Run down of the of the PRS product lineup?

quickquestions

Hey so I've got a generally awareness of the price stack, but I'm having trouble differentiating the breadth of the lineup.

So price/quality scale it goes Core > S2> SE

But in terms of width, What's the real difference between the Custom 24 and the Standard 24? Between the McCarty and the Standards? The Vela has a unique cut/setup which seems to set it apart, and the Hollow/SH and Satin options are easy.

Thanks

With respect to the 24 guitars, “custom” means it has a maple top instead of only mahogany body.

So price/quality scale it goes Core > S2> SE
It's more like Private Stock > Artist Pack/Wood Library/Limited Edition > Core > S2 > SE with Signature models scattered among them. The width, as you call it, isn't linear. There are many differences among the features and it isn't really possible to put them in an order. If you want to compare two it would be straight forward, but to desceibe all the differences as a group would not be easy or of much value.

It's more like Private Stock > Artist Pack/Wood Library/Limited Edition > Core > S2 > SE with Signature models scattered among them. The width, as you call it, isn't linear. There are many differences among the features and it isn't really possible to put them in an order. If you want to compare two it would be straight forward, but to desceibe all the differences as a group would not be easy or of much value.

I'm not looking for an order, just a list so it's easier to make a decision since the difference aren't so easy to find out or compare.

I'm not looking for an order, just a list so it's easier to make a decision since the difference aren't so easy to find out or compare.

With a name like "quickquestions," You'd almost expect a quick question. ;)

You are asking an extremely deep (wide) question that isn't easy to summarize. Those above were just trying to show that the question is even deeper (wider) than what you asked. While daunting, you are going to have to do some research, or provide some more criteria. You are asking a group of people on the interwebs to regurgitate what PRS has posted to their site. This is a super helpful and knowledgeable group, but cut us some slack and narrow your question down a bit. What are you looking for? What do you like/dislike? What's your budget?

OP, the lineup has changed throughout the life of the company, and specific differences in the same model line sometimes change from year to year. Limited runs, prototypes and employee guitars also make it more than a little confusing for all but the most knowledgeable dealers and collectors.

My $0.02: Don't overthink it. If something looks good, then go for it. When in doubt, buy used and you can usually sell it for what you got it for.

I meant it as a quick question. Not that I need a recommendation for what to buy.

Like, as someone said above the Custom 24 is a standard 24 but with a quilted maple top (an option not available on the S24)

So then is the McCarty a Custom 24 with a different pickup/bridge selection?

The reason I ask is because after spending an hour or two on PRS' website I'm still unclear of what options are limited to what models. For example, can you get a Tremelo on the McCarty as an option, or is that limited to the Standard/Custom 24s? I donno, because the website doesnt really say what are available as options.

I meant it as a quick question. Not that I need a recommendation for what to buy.

Like, as someone said above the Custom 24 is a standard 24 but with a quilted maple top (an option not available on the S24)

The reason I ask is because after spending an hour or two on PRS' website I'm still unclear of what options are limited to what models. For example, can you get a Tremelo on the McCarty as an option, or is that limited to the Standard/Custom 24s? I donno, because the website doesnt really say what are available as options.

No a McCarty is not a custom 24 at all. It's thicker and different scale length....then you get to the McCarty and McCarty 594...which are also different.

Generally each model has it's own specs that are usually wildly different in some ways. Each model also has different production options...which lead to your different "levels" (example: 10top, artist, standard)...but really they are just build options of a certain model. Really all you need is...Private stock, Core,S2, SE....and that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Last edited:

We’re a “goofy” lot around here, so any teasing about your user name isn’t meant to offend.

Price doesn’t clearly amount to quality.

Yes of course you will have a fantastically finished instrument when you participate in the Private Stock program. But however, several members here will tell you of the quality of build with an SE guitar.

For a young person beginning to play, an SE is far better an instrument than most of us here got to learn on.

S2/SE have some unique instruments. S2 are US made and held in higher esteem on here with most.

Core - the flagship models Custom 24/DGT/Santana etc. The history of the company.

Artist Pack - fancier woods/finishes. Quite often dealer requested limited runs.

Private Stock - the skies the limit (pretty much).

Prototype - one offs.

Archive - stuff that Paul has squirrelled away in a room, somewhere in Castle Greyskull.

They let this guy in there once!

It’s a broad answer and probably not absolutely factually correct. @sergiodeblanc will come along and correct me!

In short, SE/S2 is a good place to start if you want to dip your toe in the sea of PRS.

No a McCarty is not a custom 24 at all. It's thicker and different scale length....then you get to the McCarty and McCarty 594...which are also different.

Generally each model has it's own specs that are usually wildly different in some ways. Each model also has different production options...which lead to your different "levels" (example: 10top, artist, standard)...but really they are just build options of a certain model. Really all you need is...Private stock, Core,S2, SE....and that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Thank you, this is the sort of information I'm looking for.

I just needed to find the actual catalog since PRS's website wants to hide all the actual information for some reason. I don't know why they make it so difficult when they literally print the info and mail it out to people.

Last edited:
If you read the PRS web pages for the individual guitar models' specifications carefully (look down towards the bottom), they spell out fairly carefully what's available, including options. Generally speaking, if it's not listed, it's not available. For example, the core McCarty and McCarty 594s have different bridges and different scale lengths. Changing those is not an option (and neither one has a tremolo available). The sole options that are available for those models are 10-top and hybrid hardware.

At various times in past years, birds vs. dots or stoptail vs. tremolo have been options on the core models, but that seems not to be true for the 2021 models. I'd guess that's to streamline production.

That's even more true of the S2 series. They don't have options new from the factory, and they're offered in a limited number of colors. Again that's done to reduce complexity in orders and manufacturing so they can cut production costs.

We’re a “goofy” lot around here, so any teasing about your user name isn’t meant to offend.

Price doesn’t clearly amount to quality.

Yes of course you will have a fantastically finished instrument when you participate in the Private Stock program. But however, several members here will tell you of the quality of build with an SE guitar.

For a young person beginning to play, an SE is far better an instrument than most of us here got to learn on.

S2/SE have some unique instruments. S2 are US made and held in higher esteem on here with most.

Core - the flagship models Custom 24/DGT/Santana etc. The history of the company.

Artist Pack - fancier woods/finishes. Quite often dealer requested limited runs.

Private Stock - the skies the limit (pretty much).

Prototype - one offs.

Archive - stuff that Paul has squirrelled away in a room, somewhere in Castle Greyskull.

They let this guy in there once!

It’s a broad answer and probably not absolutely factually correct. @sergiodeblanc will come along and correct me!

In short, SE/S2 is a good place to start if you want to dip your toe in the sea of PRS.
That was a good day!!! Thanks again, @Shawn@PRS

Back