S2 TUNER ISSUE

Stuart Kirsh

I've had four strings break in the last several days. Three high E strings snapped off in the same place (inside peg-hole) while re-stringing before string reached pitch. On the third try, I made extra-sure the knob was only finger-tight, despite the fact that the guitar doesn't stay in tune unless the knobs are further tightened.
And. . . it still broke, in the same place, before reaching pitch.

I contacted PRS and they said it was probably a case of the thumb-screw having too sharp a point. They said they'd mail me a replacement.

The D string subsequently broke while I was loosening it in order to adjust the truss rod.

I looked at the screw-ends from the high E and D string tuners and they don't feel "sharp" to me.

The first time I strung the guitar I had no problems.

I'm using D'Addario NYXL 10-46.

I'm thinking maybe I should replace the tuners but I have no idea what might fit without drilling more holes or enlarging the current holes, neither of which is appealing.

Any suggestions ?

OP I have 3 S2s and my first one the 2014 Mira developed this on the D and high E string, I use 9.5s. PRS sent me replacement thumb screws and it solved the problem, unfortunately I guess they wear out but keep in mind it took 4 years of changing strings for this to happen, no issues with my other S2s....yet....lol

because if you think about it, if you have strung them correctly, all the stress is on the shaft, and specifically on the edge of the hole where the string bends around. If it's got a sharp edge it's like a sharp saddle but with heaps more backangle, it will snap every time. If you can fit a tiny file in there you could file ever tuner down in a few mins and never have to replace anything

I've got a little semi-pointed tapered fine grit wheel thingy attachment for my Dremel that I think is small enough to get into a tuning peg hole... Might be able to get one of those.

JJJ: yes-- it does seem like the string is being snapped off at the very edge of the opening, so what you suggest could very well be the case. Thanks for the suggestion. Glide-bpm: I'll see if any of my friends have that Dremel attachment.

Russ73-- that's weird, that you had the same problem with the same strings. . . I guess I could replace all the screws, see if that helps. I know they're available on the PRS website.

When I got my Mann locking tuner conversion I started snapping strings at the post on the higher strings. I decided to not start with the string hole facing the nut, but rather perpendicular when pulling the string taught before locking. What this did was when tuning to pitch, have the string leave the post at a tangent, rather than at a sharp angle out of the hole. Problem solved.

I’d absolutely look at the edges of the post hole. 20 seconds with a piece of rolled up sandpaper at an angle could fix that.

@John Mann: Sir-- I'm a bit confused; I thought Shaller and Gotoh were alternately manufacturing the Phase II tuners for PRS. I replaced all the screws, but this did not solve the problem.
The guitar is still under warranty but I'm not confident that replacing the current units with new ones will improve the situation, so I've opted to go with another brand, entirely.

I tried the D'Addario NYXL 10-46 once because a set came with a guitar I bought, I broke two strings trying to string it up.
I've also had issues with DR Pure blues strings.
Nothing scientific by any means just personal experience my normal brand is DR Tite fit 10-46 never any issues.
Also PRS strings work fine and Regular D'Addario
I would think a bit of emery paper / cloth run thru the hole would solve your issue.

@Rider1260: Interesting that you've had a similar experience with the NYXL's.
As it happened, the string that most recently broke (after replacing all screws was a regular XL-- not NYXL).

It may be that sandpaper would do the trick, but I don't happen to believe a guitar at the S2 price point should leave the factory with such an issue.

BTW, I've had issues with Pure Blues as well. In my case, it was inconsistent gauging.

Hi Stuart - Sorry for your issue and it is true that issue like that should not happen BUT sometimes things just happen and are not caught I could see a bad batch of tuners happening, I'm sure PRS can make things right for you, they have for me even out of warranty.
I have to mention that in total I have only broken 4 strings that I recall on all my PRS ( now 13 ) and have owned many more so that is a pretty normal amount I feel.
I only have one S2 ( Vela ) and the build quality is amazing.
Contact PTC they will set you up !!!!!

Back