S2 Standard 24 Sustain

Firkinahsoul

My Indonesian Jackson has more sustain than my new S2. It's setup very well, medium low action, any power chords peter out very fast. Suggestions?

Sadly, I bought it from a store that has gone out of business. It’s hard to believe this would come from the factory with this bad of a problem. Waiting on PRS to get back to me. Even my PBass dead spot has more sustain.

Sadly, I bought it from a store that has gone out of business. It’s hard to believe this would come from the factory with this bad of a problem. Waiting on PRS to get back to me. Even my PBass dead spot has more sustain.
Is the sustain muted across the whole fretboard or just at a dead spot?

Across the board. My local luthiers aren’t worth a dime so the option is to send it in I guess.

Well if it is truly across the board, I don't see what the problem cold be. Something is sucking the vibration out of the wood. It's an unusual problem.

It’s like when the neck has some convex going on but there is actually a tad of relief to it. It’s very powerful, but anything that needs a second or two of sustain is very sketchy. Changed the strings, moved the pickups down and added a little more relief to the neck with no results. .

Well if it is truly across the board, I don't see what the problem cold be. Something is sucking the vibration out of the wood. It's an unusual problem.
Exactly. I got the satin one for this very reason. Mind boggling.

It’s like when the neck has some convex going on but there is actually a tad of relief to it. It’s very powerful, but anything that needs a second or two of sustain is very sketchy. Changed the strings, moved the pickups down and added a little more relief to the neck with no results. .
Try the dead spot test just to see what happens. Put a weight on the headstock like a C-clamp or something heavy (just protect the headstock with a cloth so it doesn't get damaged). If you do this with a dead fret, the dead spot changes to another fret. Try it here and see if it makes it worse or better. May not do anything but it doesn't hurt to test it.

I know this will sound silly but. Just humor me.

Everly B52 Rocker strings sustain freakishly. Pick up a pack and give them a try, I think you'll be really surprised.

Back