S2 Vela ergonomics question

My Vela is a comfortable guitar unlike my torture stick SG.. Dig me some SG but they have to be the worst ergos for me. So I'd say the Vela does not sit like the SG.

With your unique situation I'd definitely find one to try first.

Thanks everyone! Based on your comments, I am confident I need to seek for other PRS models. Luckily there are other good options as well!

I have a Vela semi and an Epiphone SG. When sitting with the Vela (with the guitar on my right leg) it's shifted way to the right making access to the upper frets difficult. When rested on my left leg it's much better. Playing the Vela while standing is pretty comfortable but things are still shifted to the right a bit more than I prefer.

Keep in mind that I have some mild problems with my fretting hand and I'm not downgrading the Vela at all. I've said it here before, of all the guitars I own the Vela took me the longest to adapt to because of hand issues. But playing the Vela while standing is very comfortable once my hands are warmed up. I think because of the Pattern Regular neck carve being a bit on the smaller side I found I have to think ahead more on this guitar than any other especially when changing fretting positions from near the nut to the 12th fret. It's like I'm telling myself "don't forget to place your hand like this when playing that chord at the 12th fret." I've never had any shoulder issues as you mentioned with the Vela.

Again, because of hand issues, my SG is more comfortable while sitting (with the guitar resting on my right leg) than the Vela because everything on the SG is shifted way more to the left. For upper fret access I haven't played a more immediately comfortable guitar sitting or standing. But again, that's what works for me and may not apply to others. We're all built a little different and what works for some may not be so good for others.

Thanks everyone! Based on your comments, I am confident I need to seek for other PRS models. Luckily there are other good options as well!
I’m not sure there’s any PRS models that are configured the way you need them to be. One of the hallmarks of the PRS design philosophy is balance, and every one I’ve played (and I’ve played a ton of them because I sold them for 18 years) has sat the same on my leg. It’s been forever since I played a Mira so I can’t say for sure whether that one is different, but that’s the only model I can think of that might be. Even if PRS builds a Tele at some point, I imagine they’d build it with a forearm carve (which would be blasphemy imho). Luckily there are tons of great boutique builders building PRS-level Teles out there!

I’m not sure there’s any PRS models that are configured the way you need them to be. One of the hallmarks of the PRS design philosophy is balance, and every one I’ve played (and I’ve played a ton of them because I sold them for 18 years) has sat the same on my leg.
Most of them sit on my leg just fine. It's just the S2 series that has a different kind of contour / bevel that is too "slippery" under my right arm. For example Hollowbody SE was great, as were most other SE models (but not Silver Sky...strats are the worst for me). I used to own a core McCarty and that was also fine, the edge of the top is much sharper / straight than in S2 McCarty 594 that I have tested multiple times.

Back