different guitars, but the S2 versions definitely seem better. If the G&B are purposely a higher quality grade, it would be nice to have that knowledge.

Thanks

That’s a typo on my part. I meant to type G&B. I have really enjoyed the 85/15 S pickups with the labels. I’ve had 4 sets of them in different guitars, but the S2 versions definitely seem better. If the G&B are purposely a higher quality grade, it would be nice to have that knowledge.

Thanks
I think its just a manufacturing difference... The only one I have found between Korean & Indonesian SE Builds ...

Hey , Not to be too whatever, but are you sure, your S2's are not 58/15S ?
I find those to be much better than the 85/15S mainly because I'm not keen on "bright" pickups ...

Thanks

G&B used to be the Korean pickups for all "S" pickups SE/S2. I wonder IF they switched pickup supplier/manufacturer part of the Indonesia switch. If this is the case its kinda difficult to say the old ones are upgrades. Pure speculation, but I also wonder if this has to do with the shift to TCI? I'm not saying they are TCI as much as I'm wondering if this may be part of the foundation to begin the switch on import pickups?

We also have to consider the guitar itself has as much or more to do with the pickups sounding better than the back labeling.

I'd personally steer clear of the vaughn skow pickups. Reading the sales rubbish about PRS pickups is enough for me. There are plenty of other pickup manufacturers in that price range and cheaper that stand on their own merits without bashing a manufacturer. You can even pick up a set of used 85/15 (or others) for the around the same price.

I have G&B 85/15 S pickups in two S2 guitars and I have no complaints about them. Without generically listing buzzwords I'll just say they do what they are supposed to do better than average for a OEM pickup. To think that they automatically have to be swapped out because they aren't USA PRS wound or from a name brand would be a fallicy.

I have to admit I used to be in the camp of S pickups need to be swapped. After quite a few experiments, swaps, and guitars. I realized the electronics were a weaker link and there are some of the S pickups I personally don't like no matter what. A couple I've learned aren't for me in the USA version either and one of them I've found I prefer the S over USA. It's all about what sounds right to you in that guitar through your rig. No real blanket statement if you ask me.

I have to admit I used to be in the camp of S pickups need to be swapped. After quite a few experiments, swaps, and guitars. I realized the electronics were a weaker link and there are some of the S pickups I personally don't like no matter what. A couple I've learned aren't for me in the USA version either and one of them I've found I prefer the S over USA. It's all about what sounds right to you in that guitar through your rig. No real blanket statement if you ask me.

I know I didn't like the S HFS/VB in the older S2 CU24 I owned briefly, and I love the stock S pickups in my Velas. I liked the stock pickups in my SE Hollowbody II, but found them dark - probably would have swapped them if I'd kept the guitar. So yeah, no blanket statement from me either.

I know I didn't like the S HFS/VB in the older S2 CU24 I owned briefly, and I love the stock S pickups in my Velas. I liked the stock pickups in my SE Hollowbody II, but found them dark - probably would have swapped them if I'd kept the guitar. So yeah, no blanket statement from me either.

The S HFS/VB is what started me down the wrong path of S blanket thoughts. It shouldn't have considering I've never really been a fan of USA HFS either. I've since come to find I do like the S VB but not enough to keep in a guitar.

I'm in the same camp about the Vela pickups. I absolutely love them! The electronics have been a bit disappointing. I just cleaned my switch for the second time in a handful of months today. Time for a switchcraft.

The S HFS/VB is what started me down the wrong path of S blanket thoughts. It shouldn't have considering I've never really been a fan of USA HFS either. I've since come to find I do like the S VB but not enough to keep in a guitar.

I'm in the same camp about the Vela pickups. I absolutely love them! The electronics have been a bit disappointing. I just cleaned my switch for the second time in a handful of months today. Time for a switchcraft.

Yeah, I had to clean the switch on my solid Vela right after I got it but it's been fine since then. Still, have been thinking about swapping the electronics on principle. I may have an actual pro do it, because I'd love to have a mini toggle for the coil split on the bridge, and don't trust myself to drill into the pick guard and do a complete rewire...

Yeah, I had to clean the switch on my solid Vela right after I got it but it's been fine since then. Still, have been thinking about swapping the electronics on principle. I may have an actual pro do it, because I'd love to have a mini toggle for the coil split on the bridge, and don't trust myself to drill into the pick guard and do a complete rewire...

I must confess I half-arse cleaned it the first time, and until today its worked like a champ. Considering how much I love and play Vela she's worth a switchcraft. I like the toggle idea too, maybe...

