Rosewood Neck

Also, one more question for you guys who have rosewood necks: Do you find the tone to be brighter or darker than the standard?
thanks

Also! for anyone interested, I'm selling a 2012 tobacco sunburst for a good price. Totally mint condition.

Also, one more question for you guys who have rosewood necks: Do you find the tone to be brighter or darker than the standard?
thanks

That is a surprisingly difficult question to answer in an unambiguous way, but I'll give it a go with my impression. I find that Brazilian rosewood favours lower harmonics, which some might characterize as being darker. I find that affect less extreme with Indian rosewood, which still has a rich harmonic range. To me, a rosewood neck really lets you dig in with a nice rich tone. I find them a bit meatier than mahogany - which I attribute to the lower tones that ring through.

That is a surprisingly difficult question to answer in an unambiguous way, but I'll give it a go with my impression. I find that Brazilian rosewood favours lower harmonics, which some might characterize as being darker. I find that affect less extreme with Indian rosewood, which still has a rich harmonic range. To me, a rosewood neck really lets you dig in with a nice rich tone. I find them a bit meatier than mahogany - which I attribute to the lower tones that ring through.

I agree with this.

any recommendations?
I understand the value of actually playing the guitar yourself before buying, but the best selections are probably elsewhere. I'd take a look at some of the superb on line sights like Willcutt, Wildwood, and The Guitar Shop (Canada), where they have a broad selection and give great advice, and will play and give a hands on report on the examples they have in stock. I've bought some of my best guitars that way.

If it were just about feel, I think all necks would be Rosewood! Many are seduced by the feel and later feel that they like the sound of mahogany better. Personally, I love the sound, but it's not for everyone. The phrase I hear mentioned with RW necks is "scooped" mids. I'd follow AeeCee's advice and talk to someone at one of the recommended dealers. Tell them the sound you're looking for and your amp.

Thanks guys, I like a thicker, darker tone anyways so the rosewood might be just what I'm looking for.

Please Help! I just received my PRS Santana SE Vintage Sunburst two days ago. It has a "Rosewood Fretboard" according to the specs. When I play the guitar my fingers turn black, just after a few minutes of playing. I don't mean my fingertips, I mean my entire fingers on my left hand turn black. It's like the fretboard is bleeding this black ink. I first thought it might be the factory strings, so I went ahead and replaced them with GHS Santana strings and it does the exact same thing. When I play, my fingers turn black. It almost feels like some type of residue from possibly a dye. I tried calling PRS, but they are closed until Monday (09-23-13). Has this ever happened to anyone? I have another PRS Santana SE (2002) and this never happened with it... Can someone tell me if this black soot will eventually stop or is there something I can do to remedy this? Or is this a defective neck? The guitar was totally sealed from the factory... It's totally beautiful and I would hate to have to send it back... Please advise... Thanks in advance... Rico

Hi, I've had that happened to a Gibson I've owned. It went away within a few days of serious playing tough.
If it doesn't stop after a while, I'd probably return it.

Hi, I've had that happened to a Gibson I've owned. It went away within a few days of serious playing tough.
If it doesn't stop after a while, I'd probably return it.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll play it for a couple of days and see if it stops bleeding. I'll contact PRS on Monday and see what they think if it doesn't clear up. Thanks again... Stay safe... Rico

PRS Rosewood necks are amazing! Its hard to play anythiing else after, though... I'm thinking I've got to get either a Modern Eagle or a RW P22 trem for my next guitar.

Back