Reverb Pedals - Let's Talk Favorites!

Accutronics tank in the bottom of a Fender Blackface combo.

Oh wait, you said reverb pedal ...

TC elecrromics Hall of Fame mini.
It has 1 dial (more) and you can load it with anything you want
or construct your own reverb with the Tone print thingy.

I also kinda like the Walrus Slo but not enough to own one.

...yet.
I see what you did there...

Accutronics...nice! ;)

Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb.
Yep. Me too. Used to use the reissue tank with an NOS 6K6 as the driver. Loved it, but was THRILLED when the pedal came out. Gave the hardware to my brother who is an actual surf guitarist. He has an original, but it's too fragile to gig.

Free The Tone Ambi Space Is A Stunner!

I've been through alot of reverb pedals over the years, and I haven't found any of them to be "perfect." For starters, I like SIMPLE: one of the best reverbs I've ever heard is what comes on a Fender Princeton. While I do enjoy Halls and such occasionally, 90% of the time, a really good spring is all I need. And I don't like tweaking: I like a minimum of controls, just like the amps.

So even tho I've tried many big-names, in the end, I have an EHX Holy Grail MAX (2 actually, one for each of the amps). I learned about them through Duke Levine... if they are good enough for Duke, they are good enough for me. Good Fender spring reverb simulation, dead simple, no tweaking, and there's Hall and Plate if I want it (even reverse, but I don't use that).

I would like to try a Boss/Fender FRV-1 again... I had one when they were available, but I remember sending it back because it had harsh digital artifacts on the reverb tails... but alot of people still like it, I'd like to try one again, but won't pay what asking prices are now.

I have a Big Sky, but I end up using the Talisman all the time instead. It's just got that Plate thing nailed so well for me.

But what i really want is an actual physical plate, because ... reasons? The only reason I don't have one is because it's such a dumb idea.
I just got the Big Sky and am still working on the possibilities it has to offer. Jury is out as of yet..

Flint, Strymon Flint!
There, I said it.
Simple to dial in a great sound, and the bonus of tremolo make it hard to beat.
Essentially 2 pedals for the price of 1 in a nice neat package.

Last edited:
My favorite reverb is of course the spring reverb in my vintage Fender amps.

That's what I'm used to hearing.

So what pedal do you guys think emulates that tone best?

Been using a TC Hall of Fame II with my PRS HDRX 20.

Really, I'm completely satisfied with it.

Even though it sounds a bit different than 60's "Fender Reverb".

Last edited:

So what pedal do you guys thin emulates that tone best?

1) none nail it, from all that I have tried over many years. But I settled on the Holy Grail (I have the MAX version) because it gets the Fender amp reverb as good as any of them. The real thing is still better. OH: I even bought a Small Bear Metal reverb tank/pedal, with a real spring in it, and I still prefer the Holy Grail.

2) if you're completely satisfied with the TC, be smart and resist the GAS to try other stuff. It's a curse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So what pedal do you guys think emulates that tone best?

I posted earlier in this thread that I use the HOF Mini. It does a pretty good job. I don't even remember what tone print I have loaded into it. I went for something that sounded like the spring reverb in my amps with reverb in them. I have a couple of amps that don't have reverb. I run that HOF Mini in the effects loop to fix that issue. I put a strip of Velcro on the top of one of the amps and made cables that go to the loop jacks without a bunch of extra cable so it is nice and neat. If I want a little more reverb, I reach back and turn one knob, just like on my amps with reverb in therm.

I posted earlier in this thread that I use the HOF Mini. It does a pretty good job. I don't even remember what tone print I have loaded into it. I went for something that sounded like the spring reverb in my amps with reverb in them. I have a couple of amps that don't have reverb. I run that HOF Mini in the effects loop to fix that issue. I put a strip of Velcro on the top of one of the amps and made cables that go to the loop jacks without a bunch of extra cable so it is nice and neat. If I want a little more reverb, I reach back and turn one knob, just like on my amps with reverb in therm.
Haven't tried the mini but I have both versions of the Hall of fame and both sound really good to me.

I don't over do it tho. I "curb the verb"!

I use the Hall of Fame II and keep my original HoF I on my acoustic pedal board.

Haven't tried the mini but I have both versions of the Hall of fame and both sound really good to me.

I don't over do it tho. I "curb the verb"!

I use the Hall of Fame II and keep my original HoF I on my acoustic pedal board.
I am also a light verb user. I use a very tiny bit live or turn it off completely depending on the room. It gets multiplied by the time it comes out front.

The mini version of the HOF only holds 1 tone print. It has just one knob on it to adjust how much of that tone print you are getting. I didn't feel like I needed to have multiple reverbs in one pedal. I just found a tone print I liked and stuck with it.

I am also a light verb user. I use a very tiny bit live or turn it off completely depending on the room. It gets multiplied by the time it comes out front.

The mini version of the HOF only holds 1 tone print. It has just one knob on it to adjust how much of that tone print you are getting. I didn't feel like I needed to have multiple reverbs in one pedal. I just found a tone print I liked and stuck with it.
I pretty much leave mine on the "spring" setting, although sometimes I'll use the "hall" setting just to remind myself what it sounds like.

1) none nail it, from all that I have tried over many years. But I settled on the Holy Grail (I have the MAX version) because it gets the Fender amp reverb as good as any of them. The real thing is still better. OH: I even bought a Small Bear Metal reverb tank/pedal, with a real spring in it, and I still prefer the Holy Grail.

2) if you're completely satisfied with the TC, be smart and resist the GAS to try other stuff. It's a curse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Perfect. That’s been my experience as well.

Could "The Best Reverb Sound" Actually Be Two Delays?

I never had a favourite reverb pedal, although I liked Boss RV-5 for a long time. Nowadays, I'm using just a touch of spring reverb from my amp on a clean channel and topping up with a reverb built into my Volante delay if I need it more. I don't do clouds or shimmer stuff; it's tits for what I need it to do.

I have tried fancy stuff, too; like Neubauer Wet and some other dedicated reverb pedals. It's for some, wasn't for me

I never had a favourite reverb pedal, although I liked Boss RV-5 for a long time. Nowadays, I'm using just a touch of spring reverb from my amp on a clean channel and topping up with a reverb built into my Volante delay if I need it more. I don't do clouds or shimmer stuff; it's tits for what I need it to do.

I have tried fancy stuff, too; like Neubauer Wet and some other dedicated reverb pedals. It's for some, wasn't for me
One Of The Best Lessons In This Game Is Knowing What Works For You And What Doesn't.

Over The Years I Would Have Saved Myself A Lot Of Time, Money And Square Footage Had I Stayed True And Stuck To My True Musical DNA And Kept Everything Simple.

Branching Out And Trying New Things Had A Positive Effect And Grew Me Musically But That Is Only About 10% Or So At Best When I Break It All Down.

Back