Rosewood Neck

cmcgrath72

Hello! I'm thinking of getting a C24 with a rosewood neck. I played a rosewood neck a while back and liked the feel of it a lot. But, didn't have the chance to plug in when I tried it.
I've heard some things through my local guitar tech guy who recommends the I don't get one because they are hard to take care of and get pretty funky and sticky over time.
Is this true? I figured I'd ask here since I'm sure there are plenty of you with rosewood necks on here. Also, tonally what is the difference?
Like I said, I really like the feel and it also looks pretty damn cool too.
Thanks!

Your local guitar tech guy is wrong.

They are as easy to take care of as a Rosewood fingerboard. They need next to no maintenance, and they don't get sticky at all. They can be simply wiped down with a little lemon oil for cleaning, and then a little furniture polish (PRS uses Behold) if you feel it needs to feel slicker.

In terms of sound, there's a little more "oomph" in the lower mids. Some people will tell you they're darker sounding, but that's not the case. The increased prominence of the lower mids "mask" the highs a little, but they are still there. The mids are very focused.

I've had a couple of them, and they're great. So if you like the balance of the tones, go for it. But try one plugged in, just to make sure.

I got to sit down with a couple of rosewood necked PRS for the first time this weekend and they really feel great!

It is good that you posed your question here. We have many forum members with lots of experience with rosewood necks and I'm betting that their combined experience will show how dangerous it is to rely on just one person's 'experience.'

I have no idea what kind of exposure your guitar tech has to rosewood necks, but he does have it wrong. As Les says, rosewood is easy to take care of. Wipe it down after you play it, clean it with lemon oil when needed and polish sparingly.

Here's a test for your tech. Are his fingernails clean? Are his clothes clean? is his hair clean? A no answer to any of those and you can bet his guitars are not taken care of either. Anything neglected will get funky and sticky.

Les is right on.
I have several rosewood necks - one that I've owned for over 10 years. They are NOT a maintenance problem. They don't get funky unless you slime gunge on them and never wipe it off.
No reason not to get one, lots of reasons to get one - they are excellent.

What Les said, plus if you don't dig the tone, try a PRS maple neck from about 2010 onwards. They feel great too as they have a finish that is "sunken" into the wood.

Even the new V12 finish is pretty good, IMO much better than nitro feel wise, especially after a bit of sweat gets brought into the equation.

As far as PRS rosewood necks go I don't see how there's any maintenance issues. The wood is sealed, I just wipe mine down with my guitar rag/cloth every couple days or right after I'm done playing if my hands feel sweaty. I like to hit it with the cloth that comes with Fast Fret (linseed/lemon oil) after I use it to clean the strings. Hard to explain the tonal difference of neck wood. I feel like the density/mass of the wood contributes to the sustain and resonance, in a very positive way!

Your local guitar tech guy is wrong.

They are as easy to take care of as a Rosewood fingerboard. They need next to no maintenance, and they don't get sticky at all. They can be simply wiped down with a little lemon oil for cleaning, and then a little furniture polish (PRS uses Behold) if you feel it needs to feel slicker.

In terms of sound, there's a little more "oomph" in the lower mids. Some people will tell you they're darker sounding, but that's not the case. The increased prominence of the lower mids "mask" the highs a little, but they are still there. The mids are very focused.

I've had a couple of them, and they're great. So if you like the balance of the tones, go for it. But try one plugged in, just to make sure.

Just what Les said....

Plus I think the 'feel' of a neck is a huge part of your tone. If you feel 'comfortable' or 'at home' with a particular wood or finish or shape, then you are going to be able to get the best out of you and the guitar..... and have the patience to dial in your tone!

I play the snot out of my Rosewood neck guitars. Great feel, great tone. I consider them less maintenance, putting PRS Fretboard Conditioner on them when needed. I wipe down my finished necks after every use to remove hand oil. With the Rosewood all of that hand oil almost conditions the neck for you. Rosewood rules!

I've got one with a IRW neck and never had an issue with it getting 'funky' or 'sticky'. It's what's used on finger boards so it can be cleaned if for some reason it gets dirty. BTW: I've recently been turned on to Fret Doctor and it works great as a rosewood conditioner.

If you decide to go ahead with a rosewood necked PRS, just know that they feel incredible and are hard to put down, you might want to set aside some time for that. ;)

Isn't it funny how some Guitar Techs know nothing about some guitars...

I had to take in a GIbson Custom Shop Acoustic for repairs because the neck was warped (PRS Didn't make acoustics in 2007, otherwise I would own a Tonare Grand instead of the Gibson). I told the tech guy that I kept the acoustic in its' case when it wasn't being played (and he could clearly see the Planet Waves Dehumidifier in the guitar itself). He told me that it was natural for all guitars to have movement in the neck after a few years and that NO GUITAR was safe from warping after so long. I then made the comment of "I just wish Paul Reed Smith made the Tonare Grand when I bought this thing in 2007". He laughed and said that Paul Reed Smiths were terrible for warped necks because they don't dry their guitars as good as Gibson and that the 5 grand PRS acoustics ALWAYS had to have their Truss Rods adjusted...

I grabbed my guitar from him instantly... told him that PRS dried their wood better than anyone in the business and told him that the Tonare Grand doesn't actually have an adjustable Truss Rod... I then told him to check out the Factory Tours from PRS and maybe do a little homework before trying to "School" someone on guitars lol

Your Guitar Tech might have experience with other Guitar Companies with Rosewood necks... who knows...

I'd recommend pluging one in and playing it first. The tone is different and not for everyone.

Thanks guys! I'm sold!! I really love the feel. Plus I already own two standard custom 24's from 2012. So I was thinking of selling one to get something different and the rosewood neck with the 5708's seem like and nice contrast/edition to my PRS line up. I kind of had the feeling my tech was wrong. You think NYC the guys would know guitars well but really here most people have a Fender or a Gibson here. Beyond that it gets hard to find a guy especially if you have a floyd rose... Thanks again for the feedback.

Nothing feels better to me than a rosewood neck. Can't see how you can go wrong with one on a CU24.

You think NYC the guys would know guitars well but really here most people have a Fender or a Gibson here. Beyond that it gets hard to find a guy especially if you have a floyd rose... Thanks again for the feedback.
I guess you are not looking in the right places. Some great people here in NY. Anyway, glad you're going with the rosewood.

I own a couple rosewood neck guitars and they are the best thing out there in my opinion. I have never had any problems with them as a matter of fact I've had better luck with them than standard mahogany but both are great.

Crackwood Rules !!!!!

Back