Rust Never Sleeps.

I had a friend whose solution to problematic car noises was "Turn up the radio."

So did I! I almost added that story!

And we're still friends - we get to about 30-35 shows every year. Sometimes more. Sometimes way more. But my wife likes it because she says I'm a good influence on him and keep him out of trouble. What she doesn't say is that if I'm with him, I'm usually not with her.

Not playing can go either direction. I have had times where I haven't played for an extended period of time, longer than a month, and come back and actually played better. It was enough time to shake off some rut dust I guess. I just picked up one of my guitars and plugged it in on Friday for the first time in a while. Outside of nothing coming to mind right away to play, I was moving around on it like I typically do. One thing for me that has helped with this type of thing is when I learned how to apply theory to the fretboard. I still remember a lot of it and that helps me stay where I should be on the fretboard. It probably doesn't hurt that I type for a living so my fingers stay used to moving around.

A little woodshedding will get you back to normal though.

3 1/2 weeks ago I contracted Covid. It was unpleasant, but I've been vaccinated multiple times, and I had a very mild case. However, I didn't do any musical things for a couple of weeks. I was kind if listless.

When I got back to making music, I was working out some orchestral ideas and hardly played guitar. Today, I decided it was high time I practiced guitar. So I played my McCarty Singlecut (I had a dream about it last night, which was odd), and I played my acoustic.

My fingers disobeyed. It felt like I'd never picked up a guitar in my life, let alone played halfway decently. I could hardly do a thing. I was terrible, a no-sh!t-dick-tracy wake-up call.

I swear, the older I get, the harder it is to shake off the rust after even a short break away from the instrument.
I am sorry to hear that. Sometimes I have to force myself to play. Same thing with exercise, but after I do I feel so much better. Keep fighting the fight, cuz it’s not going to get easier!

I'm so concerned about the onset of rust that if I don't get in at least 15 minutes a day, my anxiety level spikes and I become unpleasant to be around. Can you spray undercoat on the brain? Hmmm...

I wish I was kidding...
I get anxious when I'm away from my studio, even on vacation.

Life can get awfully complicated, I guess.

I get it….not only am I old;) but after two shoulder surgeries,I was cleared to play…..wow, talkin rusty. Sucks …
There's irony in this 'life' thing, isn't there?

If asked, most of us say that we want to lengthen our life span. We do all kinds of things to prolong our existence.

But no one actually wants to be...old. And for good reason:

It sucks to be old!.

We hurt in places we didn't know we had. We look terrible. We're no longer even close to the desired degree of hipness. People stop taking us seriously. We become professional medical patients.

The worst of it is that if our luck holds out, the steps we take to lengthen our lives mean 'old' might be our fate for a long time!

I don't know about you, but I'm disgusted by this state of affairs, and before I need diapers and a walker, I'm going to do a One Man March On Washington to demand the abolition of old age. I'm already working on the signs I'm going to carry, but it might take me awhile because I'm...OLD, dammit!

There's irony in this 'life' thing, isn't there?

If asked, most of us say that we want to lengthen our life span. We do all kinds of things to prolong our existence.

But no one actually wants to be...old. And for good reason:

It sucks to be old!.

We hurt in places we didn't know we had. We look terrible. We're no longer even close to the desired degree of hipness. People stop taking us seriously. We become professional medical patients.

The worst of it is that if our luck holds out, the steps we take to lengthen our lives mean 'old' might be our fate for a long time!

I don't know about you, but I'm disgusted by this state of affairs, and before I need diapers and a walker, I'm going to do a One Man March On Washington to demand the abolition of old age. I'm already working on the signs I'm going to carry, but it might take me awhile because I'm...OLD, dammit!

Denis Leary had a bit about how smoking cuts years off your life. He said, "Yeah, but it's the wheelchair adult diaper years. You can have 'em!"

I'm in no rush to head off to the great oblivion, but man, there are days I think, "I remember when I didn't feel like this."

I remember sitting on the floor for hours sorting through magazines and taking out articles I wanted to save - and being able to get up in less than a minute.

I remember walking up concrete stairs silently.

I remember remembering things from the day before.

Denis Leary had a bit about how smoking cuts years off your life. He said, "Yeah, but it's the wheelchair adult diaper years. You can have 'em!"
He's a very funny man. We scored a bunch of his commercials for Ford F150 over the years.

I only mention this because it makes me feel far more important than I really am. Probably makes everyone else roll their eyes.

Believe me, I get it. If I knew me, I'd do everything I could to avoid having to deal with me.

Last edited:
Back