My thread really didn't yield anything concrete regarding the question. But it has been useful to me and I thank all of you. Just an FYI since other pickups suggestions are mingled in this thread - if you're looking for a another version of great pickups that work great in PRS guitars - you owe it to yourself to check out the cjlab pickups. I've bought 5 sets over the last 2-years and what a bargain vs. pickup sweetness. Put a set in a S2 24 last week that is a low wind paf type. Played that guitar for Sunday worship yesterday and it shined with sparkle and girth. That set is staying. Back to PRS - for how I play and the amps I use, I found the 85/15 USA version to be very special pickups in the CE I have. Those pickups brings a big smile - just a joy to play. The 85/15 S that were in my S2 shined in split mode - very very similar sounding to my ears to the USA version. When using overdrive in humbucker mode they would be best described as "almost" when compared to the USA version. Just lacking to my ears in strength of clarity. All in all - they sounded good though. I'm just picky sometimes.

My thread really didn't yield anything concrete regarding the question. But it has been useful to me and I thank all of you. Just an FYI since other pickups suggestions are mingled in this thread - if you're looking for a another version of great pickups that work great in PRS guitars - you owe it to yourself to check out the cjlab pickups. I've bought 5 sets over the last 2-years and what a bargain vs. pickup sweetness. Put a set in a S2 24 last week that is a low wind paf type. Played that guitar for Sunday worship yesterday and it shined with sparkle and girth. That set is staying. Back to PRS - for how I play and the amps I use, I found the 85/15 USA version to be very special pickups in the CE I have. Those pickups brings a big smile - just a joy to play. The 85/15 S that were in my S2 shined in split mode - very very similar sounding to my ears to the USA version. When using overdrive in humbucker mode they would be best described as "almost" when compared to the USA version. Just lacking to my ears in strength of clarity. All in all - they sounded good though. I'm just picky sometimes.

Appreciate the maker suggestion. I hadn't heard of them. Looking forward to checking them out more.. The list of my favorites that I actually use:

Wolfetone (great pickups and the BEST to work with)
Brandonwound (newish addition that impresses me more and more everyday)
Porter (Excellent, a level above)
Bootstrap (Top quality and affordable)
Cavalier (Rob rocks tele pups like no one else)
Fralin (some of the best)
Seymour Duncan (my go to major maker)

Wish I could be of more help about the 85/15s versions. I really only know about the G&B. I'm interested to hear more on the answer too. I keep wondering if the maker changed labels? PRS changed sources? Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I'm with you on the 85/15 and CE. That's the first guitar I heard and liked the 85/15 in. To my ears they sound best there. The 85/15s pickups I've owned I found the same. They did some things well, others almost, and then for me some things they just didn't. I can get picky too.

My experience with all of PRS pickups is they split the best in the business. It has to do with how they are wired more than the pickup. I was playing my Core Cu24 last night with 59/09 after my favorite strat. I had my rig dialed in for the strat. I was surprised how close my Cu24 was able to nail those single tones.

Last edited:
Appreciate the maker suggestion. I hadn't heard of them. Looking forward to checking them out more.. The list of my favorites that I actually use:

Wolfetone (great pickups and the BEST to work with)
Brandonwound (newish addition that impresses me more and more everyday)
Porter (Excellent, a level above)
Bootstrap (Top quality and affordable)
Cavalier (Rob rocks tele pups like no one else)
Fralin (some of the best)
Seymour Duncan (my go to major maker)

Wish I could be of more help about the 85/15s versions. I really only know about the G&B. I'm interested to hear more on the answer too. I keep wondering if the maker changed labels? PRS changed sources? Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I'm with you on the 85/15 and CE. That's the first guitar I heard and liked the 85/15 in. To my ears they sound best there. The 85/15s pickups I've owned I found the same. They did some things well, others almost, and then for me some things they just didn't. I can get picky too.

My experience with all of PRS pickups is they split the best in the business. It has to do with how they are wired more than the pickup. I was playing my Core Cu24 last night with 59/09 after my favorite strat. I had my rig dialed in for the strat. I was surprised how close my Cu24 was able to nail those single tones.

Thank you for the excellent dialogue. You and I think a lot alike. I've used and still use a lot of great pickups in different guitars with a preference towards the vintage side of things. I hope you do check out CJLab since they are thinking outside the norm with innovative wiring / options. They are relatively new and small but their pickups sound so good I want them around for years to come. For the guitar player these kinds of pickup options we have today are like candy - but there are a lot of weeds to search in. Every now and then a few gems rise to the top.

Thank you for the excellent dialogue. You and I think a lot alike. I've used and still use a lot of great pickups in different guitars with a preference towards the vintage side of things. I hope you do check out CJLab since they are thinking outside the norm with innovative wiring / options. They are relatively new and small but their pickups sound so good I want them around for years to come. For the guitar player these kinds of pickup options we have today are like candy - but there are a lot of weeds to search in. Every now and then a few gems rise to the top.

Welcome! I plan on it. Maybe sooner than later, there's a project on the bench now that I'm still debating on the pickup direction. I couldn't agree more. We are in a great time for pickups and gear in general. So many winders and the more we can share our prospecting experiences the easier it is to find the gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back